Archived How much is too much calling out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm a cart attendant, a few months past my 90 days (I started in May). I've noticed that, since about November, i've called out at least once a month. November was a bad month for me; my brother's divorce meant I was spending great deals of "quality time" with my nephew and one of my best friends passed away, not to mention contracting a horrible stomach virus from poor sickness prevention habits (nothing tests your immune system like cart attending for the first time). I've never held a "real" job prior to my being hired in May. In December and January, I called out once each month.

I'm sure a topic has been brought up about this before, but I can't find it; forgive me if i'm being a redundant noob. How much calling out is too much?

But when you get your review, it will hurt you due to attendance.
When I get it? As in I get another one after my 90 days? I've already received my review for then.
EDIT: I never call out any later than one or two hours prior to my shift. EVER.

Last edited:
It varies store to store. TM to TM. Some stores are hard set for TMs to show up no matter what. Some can be very lax. And some TMs get preferential treatment.

I have known TMs that called out numerous times over being sick or having to take care of their kids, and nothing done. Then I had one store that practiced 3 call outs w/o a doctor's note in a 90 day period gets a coaching. Another 2-3 gets you written up. Anymore is a termination.

If you are indeed sick, try to get a doctor's note. But I would talk to your STL, HR, or ETL-GE, as they might be understanding to your situation.

It varies store to store. TM to TM. Some stores are hard set for TMs to show up no matter what. Some can be very lax. And some TMs get preferential treatment.

I have known TMs that called out numerous times over being sick or having to take care of their kids, and nothing done. Then I had one store that practiced 3 call outs w/o a doctor's note in a 90 day period gets a coaching. Another 2-3 gets you written up. Anymore is a termination.

If you are indeed sick, try to get a doctor's note. But I would talk to your STL, HR, or ETL-GE, as they might be understanding to your situation.

I wish my store had this doctors note policy. Instead of people calling out multiple times throughout the week but work a day or two in the middle and posting stuff on facebook or being seen in the store days of the callout.

I wish my store had this doctors note policy. Instead of people calling out multiple times throughout the week but work a day or two in the middle and posting stuff on facebook or being seen in the store days of the callout.

That's the dumbest ****ing thing you can do. Unless you're sick and picking up some medicine or for another family member.

A couple of my stores were big on TM appearance. Basically, if the TM looked like hell from being sick, they don't want them at the store. Especially with something contagious, like the flu or bad cold, and end up getting a lot more TMs sick.

I used to get sinus infections on a monthly basis, and work through my shifts all the time. But once I started having runny noses, bad headaches, or sore throats, then they told me I had the option of going home or calling in.

If you have to ask, then there's your answer.

once a month isn't that bad.

Once you're past your initial 90 days, you have a lot more room to make mistakes, they can't terminate you based on Call-Ins until they first issue a counseling and a final warning.

It also depends on how hard a worker you are when you are there.
Call out once a month and bust your ass when you're at work, people are bound to forgive.
Do the same calling out and sluff off when you get to work or even do just and average job and those call outs (although not awful) will stand out.

once a month isn't that bad.

Once you're past your initial 90 days, you have a lot more room to make mistakes, they can't terminate you based on Call-Ins until they first issue a counseling and a final warning.

Yeah, not too bad..... But SO annoying to those of us with better attendance who always have to cover you!!! Everyone has rough months, just start paying closer attention to your call out number from here out and you'll be doing great!

As a cart attendant I hate it when a fellow cart attendant calls out. All it does to me is make my job harder as now I gotta make up for the no show cart attendant. If you do have to call out, keep it minimal. I've been at Target for a year and a half now and had to call out only twice.

i'd say 3 or so times a week is acceptable, 4 to 5 times and it's obviously not your fault but you need to start being more lucky so that the universe isn't holding you down unjustly, 6 call ins a week and you need to start making better preparations, and 7 times a week results in a verbal coaching...but it's at the teamleaders discretion if the team member is coached or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'd say 3 or so times a week is acceptable, 4 to 5 times and it's obviously not your fault but you need to start being more lucky so that the universe isn't holding you down unjustly, 6 call ins a week and you need to start making better preparations, and 7 times a week results in a verbal coaching...but it's at the teamleaders discretion if the team member is coached or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back