• Thread starter Umar
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Umar

Am I the only Target store that doesn't use the "help" button on the cash registers? Find it annoying that we don't because when I have a super long line and have to run to get bags, I always return to grumpy customers.

My store mostly ignores it. Sometimes a cashier will push the backup button, but usually if a cashier needs something they'll just call my cordless phone or wave me down and ask for bags/change/counterfeit pen/whatever.

The Problem with the help button is it takes several minutes to send the alert to the MyDevice and then only if the alerts are working. As a GSA I tell my Cashiers to use there blinking light to get my attention as I will see that a lot quicker

Yep, the help button doesn't send timely alerts, and the chances of hearing the alerts if it's busy is slim, so I doubt many GSAs bother with logging in for alerts. Better to just flip your light (or use the phone if your store does that).

nine times out of ten the help button freezes our registers for a solid minute anyway. a lot of people hit it by accident, get stuck on a white screen for ages, and call me over to see what they did. I'd much rather just see a blinkie than have to worry with the help screen, as useful as it should in theory be.

Back in the LPDA days, a now-former GSTL of mine encouraged us to use the HELP button instead of the flasher. Something about it being "more brand" or some stupid crap like that. Whenever I felt the need to piss her off, I would use the HELP button to request a pen.

Now it's useless because the alerts are delayed. Plus, more often than not, the GSTL/GSA doesn't even have a MyDevice, so we have no choice but to use the flasher (or walkie if you're not a regular cashier).

Whenever I felt the need to piss her off, I would use the HELP button to request a pen.

I remember doing this a lot. I messed up one day and requested a pen and a salesfloor TL came running to the electronics boat with a pen, she was covering the GSTL's break.
I would also request for my trash to be emptied out as a joke.

I would also request for my trash to be emptied out as a joke.

I totally should've done that. But for reals. Our checklane garbages were always overfull, but they wouldn't get emptied until the overnight cleaning crew came in.

Everyone at my store tells me to use it. It seems to send out a quick alert to the walkie and the GSA/GSTL also tends to reply in a timely manner.

I like calling it the panic button

I like calling it the panic button
I am of the opinion that the registers should have some sort of button that's easy to press discretely that alerts the GSTL that help is needed urgently at that register in case there is a combative guest or other similar situation. Over the walkie, none of the delayed alert crap. This could easily be implemented with the Indyme system and the one blank blue button by additional assistance.

I am of the opinion that the registers should have some sort of button that's easy to press discretely that alerts the GSTL that help is needed urgently at that register in case there is a combative guest or other similar situation. Over the walkie, none of the delayed alert crap. This could easily be implemented with the Indyme system and the one blank blue button by additional assistance.
I am honestly so with this idea. There are times I get insanely afraid of the guests who try to pull a scam by paying with a large bill for a small item or two then when I get their change they insist they paid with the wrong bill and try and get me to open the register.

I am of the opinion that the registers should have some sort of button that's easy to press discretely that alerts the GSTL that help is needed urgently at that register in case there is a combative guest or other similar situation.

That was the idea behind the HELP button and the LPDA alerts. Instead of using the flasher and pissing off the guests who are waiting in line, you could discreetly alert the GSTL/GSA that you need help. If they would just get the alerts working properly and ensure the GSTL/GSA always has a MyDevice, there wouldn't be a problem.

Over the walkie, none of the delayed alert crap. This could easily be implemented with the Indyme system and the one blank blue button by additional assistance.

For what it's worth, change requests used to send out a message over the walkie. But what if the GSTL/GSA is on another channel and doesn't hear it?

the Help button worked so much better when we had LPDA's. I rarely had problems getting alerts, and I actually preferred getting alerts that way vs. a blinking light, because if I was busy Id likely to not see the light flashing in a timely manner. The MyDevices are useless for receiving alerts. That's the main reason I loathed the Mydevices (besides them just not working half the time).

At my new job, the devices are much like the LPDAs, and there's no mistaking when you get alerts. That thing screams at you, and it will even get alerts when you are logged off and just tell you to log back in. So glad I never have to touch another MyDevice.

I liked the help button, because I need help with a bad guy at electronics without saying anything. My gstl/GSA knew that something is up when I hit the button. Now, I go to gs, instead.

Back when me was seasonal, I pushed it if I needed a pen, or if a sketchy coupon guest came was in my lane. However the GSA at the time just told me later on to use my blinkie.

Also yes it freezes the register.

My store mostly ignores it. Sometimes a cashier will push the backup button, but usually if a cashier needs something they'll just call my cordless phone or wave me down and ask for bags/change/counterfeit pen/whatever.
1st. I wish our phones still worked it's so much more discreet when you need assistance.
2. We aren't allowed to use counterfeit pens...which is crap because it's so busy our cashiers let way to many "clearly" fake bills

i wish there were buttons on the register that we could use to secretly call over the gsa because of a sketchy guest, the light is too obvious and when the gsa asks what you need help with what would you say? once there was a guy buying like 10 or more $50, $100 & $400 visa gift cards and a couple birthday cards for kids (lol who gives a 5 year old $400 visa gift cards) and when he got to me he was kinda complaing that we didn't have more $400 ones so i turned on my light and he asked why so i made up an excuse that i was gonna ask if we had more $400 ones and he believed it. i asked the gsa if we had more and she caught on and the ap guy came up, he told him we didn't have any more and asked if he had id on him for his credit card and turns out he didn't want to buy them anymore hmm. turns out his buddy was in a different line doing the same thing and didn't get away with it either. the other cashier and i got free drinks for stopping it. :p

no counterfeit pens? seriously? that's crazy. i've never cone accross any fake bills but i've heard that it has happened. once someone let 2 clearly fake $100 bills go through and our supervisor threw a fit and assigned us registers the next day (which worked for maybe 1 whole hour). that guy came back the next day and tried to use more. monopoly money looked more real than that did, i don't see how anyone could let it slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back