Archived Gum Chewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackhawks54

I know, stupid question, but it's something I'm curious about. Don't remember seeing a thread about this either:

Is it okay to chew gum at work? I used to do it a lot but not as much. I only do it to calm my nerves or freshen up my lunch breath. I am mostly quiet about it. I don't really see a lot of other TM's doing it, but I know it's not polite. Although the ETL's don't seem to care that I do it.

I don't think so. But I've never seen a single manager ever say anything about it before. No one cares in my store.

Not a big deal at my store either. We have tms who do it and smack or pop their gum and I think that's quite inappropriate.

However having a blanket policy is tricky.

Our etl hr keeps a bucket of mints in her office. If you want to freshen your breathe I think that's the way to go.

Gum these days sucks anyway. I hate popping a piece in my mouth and then 30 minutes later, desperately needing it out of my mouth, but I'm on a lane and don't want to take it out in front of guests. Torture. My vote goes for mints too.

Sounds good. Yeah, there's only one particular gum I chew now. I usually don't chew it when I cashier, but I'm hardly ever there unless I go up for backup. I'll do it in the fitting room but try to hide it from guests. I'm almost out of gum now. So mints it is. They may be better for the teeth too.

I've been told a couple of times by one of the ETLs back when I was new, but they know I still chew the gum anyway and don't say anything anymore. I'm not obnoxious about it, though.

not allowed. One of our minors continued after several warnings. Stl told him to swallow it in his best "dad voice"

Was never a problem again.

I'll chew a piece right after I've eaten to get rid of crud stuck in my teeth & to kill the 'lunch breath' but I'll spit it out within 10 minutes because I don't like to do it in front of guests.

I feel like if you're a cashier it wouldn't be very logical because you're talking the entire time but if you're another position, and as long as you don't smack it or chew obnoxiously I don't see the problem

If you want to chew gum, then chew it.

Personally, I don't like how stupid it looks.

It's like you're eating, but without the food.

giphy.gif

My TL popped a piece during a huddle and I got one from him

At the end of the huddle the E/TLs noticed he had gum and all swarmed him for a piece. So I think gum is ok in my store. Probably.

My TL popped a piece during a huddle and I got one from him

At the end of the huddle the E/TLs noticed he had gum and all swarmed him for a piece. So I think gum is ok in my store. Probably.
I only give gum to co-workers when we're alone, and if I like them. Gum at my store is allowed aswell, I've chewed it during huddle and nobody said shit, I don't think anybody even noticed let alone cared.

I chew gum and although in some stores some ETLs are against it, in my experience a lot more people need to chew gum or mints. TMs talking to me with bad breath irritates my soul. Now if I was a guest that'll disgust me.

I do hate seeing people obnoxiously chewing gum or popping it. In my store it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Most ETLs I know would say it's not brand and not professional.

But in reality, if you're not obnoxious or gross/loud (smacking gum, blowing bubbles, etc) about it, you could probably get away with it.

I do it, I dont blow bubbles or chew with an open mouth. If I'm chewing gum, I probably didnt brush my teeth before work. An icebreaker mint or any kind of mint is a good alternative if your store doesnt allow it. Just mever chew more than one piece at once, then it's kind of obnoxious.

I have a TL that always has gum with her. My store doesn't care AFAIK. I prefer mints or Tic Tacs personally.

I find that most people aren't as delicate about chewing gum as they think they are.

I chew gum anytime I’m not eating a meal. I keep a pack in my pocket and always have a pack available. It’s better than smoking for me, which I used to do. I chew very discreetly, though.

I pop one in the morning and one after eating lunch. Nobody has problems with it at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back