Got caught for stealing breakroom snacks

I take full accountability for this. It happened on a few occasions mainly due to stress well aware there were cameras in breakroom there. Sometimes I paid, sometimes I did forgot to scan all items and realized that until it was too late to confront HR. Small items definitely like mainly chips or slim jims through a vendor they supply its under $30-40 (not all at once, spread out on few occasions) or so not sure the exact amount but happened here and there, stupid mistake. HR had placed me on suspension regarding this particular incident and might dive deeper due to this. Im sick to my stomach and worried if itll just be a termination and dismissal or worse legal actions. They asked if i wanted to provide a voluntary statement and I said yes, but scared to send it dont know if my remorse will be enough. I know they have a zero policy policy for this. They didnt say much but their policy they told me states “is to be considered misconduct and which may be grounds for dismissal and termination” but not much info was provided other than that the specific steps other than the four steps of progressive disciplinary actions. what is the likely outcome or from personal experiences? Im in Nevada . Havent been able to eat or sleep worrying about if ill be terminated or lead to something serious or both. Really dont want police or court or whatever involved just termination. Its been a day and havent heard anything yet other than to provide statement if needed

Last edited:
Given what i provided do you think it will just be simply a termination? Im scared since its repeated on a few diff occasions for small snacks. Also should i provide statement just incase to express remorse? Just worried as they only viewed one camera footage last Friday and asked how often I get snacks and not too often but has happened here and there. Last friday, where i had my apple wallet open but forgot to attempt to pay. I wonder also how long this will effect my career in this field and how long thats potential misconduct lasts on record or background or if its disclosed… cause i know sometimes there is court or hearing mail whatever it is even as simple as “refusal to work” or maybe it was documentation if im mistaken ugh.

Last edited:
You can give them the statement if you want but it won’t change much. They will term you and deny you unemployment and mark you unrehireable They may even make you pay back once’s they see how much . But I don’t think they will press charges if what you says was few $$ .
Take this as a lesson learned . Target won’t say why you were terminated -however people calling for references can still get the sense of what happened .
For your next job I would suggest not even putting Target as your last job , unless you have someone you trust in Target that you can ask if you can put them down as reference.

Huh. Well since i accepted voluntary statement would me not doing it deem it as being uncooperative and just make matters worse? Maybe i wont directly admit guilt just show remorse, acknowledging the impact of my actions, and demonstrating a willingness to make amends. Genuine question

Last edited:
Its hard to determine final outcome haven’t even terminated yet, just suspended for a day now since yesterday. Concern is like i hope i dont get charged for this.. and just let me go and how can i get away with no being on resume. In the past never had any employers ask why I got left and or got fired(which havent been fired before).

Its hard to determine final outcome haven’t even terminated yet, just suspended for a day now since yesterday. Concern is like i hope i dont get charged for this.. and just let me go and how can i get away with no being on resume. In the past never had any employers ask why I got left and or got fired(which havent been fired before).

It didn't work out.
Sometimes jobs are like that.
You had to look for someplace with more hours, better time etc.
Don't worry about it.
It's not like you were impeached and have 91 criminal charges against you.
Just don't give them anything else to work with.

It’s not hard to determine . They can simply term you for that one video .
You just don’t put down you work at target if you want .
And if you chose to do put it in your resume , figure out how to answer this question “ so tell me why you left Target ?
Not sure how long you’ve been with Target but if it’s been years be prepared for the followed up question . Why now?

Was ap involved in this conversation? If not, hr is just terming you and charges won’t be pressed. To charge you for theft, ap would have called you in their office and played the part of your pal telling you how they understand and they’ve had tough times too, etc, to get you to open your mouth and spill more theft you’ve done. Then charge you for all of it and call the cops.

If that didn’t happen, hr is dumb but cutting you a break.

Me too, unless they stole *every* free snack provided? (much more than reasonable share for 1 person) Also, I was under the impression tsc has cameras, but the actual break room does not...or is that an asants thing?

Me too, unless they stole *every* free snack provided? (much more than reasonable share for 1 person) Also, I was under the impression tsc has cameras, but the actual break room does not...or is that an asants thing?

Our AP guy got in trouble for putting a camera in the breakroom after some DVDs that were donated so folks could watch something other than The Price is Right got stolen.

Huh. Well since i accepted voluntary statement would me not doing it deem it as being uncooperative and just make matters worse? Maybe i wont directly admit guilt just show remorse, acknowledging the impact of my actions, and demonstrating a willingness to make amends. Genuine question
Accepting a voluntary statement, showing remorse, acknowledging the impact of your actions, and a willingness to make amends IS ADMITTING GUILT! Do all that in front of a jury of your peers and your goofy butt will be charged.

1st off, you are catastrophizing the hell out of this as if you robbed a bank, murdered someone, and they want to bury you under the prison (or Target). You need to steal a certain amount before they can charge you with anything ($2000) where I live. So you will not be getting arrested for petty theft.

2nd, you messed up by accepting voluntary statements and trying to cooperate with Target like they will spare you your job for your cooperation. They will not, you're helping them close the case on you, and AP will say anything to get you to admit to everything so they can look good for their bosses. Target isn't trying to help you at all, they are protecting their business.

3rd, you could have saved your job by DENYING EVERYTHING. Do they have you on camera? If they do you have every right to DENY that is you on the camera. I know this because some guy who STILL WORKS at my Target denied himself being caught on camera stealing money from a person's locker, and it worked because he told them they couldn't prove that person in the camera was actually him, but it was LOL!

Finally, I hope you learn not to steal, and not to trick on yourself believing it will do you any good other than your consciousness being cleaned.

Back