MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

All denim is to be hung at the very edge of the waist band....our STL calls it "pringle" hang as the fabric will fall forward looking like a pringle chip. This has been out for at least a year and should be part of the sort process in backroom before it comes to the floor.

New to target. Only had a few shifts but haven’t been trained at all on the floor. Only got trained as a cashier and then just thrown on the floor. I’ve been left alone both shifts I’ve had on the floor and I’m completely lost. Wondering if anyone has specific tips that could help? I’ve been in RTW both times and it’s been just me trying to do reshop, cleaning up the floor, and watching the fitting rooms. Feel bad for the person after me because since I don’t know where anything goes the amount of reshop left at the end of shift is terrible.

RTW is a bit of a monster which I’m sure you’ve figured out. My advice is to learn the brand blocking and you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the VMG (if it’s set correctly) and that will help in terms of zoning/pushing new product. Our RTW TM spends most of their day running reshop and zoning since it’s one of the most profitable departments. PM me if you have any specific questions.

All denim is to be hung at the very edge of the waist band....our STL calls it "pringle" hang as the fabric will fall forward looking like a pringle chip. This has been out for at least a year and should be part of the sort process in backroom before it comes to the floor.

Is it just denim? They told us it was all bottoms across softlines. The lack of clear communication in this company is comical.

We just started implementing it this week and it looks terrible. The old hanging standard was even worse and took an ungodly amount of time to do.

I think I’m burnt out on softlines, teebs.

Is it just denim? They told us it was all bottoms across softlines. The lack of clear communication in this company is comical.

We just started implementing it this week and it looks terrible. The old hanging standard was even worse and took an ungodly amount of time to do.

It should be all items on pant hangers with the exception of swim. It looks pretty bad, I agree.

We're doing it with kids too. I hate it, it looks so ugly. I'm told that high end clothing retailers do this, and that's why we're now doing it.

Have been doing it for 2 years. It is all hanging but swim. It is in part about inclusivity--all sizes get hung the same way, and all appear the same from the front.

One of the stupidest ideas to come out of corporate. Maybe if the dept was big enough or they sent LESS product it would work but there are 11 different sizes in a set (even more if you include lengths of short, regular, and tall). Corporate mandate allows for 2 each but there's no way in hell you will fit 2 each (minimum 22 pairs of pants) hanging in that fashion. And once you hang your 11(+) different sizes at the very edge of the waist band you'll be lucky if you get a second set on the same fixture. They get tangled, they look a mess, and honestly it serves no real purpose not to mention it's practically impossible to maintain without the hours and people who care enough to keep it going. The stockroom is already full to exploding of the stuff we can't represent on the floor because they send too damn much, this hanging process just makes it worse.

We're doing it with kids too. I hate it, it looks so ugly. I'm told that high end clothing retailers do this, and that's why we're now doing it.

I hate it too. High end clothing retailers know better than to send a million of the exact same size to one store. High end clothing retailers know how to stock their stores without killing them with overstock. Problem with Target is they buy too much and send too much to make this manner of hanging work. If we can't fit it on the floor and we can't fit it in the stockroom.... where does it go?

RTW is a bit of a monster which I’m sure you’ve figured out. My advice is to learn the brand blocking and you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the VMG (if it’s set correctly) and that will help in terms of zoning/pushing new product. Our RTW TM spends most of their day running reshop and zoning since it’s one of the most profitable departments. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Here is the link to the VMG online:

http://targetstore.actonservice.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/15648/p/p-0050/t/page/fm/0

If you have an apple phone there is an app for the VMG. Unfortunately they didn't make one for android so the link above will give you the landing page. I find the more familiar I am with a department the faster I am at working it. I had a coworker say "dang you're fast!" yesterday when I was pushing in my area. When you zone it and push truck and take care of the department you do get faster over time. Do know that when you are brand new, no one should expect you to be as fast as your co-workers who have been there for awhile. It does take time to learn. Since most days there isn't time to make an overall perfect zone, I tend to rotate my focus. I work in men's and today I decided it was past time to get the chino wall and tables sorted and aligned. Then I basically touched up noticeable areas. Tomorrow I want to fix the Haggar/Dickies folded. If you change your focus every shift and touch up the rest then over time you should see the zone improve. Granted this depends on how many hours you are actually given and if your cohorts actually care to work with you instead of against you or not at all.

That edging thing launched in my district last year and it’s not ideal but you get used to it. Just sucks that it limits what will fit out. The way we’ve always done it is structured pants only. Denim, chinos, etc. It’s not meant for loose pants, sweats, workwear. During the initial rollout they also discouraged us from doing it in Plus since it was so ridiculous looking but never heard of that changed or anything.

Seriously WTF it was mentioned during a DTL walk but not really explained at all so as an inbound sl they think we have time to rehang all this🤔

Former VML said to me: High end retailers have BETTER hangers and so it is easier maintained. Target buys these cheap hangers that if you look at them crosswise the pants fall on the floor. That's why it's never going to look the way it does in a high end retailer even if you had less product.

Didn't think about that but she's right. Men's denim falls off the hangers if they get so much as breathed on it seems. I mean every time I zone men's hanging I have to pick up denim and rehang it. It's ridiculous.

My theory on "edging," by Miss Anne Elk*:
  • It looks crazy.
  • It takes up way too much space.
  • It's nigh on impossible to put any pants in or get any pants out of a set of "edged" pants.
  • It makes plus sizes look even larger (and scarier).
  • If corporate wanted these things hung that way they'd send them hung that way.
  • Our sorter doesn't have time to rehang all that.
  • Really it does look crazy.
  • One good thing about "edged" hanging - they automatically finger-space themselves.
* And a tip 'o the cap to Monty Python

My theory on "edging," by Miss Anne Elk*:
  • It looks crazy.
  • It takes up way too much space.
  • It's nigh on impossible to put any pants in or get any pants out of a set of "edged" pants.
  • It makes plus sizes look even larger (and scarier).
  • If corporate wanted these things hung that way they'd send them hung that way.
  • Our sorter doesn't have time to rehang all that.
  • Really it does look crazy.
  • One good thing about "edged" hanging - they automatically finger-space themselves.
* And a tip 'o the cap to Monty Python
No, they don't fingerspace themselves. They squish just as well as everything else when there's more styles than rack space.

Is there a part number for the old size tab removal tool? We had a huge box of them that was tossed during our remodel and now have one left. I’d like to get more or figure out a way around it since nobody seems to give a shit except me that the size on the hanger actually matches the garment.

Not sure about the part number but I get you. I feel the same way and the one we have remaining people keep hiding. It's like, leave the darn thing on the shelf next to the tabs and stop moving it! -_- Has anyone received a tool for removing the tabs on the new hangers? A part number for that would be good as well.

Back