Archived Guess I was seasonal or they just didn't want to keep me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well. Went in today, worked my arse off and was given cash as my last check at the end of the day and told I had been hired seasonal (which I was never told). Lots of people gone in the past few days. They said I can't re-apply for 6 months? That's weird but hopefully I find something else fast, the whole thing made no sense and people have been told to go in the middle of a shift this week so either I was seasonal or they just didn't want to keep me. Anywho, thanks for the help while I was here, no warning but moving on lol

Weird there was no warning, cash instead of a check and I had no idea I was seasonal. Oh well.

Sorry to hear, good luck in your search.
Seems like a crappy way to go about things but I'm not surprised.

Yea, the can't re-apply for 6 months makes me wonder, but I know I was doing a good job so definitely confusing. I'm not the first this week though, guess it's that time of year.

Yikes that's super awkward especially with no warning. Hope you find a new job soon. Good luck!

Probably in response to what happened last year at my (& other) store(s) when they told seasonals that they weren't being kept on.
Last year they told several seasonals when their last day would be (they had like 2-3 shifts left). None of them finished out their shifts: one left at day's end & never returned, one left during his break & never returned.

Ya my 90 days was up next week. But when I was hired they didn't specifically say seasonal. I get that they don't tell you early you are being let go but would have still been nice to know! Oh well, I need work with more regular hours. I was according to my time, on the schedule next week... Then it disappeared.

Guess that's how they roll... Still feel fired since I had no idea. They could handle it better IMO

Was also let go, paid in cash and signed off paperwork all before the shift clock-in. I saw hours would have dried up after the New Year's Day; I think the store budget numbers may have come in fast and hard.

That separation did stun me for a moment, but understood the seasonality of retail.

I've had two seasonal jobs - one at Kohl's and one at JCPenney. Kohl's had me fill out a form around Christmas where you could tell them if you wanted to become a permenant member and what position you wanted. I didn't fill it out and I think Christmas Eve was my last shift. JCPenney was a soul sucking overnight stocking job and I can't remember if they stopped scheduling me after New Years, but New Years Eve, I remember leaving for the day and decided when I got to my car that I wasn't coming back.

But I'm sorry that they let you go with no warning. I can understand the shock and it can feel like you're "not valued". Trust me, you'll do a lot better than Target in the future.

Probably in response to what happened last year at my (& other) store(s) when they told seasonals that they weren't being kept on.
Last year they told several seasonals when their last day would be (they had like 2-3 shifts left). None of them finished out their shifts: one left at day's end & never returned, one left during his break & never returned.

Yep that is how a bunch of ours reacted. Which is fine with me they were useless to begin with. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

In past years we have had some good kids and not enough spots and it sucked for the good ones, this year? Not so much..

Last year nearly every single TM did this. The two who didn't were both high schoolers. I was proud of both of them and let them know how much class they showed.

We even had a cashier we didn't have room for get transferred down to another store. The drive wouldn't have been any longer for her. But she threw a fit and refused it and NCNSed for the rest of her shifts with us. Go figure.

I don't know if a lot of stores are the same, but mine seems to hire most of our permanent TM's (For Sales Floor anyway) around March/April.

I remember working Seasonal for UPS, during Christmas, the next year (6 months into my Target Life, They called me, asking me to come back, it felt good to know I was remembered a year later, even if I was only there temporarily. I don't understand how some people can find it so easy to burn their bridges.

All the seasonal tms at my store had to sign a paper at the job offer stating they understood it was potentially temporary and that they could be let go at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back