Archived How many BRTMs do you have for a truck day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart621

Flow Driver
In the past we have 4 TMs in the morning, 2 TMs (1 CAF puller, 1 pusher/backup) and 1 TM closing. Then we have 2 TMs for the Pfresh truck. Most of the time we come clean on everything (around 2300 truck). 8 hour shifts except for the closer. This was when we're 4am store

Now we have 3 TMs in the morning, 1 TM who comes in at 10am for 4 hours, then 1 TM who comes in 230pm to close. Our TL comes in at 8am. They count this person as part of the team, which we don't because he got TL duties to do. They expect us to take care of PFresh too. Same size of truck. There's not a day we came close of finish everything. PFresh, Pharmacy/Cosmetics (separate BS rooms) and Electronics remain untouched till the next day.

I'm starting to become depressed because of this. I'm the type of person who wants to end the shift with at least 95% done. We barely reach 60%

We have 4 window lickers but a massive flow team to compensate at my store. Depending on the store type I'd expect that number should be doubled!

We get 2600-2800 piece trucks. For the morning we have a TL, 4 brtms but one always calls out. We have one sfs that helps with bs and ff. We normally have a 10-6pm but not always. The closer normally does a 2-10pm. We never come clean with bs ever. When we get a pfresh truck they normally try to have a guy bs for about 4 hours but it looks horrible over there.

I'm at a volume A store we just consistently started getting 6 trucks a week around 2300-2400 pieces with 3 pfresh trucks a week around 800 - 1100(friday). We have 6 BRAM for 6 hours on truck days. We come clean with this everyday excluding a big reset in cosmetics or something. I"m the logistics TL and the morning team is responsible for the truck AND coming clean on anything they walk into.

I have a "daytime" TM come in for a 4.45 hr shift to pull all the plano batches, salesplanners to be set that day, monitor FF, SDA's, BR audit, and pull research. This person goes home at 12:45 after helping pull the 12pm cafs with another team member who comes in from around 11-6:15. My closer will come right when the 11-6:15 is leaving to do a hand off then close down the backroom setting the line and what not.

I have two BR AM TM's stay a full 8 on the Pfresh days using their last two hours to backstock pfresh.

I work during the day helping everyone. I'm never in TSC and I never stop. I backstock, pull, scan with my instocks team, pick FF's, backstock freezer, follow up on brand backstocking, yell at vendor's, purge, and hold people accountable. I get yelled at constantly by my ETL for "helping" too much. But if I didn't we wouldn't come clean. It really sucks how much Target management doesn't understand what's going on and how much work their really is.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope that's not a combo of your real name & location since this site isn't corp-sanctioned.
TMs have gotten heat for what they post on here so we try to stay anonymous.

B volume 4-5 GM trucks (2000-2300 pieces) and 3 Pfresh trucks per week.

All shifts are 8 hours.

We have 3 BRTMs come in at 6 (sometimes TMs from POG/Flow/SFS help for their first two hours). They pull the autofills and backstock the truck (or push the autofills on non truck days). That gets finished around 9 or 10 and then 1 TM works the bulk stuff while the rest spend a few frenzied hours backstocking to clear vehicles and pulling batches for everyone (usually POG pulls their own).

On Pfresh days we have a TM come in at 7 and he preps the coolers, leads the flow team, and takes care of all pulls and backstock.

We have a TM come in at 8, who will generally just jump in with everyone else trying to clear tubs and ending up filling them with TL and ETL batches that will sit on the line for hours.

CAFs drop from 12pm-5pm and everyone pulls them, then gets back to backstocking (I'm not sure why we don't have a dedicated puller and let everyone else backstock). Anyone asking for a batch to be pulled during this time is told no, and pretty much all walkie calls are ignored until the third try.

The closer comes in at 1:30 and jumps in pulling the CAFs and price change. He clears the line (but doesn't set pallets down because a TM comes in at 5:30 to do that), makes a bale, and focusses on backstocking so that there are enough vehicles for the morning autofills. The normal closer has a strikingly similar attitude to @Jackswastedlife99, so the LOD stays way out of his way.

So our backroom has three main problems:
1) We don't have a TL. The flow TL quit in the spring and the BRTL started running the unload and then started working with the wave, and eventually he was made the flow TL.
2) We don't have enough TMs. It is difficult to hire people in this area for a job that pays $9.50/hr.
3) Those problems above contribute to the bigger issue of never ever coming clean. And if they come close, then someone will bring pack a pallet of softlines repacks to be backstocked, or they will realize the remote stockrooms look like a bomb went off since nobody backstocks them on a regular basis.

Hey SFSFun, your ETL Log needs to step in and become BRTL until he finds a new person. Your idea of having a dedicated person pulling instead of everyone helping is right on the money. Everyone loves to pull, no one wants to backstock, at least this is my experience with team members. Then you get team members bumping into each other or walking all the way to the other side of the stockroom to pull a STAT batch when the person pulling the OFCE batch could have done it when he finished since he was just a valley over. Then people are wasting time looking for tubs to stack their pulls onto or walking across the stockroom to ask another team member, "hey you almost done with the wave" or "hey who's pulling the pets batch". Then you go and look at the pull times and it may have only been 50 minutes to pull all of the 1pm cafs but there was 6 people working on it. I've been sent to a lot of stores to help fix issues and this is a VERY common problem I always seem to encounter. What should happen is 1 person pulls cafs and is told hey this hours cafs should only take 50 minutes you need to finish, while everyone else is assigned to backstock areas and they don't leave those areas until everything is done.

We are a 4am unload 4-5 truck a week all around 2100 give or take a hundred cartons or so. 3 Pfresh trucks a week

Me plus three tms every truck day. When we don't have Pfresh or gm (thursdays) its me or flow tl and 2 brtms.
Monday-friday I have a mid come in at 6 or 8
1 closer.

I do the audit while the tms pull the autos.
If we don't have a gm truck, backroom pushes autos.

Then we backstock like crazy.

I max everyone out on availability every week and still have hours left over. Rarely 100% clean but we come damn close sometimes.

I need bodies so bad but nobody is applying. :(

never enough.. the other day we had 4 TMS, 1 PA to push a 1100 piece FDC Pfresh truck. I was told we cannot add or extend hours until 4th quarter, November 1st, wtf ??? if you want to sell more groceries you have to staff like a grocery store, dah. Just go to the nearest grocery store and just see the amount of staff strolling around not working hard.

@mikesocal
The day after the flow TL quit, the ETL-LOG held a huddle before the unload and announced that he would be the new flow TL... And that lasted about a week before he started pulling the BRTL to do it. His leadership style is very hands-off and there is no way he could be a BRTL where 90% of the work is pulling and backstocking with the TMs.

As far as having a dedicated puller, our veteran TMs would never go for it because they have been doing it for so long.

I am at a 6 am unload- ULV store. Currently we have two backroom team members. ( we do have a backroom day person who comes in at noon but just two tm for the morning, truck bs etc) One comes in at 6, does the audit and pulls any Fa's in the system. The second comes in at 630 and then both start the autofills. On truck days the autofills are pushed out to the floor and the flow team pushes them with the truck. After, the autofills are complete, we pull the price changes and do the sda. Then we move into backstocking ( unless we are given something else to do). Even though we are a "smaller" store there is no way two people can backstock all the bs from a 1800-2000 piece truck. The srtl flow will throw two team members back there to assist towards the end of the day...however, one of the tms he puts back there is lazy as hell. The other person, has other obligations so he has to leave by 2 pm. So, I say that to say all this on truck days ( three days a week) we pretty much have two tms. On non truck days. Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun. ONE person, pulls the autofills, price changes, does both the reg audit and sda and keeps up with the rsearch and Fa. We are also expected to help push the cafs ( on non truck days since the flow team is not there) as well backstock the frozen and dairy sections from the grocery truck ( we get two a week). We are also expected to keep up with the bs that comes back fro the pulls and salesplanners, pog team etc etc. Usually, we are only scheduled for a 5-5.5 hour shift on non truck days Recently, I was scheduled a 4 hour shift...I was all by myself back there the autofills were 7. 5 hours. I had to go to the lod and ask...do you want me to stay? I was then told...well I guess you can. Geeze...I shouldn't had asked and just walked out and left the pulls not done.( Oh, the 7.5 hour pulls..I got them done one in 5 hr 20 min..not a word was said by the lod when I told him that )..to say we struggle is an understatement.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that SFSFun. Unfortunately the ETL hands off style of managing is pretty rampant throughout Target and I have a feeling that's what they preach at business college when they all first start. A good ETL would realize that he needs to step in and backstock or pull in situations where they are missing any other kind of leadership in the backroom rather than sit at TSC or wander around at the front lanes hoping everything is running smoothly back there. I hear you on seasoned TM's not liking change I've been through many difficult conversations with TM's not wanting to change up their routines and thinking they can do what they want.

My store usually consists of 4-5 BRTMs coming in at 4AM with us dealing with anywhere from 1200-2200 piece trucks with most of the TMs leaving around 9-10:30AM. On the days I don't have to sleep immediately post-work to get to community college classes at night on time I'm usually there until 12:30-1PM. I'm usually the latest 4AM BRTM there (to which my TL always thanks me for staying so late) and when it usually falls down to just me we don't ever 100% the backstock, just come close.

My boss usually has me come in with the truck setup to get the audit done because it'll be 100-200 items scanned these days so I'll usually get that done and then start on autofills.

We usually do come clean with the truck backstock (or at least the non-repack stuff as that gets worked out of baskets after Flow has finished with the rest) and then get stuck cleaning up all the crap that Backroom from the previous night leaves, be it stuff for price change, excess trash, backstock that didn't get done. Some days this can be a flat and a couple baskets, while other days it'll involve almost the entire wall being packed with backstock that somehow they didn't get done.

Last edited:
As a 730a ulv, I had 2 tms all day. You can reference my previous posts as to how we got it done.

My Etl and Stl were also very hands off. On a day I had called out when my mother got very ill, they tried to run the the process. They failed badly.

I found a new job and left shortly after I realized my ETL was not a supportive leader and the Stl was not going to support me. Over a decade down the drain, but it was the right call.

O/N A+ store. We usually have around 4-5 BRTMs every night, plus any flow who are cross trained to back stock. They usually are first in and one of the last to leave (Other than cardboard and TLs), a good 10+ hour shift most nights.

Usually we try to get audits done, though with the recent payroll cuts, it's pretty much impossible to catch up until we have a truck cancelled or something.

That is no fun at all. I'm ETL LOG a my store and I currently have no BRTL. It is tough, that is for sure. I have a lot more routine duties to take care of now that she is out - but I have a pretty strong team and I leverage them to help me out. In return, I recognize them, buy them lunch when they're really rocking it and work alongside them all the time - that goes for all of LOG (POG, Pricing, BR, Flow, Instocks). At the end of the day, I'm responsible for it all and it still has to get done.

Today is a great example. Truck was larger than normal and we had some call outs - we are usually bare bones anyway for staffing so since the whole team left at 830 me and another LOD worked the repacks in the store until they were done. Add on top of that helping to backstock and pull autofills before that.

At our store we have 3 TMs on truck days, but usually one leaves at 8am. Then it is just myself and one other person left to officially be the ones in charge of backstocking a truck that is on average 2100 pieces. We then have 1-2 people come in at 8, and they take care of researches/flexibles/etc and then will backstock if they have time.

Usually around 10 the instocks people finish their stuff so they come back to help with pulls/backstock and occasionally a flow tm comes back to help backstock off the pushes are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back