Archived Help with cashiering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm a somewhat new team member (been working for about a month) and I'm not a fan of cashiering. I've been cross-trained in lots of areas and my favorite is working sales floor or backroom but I do backup cashiering at times. So yesterday, I came up as a backup cashier and rang up a guy who bought a razor. I didn't realize it at the time but the razor was in the clear plastic anti-theft packages and I didn't undo it. He left without problem but I felt absolutely embarrassed and horrible about it but I haven't seen him back. Basically, now I'm paranoid about any anti-theft mechanisms and I want to know the basics. For example, if an item has the electronic/aluminum sticker, is it alright to just rub it a lot on the counter or would I have to remove the sticker?

And for returns, how are the basic ways I can process a return without a receipt?

Some stores have magnet keys on the wall behind each of the lanes you can use to undo clam-shells and spiderwraps. Haven't seen product with anything other than those two before though.

As for returns, just send the guest to Guest Service. If it's a simple thing though (like you forgot a coupon, double scanned an item, etc) you can scan the receipt and hit K6 for 'Fix a Mistake' and select what you're fixing. Then enter the VCD (number near the bottom of the receipt) and the POS will walk you through fixing the mistake

Our guest service and checkout is one thing so we're supposed to handle both jobs at the register. And the sticker I'm speaking about looks something like this: http://cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/rfid-antenna2.jpg but its a bulls-eye with the Target logo.

Also, thank you for bringing up the VCD! Today, a man came in and wanted an adjustment because another Target forgot to count his coupons and I couldn't figure out how to fix it because I didn't know what the VCD was so I called over a TL who 'returned' the item and resold it with the coupons.

Some stores have magnet keys on the wall behind each of the lanes you can use to undo clam-shells and spiderwraps. Haven't seen product with anything other than those two before though.

Some higher risk stores have also started putting yellow magnetic security devices on disposable razors. If the OP's store has one of these, they should ask their GSA/GSTL to show them how to remove them. My store doesn't have 'em and they look like a real pain.

The only security devices on razors are spiderwraps and plastic cases (clamshells?). The stickers I'm taking about are only on electronics/electronics-related things (to my knowledge).

Clamshells and spiderwrap are pretty easy once you get the hang of 'em, ask your GSTL/GSA or an Electronics team member to show you how it's done. Both of those and the new yellow razor chip-clips are done with the mag key that's at the check lanes and on Electronics keychains. I've never seen the stickers, definitely ask about those.

Alright, thanks! I'm just super nervous now because I missed one clamshell. And I'll be sure to ask about the stickers.

But do you also know the ways to process a return/exchange without a receipt?

Alright, thanks! I'm just super nervous now because I missed one clamshell. And I'll be sure to ask about the stickers.

But do you also know the ways to process a return/exchange without a receipt?

The guest needs to have a valid driver's license or state ID. If your registers have the new chip-and-PIN POS version, have the guest slide their card through the mag stripe reader on the PIN pad. If your state IDs don't have mag stripes, ask the guest for their ID and scan the barcode on back with your hand scanner. Otherwise if your store's still on the old POS version, slide the guest's ID through your keyboard's card reader. If the ID needs to be entered manually, on the register press K1 Enter ID.

No receipt returns will only allow giftcard refunds (or cash if the total refund is under $5), and they will refund the lowest price the item has been.

That's how one of my TMs did it today! If they don't have an ID does that mean they can't return items?

That's how one of my TMs did it today! If they don't have an ID does that mean they can't return items?
Right.
No ID, no return.
$ amt is tied to the ID. There's a dollar threshold that, when reached, defaults to an exchange or requires an override.

Those RFID EAS tags are demagnetized at the checkout. He flatbed scanner has this built in. At registers without a flatbed, there is a black may of sorts that demagnetizes these tags. After they've been on the demagnetizing surface they won't set off any alarms.

After working so many areas, I know prefer to cashier. It's so less stressful. You focus on one guest at a time rather than many different things and having to be finished at a set time. While you can't move around, once you learn it all, it's really not that bad.

Right.
No ID, no return.

They've started encouraging us to type in a fake number for guests who forget their ID, as long as the item(s) they're returning amount to under $20 and the person doesn't "look shady." Apparently, the register will accept almost any number for the driver's license, as long as it begins with a letter. That's when I knew we were not only burning the policy books, we were actively adding more and more lighter fluid even when the sane people told us to stop because the fire was already big enough.

When my GSTL told me this was acceptable, I asked her why we don't just open the drawer and hand them the $20 cash and be done with it. I was then lectured on the "VIBE" and how being a wise guy won't get me promoted to TL. That's when I stopped trying to become a TL.

Last edited:
Right.
No ID, no return.
$ amt is tied to the ID. There's a dollar threshold that, when reached, defaults to an exchange or requires an override.

And for an ID does it have to be the usual (State issued or gov't issued?)

State ID/license or military ID.
Don't think they allow passports any more.

I've had guest's use their Mexico ID before. I thought it was odd that those worked when you typed in the card numbers. But if the machine just accepts random numbers, then it's no wonder.

I've had guest's use their Mexico ID before. I thought it was odd that those worked when you typed in the card numbers. But if the machine just accepts random numbers, then it's no wonder.

We can accept Canadian provincial IDs, so if you're in a border state, it would make sense.

Passports can be used.

Where is the function that lets you key in a passport?

We can accept Canadian provincial IDs, so if you're in a border state, it would make sense.

Yeah It just surprised me because the system doesn't give a clear option for it. It's only, "CA State ID, Passports, Military ID." I think I had to type in the numbers under the passport option now that I think of it. And the guest had to tell me to do this, he had the same issue before. It was funny.

Yeah It just surprised me because the system doesn't give a clear option for it. It's only, "CA State ID, Passports, Military ID." I think I had to type in the numbers under the passport option now that I think of it. And the guest had to tell me to do this, he had the same issue before. It was funny.

It doesn't give you the option to key IDs from other states? On our POS, the Canadian provinces are listed with the other states.

It doesn't give you the option to key IDs from other states? On our POS, the Canadian provinces are listed with the other states.

States yes. But not Mexico or Canada. Unless it's listed and I just didn't notice...

States yes. But not Mexico or Canada. Unless it's listed and I just didn't notice...

For us, the Canadian provinces are mixed in with the other states, and everything is alphabetical (i.e. ...Ohio, Ontario, Oklahoma, ...). If Mexican IDs are provincial, scroll through and look for the provinces.

Ours not only had other states & Canadian provinces, it also listed U.S./other territories - ie: Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa but no Mexican states even tho we're a border state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back