I'm Lost! Hi everybody. First day questions.

Hi everybody. Tomorrow is my official first day. I have just a few basic questions. I’ve had orientation and I read the handbook. I also read A LOT of answers on this site, so I feel pretty confident, but I just have a few questions that I haven’t found the answers to.

1.) At the orientation, we were given a Mydevice to practice on, but we weren’t shown where they are located. Is there a special location that they are located? Also, do you have to ask somebody for one or are you expected to take one without announcing? Same thing with walkies. Do you just take one or do you need permission?

2.) Same question with lockers. Am I allowed to use any open locker to put my bag and lunch in? We weren’t told how to use the lockers, so is there a trick that I should know about?

3.) Am I expected to do my W4 on my own? I have the website to do it, but I don’t want to do it if I’m supposed to wait for my HR or something.

4.) How do I find my trainer on my first day? I know their name, but I don’t know what they look like. Will they be waiting for me? Will I be training with a group of people or just one on one (for fulfillment)

5.) I understand that there is a 5 minute grace period for clocking in, but is there one for clocking out? Like if I clock out 5 minutes before or after I’m supposed to, will I get in trouble?

6.) We were told that our pay period ends on Saturday, but is there a specific time that the pay period ends? if I work on Saturday, will the whole day be on the paycheck, or just the hours before a specific time?

7.) Will I be told when to take breaks? Can I go to my car on breaks to listen to music and eat? I know that sounds very lonely, but I feel like it would be good to have some alone time and relax (I’m an introvert, so I need alone time to regain energy).

8.) Is there always food in the break room at super targets? There was when I was there for orientation, and it seemed to be pretty normal.

9.) Am I allowed to have a water bottle, or should I expect to just make a bunch of trips to the water fountain?

10.) For fulfillment, it has two different acronyms on my schedule: OPU and SFS. If any, what are the differences between these? Also, any fulfillment tips are very welcome.

I’m sorry if these are already answered or things I will learn on my first day, but I would feel a lot more calm and confident if I knew what to expect.
Thank you!

1.) myDevices are rare commodities this time of year. Each store has different places that keep myDevices and radios, so ask someone. If you are ship, those scanners may be kept separate from the ones the rest of the store uses and you will be guaranteed a myDevice and most likely a walkie.

2.) In my close to 20 years at Target, I have used 3 different types of lockers all with different locking mechanisms. Ask someone how to use the ones your store has. While most people prefer a certain locker, you can use any open one.

3.) Do it at work on the HR computer.

4.) If HR is in, ask them to set you up with where you are to meet your trainer or leader. If someone in HR isn't available, ask a TM to walkie where they want you to report. You may be training alone or with others, it is up to your store.

5.) You can clock in 5 minutes early and 5 minutes after your scheduled times with out getting in trouble.

6.) Pay periods begin and end at midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning. When I was overnight flow and worked Saturday night into Sunday morning, that was the only time my hours and pay would be split into two pay periods.

7.) If your store doesn't have a posted break schedule, ask your leader when your breaks are. You can go and sit in your car during your breaks.

8.) All stores are different so take in a lunch/snack or money with you for a couple of days until you learn when your store usually has food. Don't count on it everyday you are there.

9.) Virtually all stores prohibit open water bottles on the sales floor and backroom. We have a company come in to do health and safety inspections and an open water bottle will count against the store. Don't make repeated trips to the water fountain. That's a good way to tick off other TMs and Leaders, and won't work in your favor if you would like to stay on after the holidays.

10.) OPU = Online Pick up. Guests who order online will be coming in to pick-up their order. SFS = Ship From Store. The online guest is having their order shipped to them. I think a Fullfilment TM on here would be the best to go into detail.

In the end, show up on time and ask questions of Leaders and experienced TMs at your particular store.

Welcome to TBR, and good luck.

Last edited:
And HR will be in tomorrow! With the Holiday this week scheduling has to happen a day early so it can be edited and posted on Thursday still.

Everything else @BoxCutter said was perfect! Don’t forget to ask as many questions as you need answers. We would rather answer a hundred questions than have you working independently and incorrectly. The best trainers I know love when new hires aren’t afraid to ask questions!😁

I agree with everything Boxcutter said except for #9 - that must be an ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same) thing, because we have water bottles all over the store and backroom and no one has ever said anything. Fellow TMs even walk around slurping drinks through straws and again, nothing is said.

Ok. Thanks guys. I feel a lot better. I have a good feeling that most of these questions will be answered on the first day, so I may just be worried for nothing. I definitely have a list of questions just in case they aren’t answered (including one about water bottles). I just want to get through these first few weeks. I think everything will be more calm after cyber week.

Back