Archived Holy cow! Wal-mart workers going on strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This hasn't made the headlines, but apparently Wal-mart workers in several cities have been going on S the past few days and now there is apparently a massive underground movement going on with wal-mart employees in various stores to S on black friday. This could get interesting.... ABC News has video of a pretty angry looking group of Wal-mart workers protesting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walmart-worker-protests-spread/story?id=17445295#.UHdBoEL3AlL

"The latest news in the Walmart labor protests -- which have included walkouts and marches in Dallas, San Diego, Chicago and Los Angeles -- is the threat of a S on Black Friday. That's the day after Thanksgiving, widely considered the busiest, and most lucrative, retail day of the year.

Some 200 angry protesters showed up at a meeting of investors and analysts earlier Wednesday at Walmart's headquarters in Bentonville, Ark. Under discussion at the meeting was Walmart's intent to go head-to-head with Amazon and offer same-day delivery.

It was the first-ever employee walk-out in the company's 50-year history, said Dawn Le, a spokeswoman for Making Change at Walmart, a coalition whose mission is to change the way Walmart conducts business."

"The latest news in the Walmart labor protests -- which have included walkouts and marches in Dallas, San Diego, Chicago and Los Angeles -- is the threat of a S on Black Friday. That's the day after Thanksgiving, widely considered the busiest, and most lucrative, retail day of the year.

Go Wal-mart Go!!

If all goes well with Walmart, perhaps Target team members will join Wal-mart on Black Friday!.......this would really be the epitome of "demonstrating courage!"

It was bound to happen eventually.
You can only abuse people for so long before they snap.
Don't know if this will last or if there will be any positive results this time but it's a foreshadowing of the future.

And Walmart even gave a Christmas bonus last year or was it 2 years ago? Minimum was $400 max was $2,000 if I remember right. Everyone at my store got a Christmas card with a piece of candy in it? :huh:

And Walmart even gave a Christmas bonus last year or was it 2 years ago? Minimum was $400 max was $2,000 if I remember right. Everyone at my store got a Christmas card with a piece of candy in it? :huh:

Walmart actually gives quarterly bonuses every year to every store who makes sales. Their christmas gift is a 10 percent off coupon off one item stacked with your discount. Grandfathered employees also get a cash bonus based on years of service, but it is very small.

Lately the Christmas "bonus" from Walmart to all of its employees is a 10% discount on groceries. Usually Walmart employees are not entitled to an employee discount on groceries. The discount is good on all other non-clearance merchandise in the store though, including auto service.
I still save more at Target with my debit Red Card.

Interesting....my parents said that they get the 10% on groceries year round now. Hmm...I'll have to ask about that again. But yeah, no clearance stuff and I thought my mom said no sale stuff, either? Can't remember on that one.

Wouldn't it be nice if people who make 7$ to 19$/hr would all get wise and organize, S, collective bargain, demand better pay, benefits, treatment, job security, pensions, bonuses, you name it!

wow, closed the store? so they can afford to close a store but can't give hours to actually have team members do a good job and give great guest service.
why do the workers on the ground who make a corporation exist are the first to be sacrificed?

No thanks. i dont need a damn union fishing for my money. I don't really have an issue with my bosses. (expect their stupidty at times) I work nights so i have a set mon-friday schedule 40 hours a week. Overtime? Would be nice, but not gonna ***** about it? better working conditions? its a retail store. not the damn bahamas. Want a promotion? WORK YOUR ASS OFF. Don't expect **** to be handed down to you... If its that much of a problem then find another job.

The bonus is given quarterly is is based on sales, shink and other things. Our last one was $514. highest ever since the store opened in 2010.

Interesting....my parents said that they get the 10% on groceries year round now. Hmm...I'll have to ask about that again. But yeah, no clearance stuff and I thought my mom said no sale stuff, either? Can't remember on that one.

SOME groceries. mostly snacks and fresh veggies/fruits. but not on sale items, clearance etc

Unions don't give you promotions, you still have to work for them.
Job safety is a problem in retail, toxic chemicals, unsafe ladders, etc. but those problems are fixed mostly because of pressure brought by unions to make laws.
They also worked for the 40 hour week, minimum wage, child labor laws etc, all things certain people with a lot of money (read the Koch brothers) would like to get rid of.
Unions stand in your corner when you are getting screwed by the system and because of that every kind of propaganda has been used against them to make you believe they are evil and against your best interests.
This has been a carefully conducted campaign to kill the influence of unions so I'm not surprised but it's kind of sad that the what made this country prosperous and great is being denigrated and destroyed by s small group of selfish power hungry bastards.

Yeah, I used to believe the anti-union propoganda as well. Then I started to see what big business can, and will, do to their workers just to bump up their bottom line that tiniest fraction.

There is a good portion of Target's anti-union propoganda which focuses on the fact that unions are only in it for the money. Fine, that's fair and potentionally true but what is Target in it for? The same thing. Frankly, I'll take a union over a corporation any day of the week. Why? Because the union might have money as a driving force but they also have a vested interest in seeing me succeed. At the very least its more of an interest Target has in seeing me succeed who just sees long term employees as nothing more than too much payroll expense.

Ask yourself this, why is Target/Walmart so scared of Unions? Is it because they're protecting us from having our entire paycheck taken by a union or is it because they're scared they might have to start taking team members seriously...

Ask yourself this, why is Target/Walmart so scared of Unions? Is it because they're protecting us from having our entire paycheck taken by a union or is it because they're scared they might have to start taking team members seriously...

I'm gonna go with choice B.

Yeah, I used to believe the anti-union propoganda as well. Then I started to see what big business can, and will, do to their workers just to bump up their bottom line that tiniest fraction.

There is a good portion of Target's anti-union propoganda which focuses on the fact that unions are only in it for the money. Fine, that's fair and potentionally true but what is Target in it for? The same thing. Frankly, I'll take a union over a corporation any day of the week. Why? Because the union might have money as a driving force but they also have a vested interest in seeing me succeed. At the very least its more of an interest Target has in seeing me succeed who just sees long term employees as nothing more than too much payroll expense.

That's all people have to do.
Just ask a few questions.
The answers speak for themselves.

yeah that's the most laughable thing about the anti-union video

"keep in mind that unions are a business, and they are in business to make money. the only way a union can make money is through dues..."

what is target, a non-profit? when not checked, corporations AND unions can be a really bad thing. But when one side has way more power than the other, bad things happen. Since right now labor is being exploited, in my estimation, at an ever growing rate, it's the laborer who's taking the brunt of the abuse.

Well look at what unions did to the employees of hostess.

unions are good in some degrees, but like I said all they want is your money. i have enough bills, why the **** would I pay some money hungry CEO> and you have to go to them if there is an issue. why would anyone want to have to go though that trouble

Umm.....check out the CEO and top executive pay at Hostess. They made a money grab and tried to skirt bankruptcy laws by giving insane raises. The CEO got a 300% pay increase. Three Hundred percent; $750,000 to $2,550,000. Executive pay bumps of $400,000 to $700,000; $375,000 to $656,256; $375,000 to $656,256; $375,000 to $656,256; $300,000 to $480,000; $240,000 to $360,000; $240,000 to $360,000; $182,000 to $273,008., etc. It's not a union contract issue. It was a money-grab at a company that had depreciating returns.

Umm.....check out the CEO and top executive pay at Hostess. They made a money grab and tried to skirt bankruptcy laws by giving insane raises. The CEO got a 300% pay increase. Three Hundred percent; $750,000 to $2,550,000. Executive pay bumps of $400,000 to $700,000; $375,000 to $656,256; $375,000 to $656,256; $375,000 to $656,256; $300,000 to $480,000; $240,000 to $360,000; $240,000 to $360,000; $182,000 to $273,008., etc. It's not a union contract issue. It was a money-grab at a company that had depreciating returns.

But ... but the unions are teh evil for trying to make sure employees can make a decent living .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back