Archived Hired as Seasonal Cashier, Want Hardlines Later On

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NMpdx13

Hi all!

I'm glad this forum is here, it's been a wealth of information already!

So, I was just hired as a Seasonal Cashier (my orientation is early Nov.). I used to work at a grocery store years ago, and I have a full-time job now, so this is a second job to make some extra money, as well as keep me busy sometimes. I am hoping that it lasts after the holiday season though!

My question is this. I was hired for a cashier position, which is fine, BUT, I really would work in Hardlines. When I worked in the grocery store, I LOVED being a courtesy clerk rather than as a cashier, stuck at the register all day. I really enjoyed stocking the shelves, believe it or not (I'm a bit of an OCD organizer, lol), and I really enjoyed the freedom of interacting with the guests in the aisles of the grocery store. SO, to my question finally. How do I go about letting them know that I would love to switch over to Hardlines after a while? I don't mind working as a cashier, but I think for my happiness and willingness to stay at Target after the holidays, I would rather work on the sales floor.

Will there be a way for me to cross-train on hardlines while I'm a cashier? Who would I talk to? I mean, I don't want to seem ungrateful for hiring me, it's just that I would much rather perform duties that I really enjoy and that I'm good at instead.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice!

Welcome! I would talk to a Hardlines Team Lead and let them know you would like to cross-train in hardlines. I would also talk to your Guest Service Team Lead and let them know you are interested in cross-training so that you don't disappear from their schedule one day while possibly training. With the holidays coming, i'm not sure how much time could be spared to do some training, but it sounds like you already have the gist of hardlines with your previous experience.

Communication is key, so make sure you let your leaders know asap, and hopefully they can get something going for you, even if it's a hardlines shift every so often. Once you're trained and familiar with the work, you will be able to pick up shifts that other's put up on the swap shift board for the hardlines work center. :)

Good luck. Since you were hired as a cashier you can expect the majority of your shifts to come from there since that ETL hired you. At my store we cross train people but we dont let them change their main work center in their 90.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies! I figured that I would need to stick it out for my 90 days as a cashier, but I also wanted them to know that I'm interested in Hardlines as well.

Thanks so much!

i was hired as seasonal and was kept on. i think it had to do with my willingness to always come in when asked and i always extended and asked if i could extend when it looked like they would need me. i ended up extending to cover hardlines during my 90 days because they knew i would extended if they asked. its bumped around a lot, cart attendant, cashier, guest services, bike builder, hardlines, and soon electronics. just always work hard, show you want it, and have a positive vibe to coworkers and guests.

Of course, if you aren't getting any Reds as a seasonal cashier, you likely won't be kept on.

Good luck. Since you were hired as a cashier you can expect the majority of your shifts to come from there since that ETL hired you. At my store we cross train people but we dont let them changed their main work center in their 90.

Same at our store!

If you want to be kept on after the season: Be willing to come early/stay later, keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your phone on (even if you can't accept the shift, by answering them you don't keep them dangling & you'll be on their A-list for the good shifts), work hard when you're there, NEVER be afraid to ask questions because there's no such thing as a stupid question while you're learning, avoid store politics & gossip, NEVER turn down an opportunity to learn something new.
Good luck; may the odds be ever in your favor & the force be with you.

Last edited:
DON'T be good at selling red cards or you'll be cashiering forever.

Counterpoint... do be good at selling red cards. I know my store had cashiers who wanted to transfer to hardlines, but our (admittedly horrible) ETL-GS wouldn't let them because of low red card metrics

Just remember... You are there to fill their needs, not the other way around. Not to sound mean, but most likely they hired you for cashier because that's where the need is. At my store the needs for flow, so anyone not willing to wake up early and do the work, doesn't get hired. Just gets the "we will add you to the folder and if anything comes up we will give you the call" Talk to the team leads, pick up shifts, but never expect everything. Expect what you were hired for, and hope for more.

aaf_shifty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back