Archived Hold. The. Phone... Why am I working for "free"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
I'm one of my store's "full-time" fitting room/operator TMs. Correct me if I'm wrong but (core roles aside) the core duties in this position are:

• Answer the phone and handle calls accordingly
  • Run the fitting room (Check-in guests, process reshops, maintain a clean work environment, etc...)
I know most of us help zone areas that are within earshot of the phone (my store is active, mens, back half of RTW), and that is fine and all since the position pays the same as salesfloor TMs.

Lately I've been helping out other teams IN ADDITION to doing my own work. I've been helping price change with their workload for RTW, active, and mens. I've been helping instocks by researching and rainchecking mens basics. I've been helping plano by setting POGs that are under their workload in mens basics.

All of these extra things that I'm doing to "help the store" are supposed to be done by TMs that are paid at a higher pay grade than I am. Hate to say it, but $.25-.50/hr is $.25-.50/hr. I hate to split hairs but I'm not getting paid to do their work. Should I have a sitdown with my TL about it?

In order to get additional pay, the majority of your hours would have to be in one of those workcenters (in general, not just for a short period). If most of your hours are at the fitting room, then you can only be paid as per N03.

Reactions: NOP
In order to get additional pay, the majority of your hours would have to be in one of those workcenters (in general, not just for a short period). If most of your hours are at the fitting room, then you can only be paid as per N03.
...and I'm past the "I'm grateful for the learning experience" part of doing the additional work. If price change is chronically behind on their workload, why don't they add/fill the position? (they have an opening) Same thing with plano. I will gladly go over to one of those teams. I just don't think it's right for leadership to expect TMs who are in lower paygrades to pick up the workload of higher paygrade teams.

Your TL probably knows how much work you are doing outside of your workcenter. As long as you get things done (extra things) your TL probably won't say a word about it...because by helping others your TL is getting in good with fellow TLs.

One possible option would be to talk to a SrTL or to your HR department. Once they know that you are doing work for others they'll probably talk with your TL....then the feathers will fly.

Another option...STOP being so helpful. Try to make sure that the area you work in is totally neat. Keep busy. There are always shirts to fold, re-shop to do, shoes, diapers, men's T-shirts, women's bras and underwear to zone. If you do these things then you'll be way too busy to help others.

I'd suggest that you try the second option first....then resort to SrTL.

My store has a cordless phone to use so our operators are all over the store. So be glad that you have to stay near the fitting room.

One Team One Goal is the saying in our store. Just do what youre suppose to do since its work that someone is asking for you to do. If you want to get paid more then make your voice be heard so that you can change to a higher paid workcenter.

Its part of that Anti-Union stance so you can cross train. If we were union store you would not be allowed cause they would refuse to pay you the higher grade. Working cheap the spot way.

I'm one of my store's "full-time" fitting room/operator TMs. Correct me if I'm wrong but (core roles aside) the core duties in this position are:

• Answer the phone and handle calls accordingly
  • Run the fitting room (Check-in guests, process reshops, maintain a clean work environment, etc...)
I know most of us help zone areas that are within earshot of the phone (my store is active, mens, back half of RTW), and that is fine and all since the position pays the same as salesfloor TMs.

Lately I've been helping out other teams IN ADDITION to doing my own work. I've been helping price change with their workload for RTW, active, and mens. I've been helping instocks by researching and rainchecking mens basics. I've been helping plano by setting POGs that are under their workload in mens basics.

All of these extra things that I'm doing to "help the store" are supposed to be done by TMs that are paid at a higher pay grade than I am. Hate to say it, but $.25-.50/hr is $.25-.50/hr. I hate to split hairs but I'm not getting paid to do their work. Should I have a sitdown with my TL about it?

It's called surplus labour:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surplus_labour

You do know that claim of that unions dont let you work in other areas is complete BS?

THAAAANNNNK YOU! I've been saying that for years. (at different employers).

Speaking of working for free, my ETL left me a message for me to call her. Okay, you gonna let me do a punch correction?

Speaking of working for free, my ETL left me a message for me to call her. Okay, you gonna let me do a punch correction?
no shit. i talked with my boss about an APBP visit on the phone for 1 hour and 6 minutes.
Dammit.

Its part of that Anti-Union stance so you can cross train. If we were union store you would not be allowed cause they would refuse to pay you the higher grade. Working cheap the spot way.

You do know that claim of that unions dont let you work in other areas is complete BS?

Sorry my sarcasm was as subtle as it was. I carried a CWA union card for 3 years and walked picket lines growing up. So yeah I know its total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry my sarcasm was as subtle as it was. I carried a CWA union card for 3 years and walked picket lines growing up. So yeah I know its total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a former CWA "shop" steward myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back