Archived GSTL's love me, GSA's not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if any other team members had this type of problem and if you do/did how you handled it.
I've worked at Target for a little over a year now and I'm trained in softlines, hardlines, flow, cashier, and guest services. The last couple months I've been mostly cashier and guest services. There are 2 GSTL's at my store and they both love me and are always teaching me GSA responsibilities. They both tell me that if there were a GSA position available they would want me to have it. When I'm working with the GSTL's they have no problem with me calling for backup cashiers or helping out other cashiers with questions/concerns if they are busy or just don't see the situation. There are also 2 GSA's at my store, and they are not so fond of me for all the reasons that the GSTL's love me. They are constantly complaining to the GSTL's that I am "stepping on their toes." Does any other cashier/guest services team members have this issue? If so how have you dealt with it?

Well if there aren't any GSAs there, I don't think its a problem... But if my GSTLs were pulling cashiers to do my job instead of myself, well then I'd be pretty pissed (its happened). When there are no GSTL/GSAs present other than myself, I have no problem in delegating extra responsibility to Cashiers for development, but if the other GSA is working with me I always delegate to her first (Breaks, tasks, etc.)

Just be careful when you're working with the GSAs. If I felt like a cashier was trying to replace me I'd be annoyed with that person too ;)

My GSTLs both like me. I'm not sure about the one GSA and I know the other does not. Even on her day off, she managed to treat me like a friggin' idiot when she came through my line and had the nerve to say in a condescending voice, "now pay attention to my products, because I have coupons." I very much enjoyed handing her back one coupon because we aren't Walgreens and another because SHE didn't pay attention and didn't have the right item. She tried to play it off like she was testing me.

Meh. It's a job. In the end, I do my thing, and letting it get to me does no good. I do what I need to do, grit my teeth and put up with being treated like a toddler, because it's not worth it to try and prove yourself to someone who already has you painted into a box.

Your gstls are your supervisors and gsas are just tm's. If your gstls are having you do things that is ok, development is a huge focus right now. If your gstls arent there and its just gsa's id just do what they ask and focus on guests, red cards,etc.

It's entirely possible these GSAs are just being childish and insecure but are you stepping on their toes? Are there ever times where you do something where, if you were in their shoes, you could see why it would bug them, such as delivering help where it wasn't asked for? Just something to consider. Those GSAs may be only be TMs but they are still coworkers and they are still human beings. If you can show them that you respect their roles and are willing to cultivate a positive relationship (if you don't really respect or like them just pretend) with them they may change their attitudes. Or they may not. Either way, this will only reflect well on you by proving you are a team player and will push you even closer to the possibility of becoming a GSA yourself, if you want that. Different stores utilize the GSA role in different ways, but at my store GSAs carry a lot of responsibilities and the GSTLs and GSAs work in very close partnership with each other. When they don't get along, it becomes very unpleasant so if you want to become a GSA it's in your best interest to at least try to get along better with them.

I very much enjoyed handing her back one coupon because we aren't Walgreens and another because SHE didn't pay attention and didn't have the right item. She tried to play it off like she was testing me.

That's when you give her a knowing smile & a wink (when she says she was 'testing' you) & say "of COURSE you were!"

It's entirely possible these GSAs are just being childish and insecure but are you stepping on their toes? Are there ever times where you do something where, if you were in their shoes, you could see why it would bug them, such as delivering help where it wasn't asked for? Just something to consider. Those GSAs may be only be TMs but they are still coworkers and they are still human beings. If you can show them that you respect their roles and are willing to cultivate a positive relationship (if you don't really respect or like them just pretend) with them they may change their attitudes. Or they may not. Either way, this will only reflect well on you by proving you are a team player and will push you even closer to the possibility of becoming a GSA yourself, if you want that. Different stores utilize the GSA role in different ways, but at my store GSAs carry a lot of responsibilities and the GSTLs and GSAs work in very close partnership with each other. When they don't get along, it becomes very unpleasant so if you want to become a GSA it's in your best interest to at least try to get along better with them.

I never intentionally try to step on the GSA's toes. I do tend to try to help whenever I can but that is just the type of person I am. I guess part of the problem is that many of the cashiers will ask me for help because it can be much easier to find another cashier than the GSA and because some cashier just feel more comfortable coming to me. I think it becomes confusing to some cashiers when we have team members who "play" GSA (as we call it at my store, if the GSA calls out either I or one other team member will become GSA). Some of our newer cashier probably become confused as to who they are supposed to ask for help, because I'm right there and they know I can help but I'm not technically the GSA at that point. I've had conversations with both my GSTL's and the GSA's and I think things are getting a little better. I can honestly understand where the GSA's are coming from but I think they are starting to see that I'm only trying to help the team with whatever I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back