Archived How long does it take you to zone a whole department?

• Thread starter targetgirl123456
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do TL's and ETL's make such a huge deal about zoning according to the planogram, checking labels, taking out backstock, etc. during the huddle but when you're on the sales floor you get criticized for doing just that but taking too long to zone? You have to fix instock's mistakes or fix a department that is a war zone. Or.....you do a quick "fake" zone as another poster said and bandaid the problem but the next thing you know an ETL passes by and decides to randomly check something and its out of place and then you still get criticized and told that you need to be trained. Or they ask you to do one thing and then change their mind and then another and then you don't accomplish anything at the end of the shift.

I mean, it's not the first time I've had managers that are unreasonable. All of them seem to be like this.

If I ever manage I would do my best to be understanding and not contradict myself.

Last edited:
Why do TL's and ETL's make such a huge deal about zoning according to the planogram, checking labels, taking out backstock, etc. during the huddle but when you're on the sales floor you get criticized for doing just that but taking too long to zone? You have to fix instock's mistakes or fix a department that is a war zone. Or.....you do a quick "fake" zone as another poster said and bandaid the problem but the next thing you know an ETL passes by and decides to randomly check something and its out of place and then you still get criticized and told that you need to be trained. Or they ask you to do one thing and then change their mind and then another and then you don't accomplish anything at the end of the shift.

I mean, it's not the first time I've had managers that are unreasonable. All of them seem to be like this.

If I ever manage I would do my best to be understanding and not contradict myself.

Honestly, having worked my fair share of closing hardlines shifts I completely understand. My main priority when recovering the store is having everything pulled forward and in the right spot (for the most part). I'll ask TM's to backtrack when aisles are far from being 'walls' or things look a bit off, but I'm not gonna sit there and yell at someone for candles/deodorant being in the wrong spots. That's just ridiculous.
Things like that should be put in closing notes and saved for deep-zone projects when TM's get free time the next day.

I will detail zone specific tedious areas at the start of a shift (binders, Barbie, Essie) and then go through with a regular zone. The thing is this, I zone my areas on a regular basis so I know what goes where and how many should be there. Do I know every single item? Nope, but I know it enough that I can do it quickly and correctly. I just don't understand why I pull off a tub+ of overstock every shift but no one else ever has any.

I will detail zone specific tedious areas at the start of a shift (binders, Barbie, Essie) and then go through with a regular zone. The thing is this, I zone my areas on a regular basis so I know what goes where and how many should be there. Do I know every single item? Nope, but I know it enough that I can do it quickly and correctly. I just don't understand why I pull off a tub+ of overstock every shift but no one else ever has any.
Exactly. But my rant was triggered because I was stuck in an area I had never zoned before...and it already looked "fake zoned". If it's already zoned and they want you to re-zone and do an "amazing job" then I guess most would assume they want it zoned perfectly.

Last edited:
Exactly. But my rant was triggered because I was stuck in an area I had never zoned before...and it already looked "fake zoned". If it's already zoned and they want you to re-zone and do an "amazing job" then I guess most would assume they want it zoned perfectly.

Communicate your concern to your tl. Do a quick fix now. Then do proper fix when back in the zoning area.request to tl's when closing.

Well I work in dry market and If I'm by myself I usually take my sweet ass time because I know I can always finish the Zone. Its just a matter of pacing at certain times. One time the PA called out and I zoned all of dry, backwall freezers, inlines, and Pfresh with only like half a cart of go backs. *bows to audience*:buba: XD

I hate to say this but it also depend on the area, like if your located in a ghetto area, the people there tend to be messier and don't give a rats ass if tm have to pick up after them. On the other hand, if you go into a nice white area, everything seems untouched --;

Sad to say but its almost true (but some of the ghetto area has the 'nice white area' people in them and they take advantage of the filthy state of some departments) I finish cosmetics in 2hrs doing zone and somehow the main cosmetics TM is always calling out leaving plenty of re-shops for me so that takes about 3 to almost the fourth hour into work. There is also the oh-so dirty guest who open packages, try on nail polish or foundation, little kids drawing with the testers, and my beloved little shoplifters.

Well I work in dry market and If I'm by myself I usually take my sweet ass time because I know I can always finish the Zone. Its just a matter of pacing at certain times. One time the PA called out and I zoned all of dry, backwall freezers, inlines, and Pfresh with only like half a cart of go backs. *bows to audience*:buba: XD

We have to do this every night for pfresh closing by ourselves, and we now have to leave at 7 this week, and 8pm for the forseeable future.

I've gotten a bit faster with my zoning, despite the fact that I'm only on the floor once or twice a month nowadays. HBA, Toys/Sporting Goods, and Seasonal may take an entire shift because they get destroyed at my store, but B block (Stationery and Kitchen) and Domestics go pretty fast - i.e. I have time to push re-shop in those areas. Well, as long as towels, bedding, and/or picture frames aren't on sale and it's not 4th quarter. And Market? I've only zoned it once, and it didn't go well because I spent about 2/3 of my shift back-up cashing (yes, we were that short-handed).

When I am in electronics, 20 minutes, then sporting goods 30 mins. Mostly to pog, depending on store condition with caf's & reshop.

I am only ever put up in A (HBA, chem & pets) or Market (dry, freezer, and paper). Each one will literally take me all night. Market I tend to get through quicker because it's not as many smaller items, plus I don't have to zone pfresh. When in A, I tend to be the only one who will consistently answer for guest first since I'm the closest to the registers.

I miss the days of doing domestics. Could get through that area about 3x a night. At least twice even on a bad night...

Getting trained in electronics soon though. Do not look forward to having to zone toys cause it is always a hot damn mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back