MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Anyone else having issues with the RTW VMG? I keep getting either not having the product it calls for and/or having merchandise that is not on the VMG. Also the fixtures change from the floor map to the product placement, e.g., racks become convertibles. But yet we are supposed to follow it to a T?

We did this as well, but still do not have enough room for all the backstock.

Have you tried doubling it up, as in two rows on one side of an aisle? I'm running out of room as well and will be doing this soon. We end up taking space that was going to be used for overflow of toys, but the toy team is just going to have to be aggressive with getting product out.

Anyone else having issues with the RTW VMG? I keep getting either not having the product it calls for and/or having merchandise that is not on the VMG. Also the fixtures change from the floor map to the product placement, e.g., racks become convertibles. But yet we are supposed to follow it to a T?
We stopped trying to following that about a year ago, our TMs that are stuck in their ways are set on following it, but it's not even possible anymore for the reasons you mentioned.

Thing is our STL and Regional VM person are both adamant about us following the VMG. We have to document any changes we make and why. It’s so annoying. “Don’t have merchandise pictured, flexed in what was sent.” “Fixture changed from rack to convertible.” While I like the rack alignment, the rest is garbage.

Thing is our STL and Regional VM person are both adamant about us following the VMG. We have to document any changes we make and why. It’s so annoying. “Don’t have merchandise pictured, flexed in what was sent.” “Fixture changed from rack to convertible.” While I like the rack alignment, the rest is garbage.

Your post is soooooo accurate !!!!! Documenting the changes (flexed-in grey skinny pants rather than black slim pants :mad:) we make to the VMG is an enormous waste of time !!! Because, guess what?.... Tomorrow when we receive another truck, I might get something better (like black skinny pants, close; but still not "slim") to put on the hurdle ! So, do I need to notate an "amendment" to the documentation I made yesterday? Or.... what if, on the 3rd truck of the week, I actually receive the EXACT oh-so-perfect black slim pants ??!! Do I need to make yet another edit to the documentation? Who the F*** has time for this?????

You have mannequins? We don’t besides swim. So I have to wing it when it comes to the hurdles, mannequin looks, etc. And don’t get me started on A New Day. The VMG I have for that is almost useless. Second one in a row like that, which makes me scratch my head. It’s the latest brand, so you’d think it would be flawless, but no. That one makes me want to pull my hair out.

You have mannequins? We don’t besides swim. So I have to wing it when it comes to the hurdles, mannequin looks, etc. And don’t get me started on A New Day. The VMG I have for that is almost useless. Second one in a row like that, which makes me scratch my head. It’s the latest brand, so you’d think it would be flawless, but no. That one makes me want to pull my hair out.

Yes, we have mannequins; half the time we don't have the pieces they require for them on the VMG......... ESPECIALLY A New Day ! To your point.... It's our latest Brand.... it should be perfect !!
I've spent a lot of years in the Visual Merchandising world; and I'll be honest...... some of the fashion choices that they select for our mannequins are rather uninspiring and boring OR they "over-style" them, claiming to be Trendy. I have always been encouraged to find the most "fashion forward" pieces in the collection; pair them w/ "core" pieces in the line; style w/ 3 pieces, and each mannequin wears only 1 accessory.

I feel so validated now. My ETL wants me to write a bullet point Word doc about the RTW VMG and its many flaws. My SL TL wants me to walk the VMG with the STL and Regional VML. I can’t wait.

This process is frustrating in that, I want to do a phenomenal job. I want my department to be perfect, on point. I can’t achieve that given subpar tools and direction. And believe me, I will be sharing that.

I feel so validated now. My ETL wants me to write a bullet point Word doc about the RTW VMG and its many flaws. My SL TL wants me to walk the VMG with the STL and Regional VML. I can’t wait.

This process is frustrating in that, I want to do a phenomenal job. I want my department to be perfect, on point. I can’t achieve that given subpar tools and direction. And believe me, I will be sharing that.

Please let us know the outcome of your walk with the regional VML and your STL. I think they should honestly save themselves money by cutting the team that writes the VMG and simply paying their merchandiser's what a good merchandiser is worth and actually letting them do the job themselves.

I feel so validated now. My ETL wants me to write a bullet point Word doc about the RTW VMG and its many flaws. My SL TL wants me to walk the VMG with the STL and Regional VML.

Wait, wait. A TM walks with the STL and Regional VML in your store?? That would never, ever happen in my store/district. I would not be willing to do that if asked as I think that's the VML/TL's jobs, but I can't see management even being interested in discussing that stuff with the likes of me.

Wait, wait. A TM walks with the STL and Regional VML in your store?? That would never, ever happen in my store/district. I would not be willing to do that if asked as I think that's the VML/TL's jobs, but I can't see management even being interested in discussing that stuff with the likes of me.

Not yet. But my TL told me she wants me to do the walk with them and give my feedback. Now what they ultimately do with it is not up to me, but I will be frank if/when given the opportunity.

I will be frank if/when given the opportunity.

When we have visits, whoever is manning the FR is supposed to be the "spokesperson" and tell the visitors all about what we're doing in style. I begged not to be put in this position the past few times because I just know I will be frank and say exactly what I feel. And I know that will get me into trouble so I prefer to stay away from the visitors. In fact I kinda hid in the back last time a visitor came lol.

When we have visits, whoever is manning the FR is supposed to be the "spokesperson" and tell the visitors all about what we're doing in style. I begged not to be put in this position the past few times because I just know I will be frank and say exactly what I feel. And I know that will get me into trouble so I prefer to stay away from the visitors. In fact I kinda hid in the back last time a visitor came lol.

I hear you. I have been the SL spokesperson on previous visits bc I know the lingo and what they are looking for. However, my TL is pretty fed up with the VMG situation as is. The ETL is as well. I’m not going to be hostile. I know how to play the game, but I’m not going to sugarcoat what’s not working.

I hear you. I have been the SL spokesperson on previous visits bc I know the lingo and what they are looking for. However, my TL is pretty fed up with the VMG situation as is. The ETL is as well. I’m not going to be hostile. I know how to play the game, but I’m not going to sugarcoat what’s not working.

That's the way to do it. Personally I'm tired of getting POGs the VMG doesn't even recognize. In girls there are supposedly 2 accessory convertibles but they are not located on the map and supposedly license is supposed to have an accessory convertible as well. I think some of us who've been through the remodel are getting mixed POGs however (some from 2.0 and some from Chain) because they don't seem to have it figured out.

Also weird issues where the VMG tells you to hang folded shirts and fold hanging shirts.... (boys/girls license)... just extra work and more confusion when the folded comes off the truck hanging and vice versa.

Glad to hear that my store isn't the only store that has no more room for backstock. We were sitting at 7 z racks worth of back stock while all the hanging areas are completely full. Our backstock aisles are full to the max.

Is there an easier way to tell a licensed t-shirt is men's or women's? I know we can use Zebra but it takes more time while we do reshop... especially when people who hang them are new or not paying attention... And zoning WhoWhatWhere is hardest for me in RTW because most of them come with similar material and all black...Anyone has any suggestion??

Is there an easier way to tell a licensed t-shirt is men's or women's? I know we can use Zebra but it takes more time while we do reshop... especially when people who hang them are new or not paying attention... And zoning WhoWhatWhere is hardest for me in RTW because most of them come with similar material and all black...Anyone has any suggestion??

The quickest way, if you're not making time to scan, is to look at the department number of the DPCI..... women's screen tees are 006, and men's begin w/ 04. I would still take time to scan them so you know exactly what table they go on; we have 5 tables of men's screen tees. If the tee is not located; chances are good it should be on a hanger.
A HUGE part of zoning is the detail...... As for WhoWhatWear? There is no shortcut; you just need to become familiar w/ your product to find exactly where the merchandise goes. If one person on the Team starts "plopping" the reshop anywhere (God forbid it's black pants) then no one can find anything and then the entire Team starts "plopping".
Excellent zoning is essential to your Guest service.

The quickest way, if you're not making time to scan, is to look at the department number of the DPCI..... women's screen tees are 006, and men's begin w/ 04. I would still take time to scan them so you know exactly what table they go on; we have 5 tables of men's screen tees. If the tee is not located; chances are good it should be on a hanger.
A HUGE part of zoning is the detail...... As for WhoWhatWear? There is no shortcut; you just need to become familiar w/ your product to find exactly where the merchandise goes. If one person on the Team starts "plopping" the reshop anywhere (God forbid it's black pants) then no one can find anything and then the entire Team starts "plopping".
Excellent zoning is essential to your Guest service.

Thank you so much for the tips!!! You're absolutely right on the "plopping" one... More than one person in my team do the popping all the time, and that makes everyone suffers especially for the team member who do order pickup and shipping in the holiday season now...As well as the new team members doing reshop...I can totally understand why they takes longer to do reshop because there's no way they can find the products already on clearance at full price area, because whoever hang it mix it with the full price on rack... I found a whole pile of infant screen tees on Women's screen tees table just a few days ago. Just look at how small the XL is you can literally tell no one over age 6 can fit in these, and you know that's not a guest did it because the whole pile of same screen tees from XS-XXL were all folded there. God knows why they put it there ....

Last edited:
Another long, stressful day :( Last year I was pretty much absent from SL for all of fourth quarter and worked SFS instead. They had plenty of SL tms to cover the load. This year we have...nobody. Yesterday it was a flow tm helping out for a little while with me (truck), my friend (price change), and our one TL (fitting room) until 12:30. That is absolutely ridiculous for a high volume store. We were running around everywhere trying to help guests, answer calls from the front end, answer the phone...omg. We had a group of cashiers being scheduled in SL to help out but now they are needed back at the front end. Another person quit this week. How can we survive like this?! Rant over.

Another long, stressful day :( Last year I was pretty much absent from SL for all of fourth quarter and worked SFS instead. They had plenty of SL tms to cover the load. This year we have...nobody. Yesterday it was a flow tm helping out for a little while with me (truck), my friend (price change), and our one TL (fitting room) until 12:30. That is absolutely ridiculous for a high volume store. We were running around everywhere trying to help guests, answer calls from the front end, answer the phone...omg. We had a group of cashiers being scheduled in SL to help out but now they are needed back at the front end. Another person quit this week. How can we survive like this?! Rant over.

@Doglover, I really, really hope someone comes to the rescue soon! I try to imagine what my store would feel like (and look like) if we only had 2-3 TMs all day in A&A! It's horribly unrealistic in terms of productivity; in terms of Guest Service; and in terms of morale. Our A&A department carries 25% (or more) of the ENTIRE store's volume. We are always neck&neck w/ Grocery. I'm sure your A&A department owns a huge percentage of the business as well. The staffing in your department should reflect an equal percentage in order to be successful. Can you imagine if you were fully staffed at all times? Can you imagine what an increase in business your store would see if your department was fully staffed?
Hang in there..... I truly hope it gets better soon. :) Sprinkles.

Was going to set the 5 basics shippers POGs (due this week) today in softlines, but was told they are not listed in the "Incremental Space Guide" and we are not to set them. I guess at some time we just unbox them, stock the home, and backstock the rest. So, in other words, HQ ordered these from the vendor to just turn around and tell us not to set them. Maybe they will let us sweep them back to RDC. How screwed up is that?

This.

Was going to set the 5 basics shippers POGs (due this week) today in softlines, but was told they are not listed in the "Incremental Space Guide" and we are not to set them. I guess at some time we just unbox them, stock the home, and backstock the rest. So, in other words, HQ ordered these from the vendor to just turn around and tell us not to set them. Maybe they will let us sweep them back to RDC. How screwed up is that?

Ours actually did get set and they are coming to visit this week to check on everything. What used to be called "Reindeer Run" back in the day. It was a pain in the ass to set them, however. It was another case where the VMG team did the pictures and the Planogram team did the labeling WITHOUT talking to each other. SO you had to set to picture and then hand label separately because NOTHING matched. It was insanely stupid and took hours out of more than one day to complete. ><

I know what you're going through. We have a hard time keeping people because they feel the work is too hard and they're not patient enough to realize that if they stick around as we get more people it won't be so hard. Granted it is taking quite awhile to get people. We are hiring more minors this year than we've ever hired before because they seem to be the only ones really applying for this type of job. *hugs* ~ In the trenches with you!

I know what you're going through. We have a hard time keeping people because they feel the work is too hard and they're not patient enough to realize that if they stick around as we get more people it won't be so hard. Granted it is taking quite awhile to get people. We are hiring more minors this year than we've ever hired before because they seem to be the only ones really applying for this type of job. *hugs* ~ In the trenches with you!

Thanks for the support @RightArm . One good thing that is coming out of all of this is finally getting some notice and respect from leadership. I'm not looking for "employee of the year" or anything like that, but just to have someone actually say something about how hard I've been working means a lot to me. We've finally hired a couple adult tms so hopefully they work out, but we'll have to see.

Back