Archived He's just doing his job...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm in soft lines. We have one dude, and then one of our TL's is also a guy. The rest of us are girls.

The other day, one of my co workers asked me if our male TL ever gave me this creepy smile, and she demonstrated. He has smiled at me before, but I didn't think it looked creepy in any way. He just seemed like he was trying to be friendly. She said that the other girls in the department have felt uncomfortable around him also.

Then the other night, a different girl asked me if our TL checks on me "a lot". I didn't really know what to say. He stops by me a few times during my shift, and will check up on me through walkie a couple times, but isn't that his job??? There's a girl manager (she is higher up than our TL) and she checked up on me a lot also and smiled at me too, but she wasn't creepy, just doing her job!

I don't know. I feel like these girls feel creeped out by our TL, but I don't get that creeper vibe from him. To me, he's just being friendly and doing what he's supposed to do. But they don't feel that way. I feel like I'm the only one of us girls who doesn't share that feeling and they might think I'm weird. Or they might think I like him or something, and I don't (romantically, but he's likeable as a TL). I can't really compare him to the female TL because she's barely ever there when I'm there and I've only interacted with her a couple of times.

I don't really know what to say to my female co workers about him :confused: any suggestions?

Last edited:
He's probably just trying to be friendly and the others have inflated egos and think that he's undressing them with his eyes or something.

That's honestly what I was thinking! But when asked, and I didn't say, "yeah he checks up on me all the time he's soooo creepy," my co worker looked at me funny... Like she thought I was weird for not jumping on the band wagon. I don't want to be the odd one out, but he really isn't as bad as they're making him seem, unless he's treating them differently than he is me.

That's honestly what I was thinking! But when asked, and I didn't say, "yeah he checks up on me all the time he's soooo creepy," my co worker looked at me funny... Like she thought I was weird for not jumping on the band wagon. I don't want to be the odd one out, but he really isn't as bad as they're making him seem, unless he's treating them differently than he is me.
Maybe she's been a problem and he's checking to make sure she's on task and on pace.

It just sounds like they're being catty idiots. Their one and only criticism is that he has a creepy smile? Okay, he can't help how his fucking face looks. Let me guess, he's unattractive? Hence, he must be "creepy" by their stupid girl logic. Unless he actually does something weird, like sniff the women's underwear, or hit on any of the TMs, or something like that, then these girls are totally full of shit.

I will say though, something about working in softlines seems to attract unwanted attention at times. I don't know what it is. The most times I've ever been hit on at work, were the few months I worked in softlines. So, maybe they have their guard up...or...they simply have inflated egos.

If he's not bothering you, and he never oversteps any boundaries, then continue on with your business and do NOT feed into the gossip. Be better than that.

It just sounds like they're being catty idiots. Their one and only criticism is that he has a creepy smile? Okay, he can't help how his fucking face looks. Let me guess, he's unattractive? Hence, he must be "creepy" by their stupid girl logic. Unless he actually does something weird, like sniff the women's underwear, or hit on any of the TMs, or something like that, then these girls are totally full of shit.

I will say though, something about working in softlines seems to attract unwanted attention at times. I don't know what it is. The most times I've ever been hit on at work, were the few months I worked in softlines. So, maybe they have their guard up...or...they simply have inflated egos.

If he's not bothering you, and he never oversteps any boundaries, then continue on with your business and do NOT feed into the gossip. Be better than that.

He's actually not that bad looking, at least in my opinion. There are far worse looking guys in the store.

I have my guard up after getting hit on by customers and other TMs, but I don't feel like I need it up around this TL. As a matter of fact, he used to do the "creepy smile" (as my co workers describe it) a lot more frequently when I was brand new. Lately he seems a little more distant and less likely to smile at me (though he does still smile). Maybe it's because I'm not new anymore, or someone told him that the girls think he's creepy. He already seemed a little self conscious, but if someone told him that, that had to have hurt bad.

Anyway, I suppose if my co workers bring him up again, I'll just say "he's just doing his job", and I'll continue to cooperate with him normally.

He's actually not that bad looking, at least in my opinion. There are far worse looking guys in the store.

I have my guard up after getting hit on by customers and other TMs, but I don't feel like I need it up around this TL. As a matter of fact, he used to do the "creepy smile" (as my co workers describe it) a lot more frequently when I was brand new. Lately he seems a little more distant and less likely to smile at me (though he does still smile). Maybe it's because I'm not new anymore, or someone told him that the girls think he's creepy. He already seemed a little self conscious, but if someone told him that, that had to have hurt bad.

Anyway, I suppose if my co workers bring him up again, I'll just say "he's just doing his job", and I'll continue to cooperate with him normally.

Or, just be straight with them. "Yeah, I dunno what you guys are talking about, he doesn't seem creepy to me." Simple as that.

Like others have said ...more than likely he is just doing his job and trying to be nice while doing it . Someone can be nice and or smile at someone...and that doesn't mean they are undressing them in their mind. ( I am not saying that doesn't happen but its not always the case). Some people mistake being nice for flirting. Which reflects more on their inflated ego than the person trying to be nice

We have girls who say this about our ETL-AP and one of our TPS... :rolleyes: The ETL is married.

They just sound like problems and are trying to get you on their side. Do not fall in this because they may be in the hot seat with this TL and are trying to group together to get "back" at him. Sounds like a bunch of immature individuals with nothing better to do but to recreate high school at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back