Archived How do you deal with the stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to Planet Fitness and use the elliptical machine, or I use the punching bag. :)

I see working sort of like playing a character. Think about it. You don't act that much like your normal self at work. My normal self would probably walk away or retaliate if someone was being rude to me. Here, I "vibe".

I talk about this kind of thing all the time. Forget paying for acting school, I've been getting paid for three years to perfect my acting craft at Target.

I do take my work seriously, no matter what it is, because I know it reflects on me as a person. I will admit, Some days it is really hard to put on a smile and to bite my tongue, but I do because I know it's not right to take my frustrations out on others.
I have a bad habit of trying to take on too many tasks at once, so setting goals and priorities for myself can help reduce the stress. I constantly tell myself, "I am just one person," as a reminder that I don't have to and shouldn't be able to do everything on my own. I know that upper management forgets that, but there is no reason that I have to.

I am taking a meditation and stress management class right now (last class is this week though), here are some tips I learned

Exercise: Enhances your mood, makes you healthier and can reduce stress. Example go for a walk, run or lift weights
Meditate: Good for your health, both mentally and physically it can lower your blood pressure for example.
Social support. Surround yourself with the 'right' people; give support (ie charitable acts)
Displacing major worry on something less threatening: If you or someone you know is injured/has a major illness, focus on what you're eating for dinner.
Stay positive: Find something small to be your anchor to shift attention. Rain = slow day at work
Disconnect: Turn off technology, go off "the grid". For some, participating in sports is a way to off the grid.
Sleep: Increases you EQ, decreases your stress hormones. Amount of sleep to function person to person.
Breathe: activates parasympathetic nervous system, helps you focus.
Walk mindfully: Walk more slowly. Notice nature, smells, sounds and people
Check out if your unavoidable stress is really unavoidable: Take a cautious, fearless glance within. Listen deeply; give your feelings room to express themselves. Wait patiently for the truth to be revealed. Use the flipping chart, ask others for input, talk and or use a journal/reflection.
Punch a wall/take your frustrations out on an inanimate objects.
Find solace in a hobby. Examples: rebuild a car or work on your lawn.
Just keep yourself busy

All are done with the intention of relieving stress in some way. You have people who physically destroy inanimate objects (IE the scene in office space where they destroy the printer). Then there are people you do physical activities such as running or lifting weights. Then there are people who dive into a hobby such as rebuilding cars or playing video games. Some imagine positive things for themselves such has winning the lottery, getting married or having children. Some people keep their bodies and minds occupied with work, school, and other activities.

Then there is drinking and over eating. Be smart about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back