Archived How difficult is it to transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry

World's happiest cynic.
Sometime within the next year, I'm strongly considering moving to Cincinnati. Even though I have friends with connections who live there, and the job market is leaps and bounds better than where I live, I would prefer to have some kind of job when I get there.

As such, how difficult is it to transfer from one store to another?

How difficult is it to transfer from one department to another (I'm thinking about transferring from sales floor to pricing or presentation)?

Can one take an LOA from one store and return to work at the store they wish to transfer to?

It's easy if you have the backing of your STL and ETL-HR. Of course the store would need to have openings for you to transfer there. Yes you can do the LOA thing, it's a little more difficult that way

Its not hard. But its easy for transfers to be screwed up by HR if not handled correctly.

Cincinnati being a large metro area, I would start researching where you are going to live and which stores are in that area. And see if you can get any info on volume and hours.

If you LOA, you have to return back to your original store.

It's easy if you have the backing of your STL and ETL-HR. Of course the store would need to have openings for you to transfer there. Yes you can do the LOA thing, it's a little more difficult that way

That's my only worry. On one hand, I don't think I'm that liked at my store. On the other hand, I've been told that I'm generally one of the more reliable workers at the store.

'Tis a double edged sword, really.

Its not hard. But its easy for transfers to be screwed up by HR if not handled correctly.

Cincinnati being a large metro area, I would start researching where you are going to live and which stores are in that area. And see if you can get any info on volume and hours.

If you LOA, you have to return back to your original store.

1.) That's good to hear; the fact that it's easy. I think the HR (at my store, anyway) is more than reliable.

2.) Already done it. There are 5 stores in the Cincinnati area, and I've been looking into Studio apartments.

3.) I've heard mixed things on this one. Some have said what you did. While others (including HR at my store) have said that I could return from LOA at another store.

it took like a month when I transferred because HR sucked and the stl didnt want to let me go.

Yes double edged sword indeed. I know at my store a TM wanted to transfer and they wouldn't do it basically you have to be on good standing yadda, yadda,yadda and somehow this person wasn't ( who knows really) or maybe they didn't have positions but for some reason they wouldn't transfer them.

I have family that lives in Columbus, only like hour and 15 minutes north of Cincinnati. A couple of them work for Target too. Columbus has a lot of Targets when you include the metro area. I wanna say the city encompasses two districts, but don't quote me on that.

The state unemployment is pretty low too. Which should mean plenty of job opportunities, not just with Spot.

1.) That's good to hear; the fact that it's easy. I think the HR (at my store, anyway) is more than reliable.

2.) Already done it. There are 5 stores in the Cincinnati area, and I've been looking into Studio apartments.

3.) I've heard mixed things on this one. Some have said what you did. While others (including HR at my store) have said that I could return from LOA at another store.

Off topic, but only 5 stores in all of metro Cincinnati? There have to be at least double the amount of Target stores within 10 miles of me, but Southern California is saturated with Spot.

The state unemployment is pretty low too. Which should mean plenty of job opportunities, not just with Spot.

Yep. Another reason I wish to move to Ohio (among others). However, I just want to have some form of employment while I look for better opportunities.

Off topic, but only 5 stores in all of metro Cincinnati? There have to be at least double the amount of Target stores within 10 miles of me, but Southern California is saturated with Spot.

There's 5 in the city of Cincinnati itself. There are a couple in the surrounding areas; including Kentucky.

Yes double edged sword indeed. I know at my store a TM wanted to transfer and they wouldn't do it basically you have to be on good standing yadda, yadda,yadda and somehow this person wasn't ( who knows really) or maybe they didn't have positions but for some reason they wouldn't transfer them.

Yeah, I will admit this is a concern of mine. I don't think management really thinks too highly of me.

You will need HRs that care and are competent on both sides of a transfer. Those are not good odds.

The only really bad thing is that Spot will only let you apply for one position at a time; even if you're interested in multiple areas.

Figure out where you're going, then apply. Before I moved, I called and talked to a few stores around where I was going to live and got a feel for their needs. I didn't apply until my current store agreed that they had a place for me.

Yesterday I officially made my request to transfer and applied for a position at a Spot in Cincy. HR said that they would do everything they could to try and convince the other HR to let me go through.

Now we play the waiting game.

It's as easy as the HR in both stores are willing to make it. My transfer was a nightmare because the HR at the new store kept pushing back doing my paperwork. Three days before my move date I finally got a response after a months of them dicking around.

Sometimes stores will transfer someone as a means to get rid of them. Had this happen last year at my store. The previous store pretty much lied about the team member to the Etl Hardlines, so the person could transfer. Then we found out many months later that this person was not liked at their old store, was a poor performer, and they saw this as an easy way of getting rid of them. Which made sense as to why they had been working at spot for over 5 years in hardlines, but didn't know how to shoot/print labels and signs, or set a sales planner.

When I was living in SoCal there were two Spots that I could walk to, including one a block away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back