Archived how come hours still suck with so many open positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF? This is exclusive to retail and food service jobs.

Virtually every other industry actually has *mandatory overtime*. Go talk to a utility worker, for example. They are begging for less hours because they are required to work 60-70 hour weeks.

Yea, you notice which ones of those are the unionized jobs?
But the real point is that retail has decided that people should be able to do 60 hours worth of work in 30 hours.

Yea, you notice which ones of those are the unionized jobs?
But the real point is that retail has decided that people should be able to do 60 hours worth of work in 30 hours.

Lol... So utility workers are lazy and retail workers are not is what you are saying? That must be why utility workers work in disaster situations (i.e. hurricanes), usually have to have at least a 2 year degree, and perform work that can cost them their life. (electrical work, climbing up telephone poles, etc.) That must be why half the TMs at a Target store walk around like they are half dead. Clearly, they are the most productive.

The fact is, utility work is always needed. There is always something breaking or screwed up. Power always is going out some place. Some idiot is always rupturing a water main somewhere. Some storm is always destroying something. They work 60 hour weeks because there is always work to be done, not because they are lazy.

I love this crab mentality. Always try to bring someone down to make yourself look better.

Lol... So utility workers are lazy and retail workers are not is what you are saying? That must be why utility workers work in disaster situations (i.e. hurricanes), usually have to have at least a 2 year degree, and perform work that can cost them their life. (electrical work, climbing up telephone poles, etc.) That must be why half the TMs at a Target store walk around like they are half dead. Clearly, they are the most productive.

The fact is, utility work is always needed. There is always something breaking or screwed up. Power always is going out some place. Some idiot is always rupturing a water main somewhere. Some storm is always destroying something. They work 60 hour weeks because there is always work to be done, not because they are lazy.

I love this crab mentality. Always try to bring someone down to make yourself look better.

Dude..........

You are so reading that backwards.
It's like you haven't read a word of what I've written over the years.
Look the only reason the lineman get overtime, mandatory or not is because they are important and hard working.
I went through Sandy and have nothing but nice things to say about those guys (nasty things for their bosses but that's another post).
Their unions are what makes sure they get the overtime pay and that their bosses don't pack more work into less time.
I never said they were lazy.
What I said was that Spot was taking advantage of us.

Dude..........

You are so reading that backwards.
It's like you haven't read a word of what I've written over the years.
Look the only reason the lineman get overtime, mandatory or not is because they are important and hard working.
I went through Sandy and have nothing but nice things to say about those guys (nasty things for their bosses but that's another post).
Their unions are what makes sure they get the overtime pay and that their bosses don't pack more work into less time.
I never said they were lazy.
What I said was that Spot was taking advantage of us.

Ok maybe I jumped to conclusions.

we literally have 10-12 logistics/BR spots open, people they hire are 100% worthless and quit within a week, the handful that are good only get 15hours a week and dont even bother staying. Why not just half the people they need and give more hours?

If there are 10-12 spots open, who is getting the extra hours to finish the logistics workload? Someone is.

Last edited:
This X's 1000

Good workers really have no incentive to stay, Our Flow/BR TLs rely on 3-4 people for absolutely everything, myself included and it wears on you, especially when you get that check and its like wow Im exhausted and for this?

I definitely get leaned on a lot and what Target gives you back is simply not sustainable if you have bills, I've been looking for work at my trade since I started there and I really see very little reason to think twice about staying once I find something.

The bad ones coast by and leave and the good ones get fed up and leave also.

This. This is the story of my life.... EVERY SINGLE DAY, " oh we need you to help out in H&B/softlines/etc "... There are probably only 5 or 6 people my ETL-Log is NOT willing to fire right now.. The rest she is absolutely ready to boot.

This. This is the story of my life.... EVERY SINGLE DAY, " oh we need you to help out in H&B/softlines/etc "... There are probably only 5 or 6 people my ETL-Log is NOT willing to fire right now.. The rest she is absolutely ready to boot.

I will tell you this and it is the honest to god truth.

When I was a GSTL when I first was promoted to TL I had 4 cart attendants. Of those 4, the best one we had was the one with a mental disability. Literally ran circles around the other 3.

Now, about the other 3. Most of them "disappeared" in the parking lot for 45 mins at a time, refused to clean the bathrooms, never smiled, and couldn't even manage getting a decent amount of carts in.

About a month after I was promoted, I went to the ETL-GE and ETL-HR and said we needed to fire these 3. They both laughed at me and said "Why?" I listed the above reasons. They said "So, you think terming them will fix the problem?" I said "YES!". They said "You'll never get anyone better".

I thought that was bull sh**. Eventually I managed to get them termed over a few months time. Not all of them of course, but one gone every other month or so.

Guess what? My ETL-GE and ETL-HR were right. In fact, the new ones (who seemed good at the interview) turned out to be even worse!

The fact is, for what target pays and the few benefits they now offer, it is very hard to get a "good" TM in the door. (it has been easier during the recession, but remember I am talking about when unemployment was 4%) Now that the unemployment rate is dropping, the same situation will occur. Yea, every now and then you will get lucky and get a good TM. Fact is, that one good TM is rare and is only going to be in 1 in 10 TMs. Doesn't matter how many you term.... most of the replacements will simply not be high performers.

The fact is, for what target pays and the few benefits they now offer, it is very hard to get a "good" TM in the door. (it has been easier during the recession, but remember I am talking about when unemployment was 4%) Now that the unemployment rate is dropping, the same situation will occur. Yea, every now and then you will get lucky and get a good TM. Fact is, that one good TM is rare and is only going to be in 1 in 10 TMs. Doesn't matter how many you term.... most of the replacements will simply not be high performers.

If you beat the most loyal dog, eventually he will turn against you.

That's what Target does to its TMs & eventually they stop caring or trying.

Why should a TM put himself out if Target treats its great employees the same way it treats the slackers?

I thought that was bull sh**. Eventually I managed to get them termed over a few months time. Not all of them of course, but one gone every other month or so.

Guess what? My ETL-GE and ETL-HR were right. In fact, the new ones (who seemed good at the interview) turned out to be even worse!

Doesn't matter how many you term.... most of the replacements will simply not be high performers.
I think the ones you got termed are now working at MY store & they SUCK!!

If you beat the most loyal dog, eventually he will turn against you.

That's what Target does to its TMs & eventually they stop caring or trying.

Why should a TM put himself out if Target treats its great employees the same way it treats the slackers?

That's true of the top performers, for sure. However, part of the problem are the TMs who just don't care from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back