Archived GSA/GSTL's and breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I was cashiering, I came into work and my GSTL told me to go cover a fellow cashier's 15 min break. So I took over and she left for her break. I totally understand how draining it can be to cashier all day so I never monitor a TM's 15, especially since the GSA/GSTL will sometimes have them go somewhere else when they come back from their break, so I don't keep track of how long they're gone.

Well the TM came back from her break, and she commented to me saying that she was in the bathroom and the GSTL literally went to get her inside. She seemed quite upset about it and I didn't make any comment on it, just trying to keep it neutral by saying "oh wow" or something like that.

I'm glad I didn't take her side because my GSTL actually overheard everything!! After the TM took over the register, I went up to my GTSL and asked her which lane she wanted me on and she pulled me to the side and asked if that TM was talking about her, and I said yes, she was talking about how you went in the bathroom to get her once her break was up. The GSTL replied saying that apparently that TM has an issue with coming back on time and that she was going to write her up for talking about her to other TM's, etc.

I didn't say anything but for some reason I just feel like it's kind of inappropriate to go grab a TM from the bathroom. If they were hanging in the break room, I'd understand but idk I just feel like it wasn't very nice. If she stood outside the door and waited for her, that would be a different story. But from what the TM told me, the GSTL went inside the bathroom to go get her, and we weren't even in fast service so it wasn't necessarily a priority to have her come back to the floor, plus no one was close to compliance or the end of their shift. But then again, I guess she's known to take long breaks.

I would just like to know what you guys think, obviously there's nothing I can do since I wasn't involved in it, but I just don't think it was right of her to do that.

Personally, I'd be pissed. But I wouldn't have put my leaders in a position to need to hunt me down in the first place.

Then maybe she needs to not wait until her break is over to then disappear into the bathroom to play on her phone for another 10 minutes.

Not that I know anything about ypur store, but I do know about people who do that.

The bigger problem is that your GSTL was talking to you about another tms performance as well as a CA that she would receive.

And going after someone in the bathroom is nuts.

Sounds like too much drama at your store, like yetive said, the TL should not be discussing other TMs business with you. Anyways, carry on

GSTL shouldn't have said anything about the team members performance and writing up.

The "I was in the bathroom" excuse is a notorious one. Team members often hide out there and go on their phone or talk to other team members. I've actually had times where I walked into the bathroom to use it and seen team members leaned up by the sink just chatting.

If she’s known to take long breaks, write her up every time she goes over 15 minutes. Don’t chase her into the bathroom wtf. Also “I’m going to write her up for talking about me” ? What kinda petty mess is that

I had an old GSTL who would come into the breakroom and harass me about when I would be coming back from lunch. And it’s not even like I took long lunches, I’d clock out and set my timer for 45 minutes and he’d come in 20 minutes in and be like “are you almost done omg hurry when are you coming back???” And id have to be like I literally have 25 more minutes chill. It was so annoying

I know the frustration of people going long on their breaks but they didn't handle it in a good way. Very rarely I swing by the break room to give someone a gentle push by saying "hey, how much longer until you're back?" or "when you get back can you cover x". When someone comes back late you just give them the "keep an eye on the time" line, maybe suggest they use timer on their phone, and maybe throw in something about making other cashiers wait longer for their breaks, depending on how late they were or how often it happens. (I'm a GSA, not a GSTL, so all I can really do is heavily encourage people to come back on time.)

That is ridiculous. I think many GSTLs/SELs would have handled that very differently. That would be needlessly embarrassing for the TM if there was anyone else in the restroom, too.

I think a warning, coaching, and then “written up” coaching would be in order. It’s annoying to you and other TMs, but I don’t think it warrants barging into the restroom to fetch a TM...

If she’s known to take long breaks, write her up every time she goes over 15 minutes. Don’t chase her into the bathroom wtf. Also “I’m going to write her up for talking about me” ? What kinda petty mess is that

I had an old GSTL who would come into the breakroom and harass me about when I would be coming back from lunch. And it’s not even like I took long lunches, I’d clock out and set my timer for 45 minutes and he’d come in 20 minutes in and be like “are you almost done omg hurry when are you coming back???” And id have to be like I literally have 25 more minutes chill. It was so annoying
If only we could write them up for talking about us!

Im glad Im not the only one who thought it was kind of rude to get her from the bathroom!! I do understand though that some people abuse breaks, especially their 15 min one since it's paid. I guess it's just weird since the TM I'm talking about is one of those employees who's been at Target for like 20 years, I guess I just expected her to kind of know the rules already. And yeah our store is known for everyone to talk shit about each other lmfao, I didn't even realize that my GSTL probably shouldn't have told me that until I read the comments.

Also this is a super random question but I dont wanna make a separate thread lol but does anyone know if and when the whole process of typing in the access codes with gift cards is gonna end? It started during the holidays, I thought that maybe it was for security reasons, but it's now June and we're still having to put in access codes for every single gift card scanned and it's just annoying lol. Especially since the majority of the guests at my store are senior citizens!! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it and whether it will be a temporary or permanent change :)

I haven't heard anything official, but I'm sure it's permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back