Archived How do you handle a double trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious how different stores handle doubles.

I know it helps to bring the team in earlier so we are able to complete more floor work before the store opens, we are a 4am. We normally have two truck throwers in each trailer and a scanner in each one, however, the flow of two trailers moving at the same unload pace jams the line intersection, so i have toyed with the idea of two throwers in the larger trailer and one thrower in the smaller one, once the big one is complete have one more person help the smaller trailer to finish. Nice thing with the speed of unload having two trailers unloaded at the same time is the throwers do no need to switch out.

And we all know the more team members the easier it is, we will have three waves and I keep people where tehy are comfortable and familiar to ensure we are staying productive. Our backroom team that comes in at 2am, usually help with repacks/pulls on the sales floor, but i have been challenged to bring them in at 4am, which i am for that idea, this will help ensure they have more time to backstock and we won't be tempted to use them with unload.

How do you guys play out your double days!?!?!?

Thanks in advance!

We usally have one thrower in the trailer where the driver isnt waiting two in the live trailer and the person scanning the dead trailer directs traffic at the y intercetion of the line. when the live trailer is done the other guys jump in the other trailer and just keep going at the pace they were going in the first trailer.

Hmm... I have never thought of that lol, how long does it normally take for unload? Does it seem to help with the unload time? Say each trailer is 2500, my goal time is under 2 hours. We can usually do it!

Edit: what do u mean by live and dead?

I think:
Live = driver waiting to leave with truck.
Dead = driver dropped truck and left empty.

@targetflowslave: Are your trailers Co-Loaded with another store(s) that require you to live unload? I don't know of any stores that do live unloads with dead-stacked trailers as most stores have a dedicated door at the DC and individual trailer to themselves to unload.

For dual unloading, the larger trailer should be in the primary door and and should have the advantage of having the least curves/turns in the nesta-flex (or if the main track is lined up straight with the door, there won't be any curves). Stores with a isolated doors that have a 90 degree bend or more from the main track would be exempt since both tracks would be running side by side with each other down the hallway until the 'Y' intersection. The primary trailer gains the right-of-way of convey coming down with the 2nd trailer slipping in each time there is a gap between the flow of boxes.

Our store only has 3 bay doors and one has a stoarge trailer at one of them and then the other one is for the rdc trailer and then we have one bay for the vendors. so if they dropped both trailers we would have no way to have vendors unload their trucks. thats why we have a Dead truck which is the one driver drops and leaves and the live one which is as soon as it is empty the driver leaves with it.

How often do you take 2's then? Have you considered partnering with your DC to have the 2nd trailer delivered around the time you're done unloading the first trailer? That way the 2nd driver swaps out the trailers and takes the empty first one away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back