Archived How much of your perspective changed when you got promoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS190

APTL
This question is specifically for Team Leaders and up who originally started at Target as base level team members.

When I was hardlines I would question and argue with almost everything TL's and ETL's did. "We aren't appreciated enough" "We don't get paid enough." "They're just dumping their workload on us"

What I'm not saying is that everything complained about is invalid. But I will say that while I don't personally oversee TM's, working with my peers (and sitting in the ETL meetings) I see where a lot of the decisions come from and understand it better.

This question is specifically for Team Leaders and up who originally started at Target as base level team members.

When I was hardlines I would question and argue with almost everything TL's and ETL's did. "We aren't appreciated enough" "We don't get paid enough." "They're just dumping their workload on us"

What I'm not saying is that everything complained about is invalid. But I will say that while I don't personally oversee TM's, working with my peers (and sitting in the ETL meetings) I see where a lot of the decisions come from and understand it better.

Sounds like your store management has an opportunity to improve it's communication. Had they gone the extra step of actually explaining the rationale for decisions or changes, it likely would have had a lot more TMs on board, and the changes could have been carried out more efficiently. Bottom line, more cost effective for the store in the long run.

Sounds like your store management has an opportunity to improve it's communication. Had they gone the extra step of actually explaining the rationale for decisions or changes, it likely would have had a lot more TMs on board, and the changes could have been carried out more efficiently. Bottom line, more cost effective for the store in the long run.
The reality is depending on what they dump on you we aren't appreciated or paid enough. When my tl isn't there and they expect me to run the team without actually making it defined-they don't pay me enough. Nor an I being developed despite the carrot dangle constantly. And when I choose to run the team anyway I am not appreciated with even a thanks.

I know there's a different perspective from the top side, I've been a manager, but it doesn't negate communicating with your team when they question your seemingly random requirements.

I was never a TL, but you still get to experience the other side of the coin as a GSA. I remember as a cashier just absolutely deflating when the GSA sent me to one of the front check lanes, or that feeling when you're about to hit your third hour and you haven't had your first 15 just thinking... "C'mon man! I'm tired here! Get me off this register for the love of all that is holy!" Or that feeling when you get pulled away from the Service Desk to hop on a lane.

But after spending some time as a GSA, my perspective definitely changed. You can't be everywhere at once, and there will be times where you have to let the break schedule slip a little bit to avoid having to have backup for too long. And there are times where you need to give someone at the front-most checklanes a break, even though you know the cashier might not like you for it.

I began to understand who really decides payroll when I became TL as well as the pressure that gets placed on you from those above you. Everyone is doing what someone above them is telling them to do. TMs sometimes don't understand that and I get it but some just complain about everything as if you have control of it and want to make their lives miserable.

"What's a smart huddle?"
"It's when people can't complete their workload and it gets dumped on others"

Don't let your boss hear you give that explanation to a new TM. Apparently it's too brash and not at all funny.
Amending "Don't worry some TL is getting chewed out later for it" to the end apparently isn't acceptable either.

Most of my TMs understand why things are done the way they are because i answer then directly and honestly about stuff when they ask, doesn't mean they don't complain they just understand that there is only so much a TL can do for you.

I understood long long ago as a TM that the BS started at the top.

The main thing was when my TL straight up tells me during the review, "hey I originally gave you this score and when I turned it in the ETL said to rewrite it with a lower grade." From that point on I knew how little control TLs really had.

Now as a TL I try to be as transparent as possible with the long term TMs: "Why do we only have XYZ hours this week?" "Well you see the store as a whole only has XYZ hours so our department got cut by X hours otherwise there would be 0 hardlines or softlines people scheduled, and you would be covering them while still being required to do the same work."

I began to understand who really decides payroll when I became TL as well as the pressure that gets placed on you from those above you. Everyone is doing what someone above them is telling them to do. TMs sometimes don't understand that and I get it but some just complain about everything as if you have control of it and want to make their lives miserable.
How many layers between tm and whoever decides the fundamentals?

I understood long long ago as a TM that the BS started at the top.

The main thing was when my TL straight up tells me during the review, "hey I originally gave you this score and when I turned it in the ETL said to rewrite it with a lower grade." From that point on I knew how little control TLs really had.

Now as a TL I try to be as transparent as possible with the long term TMs: "Why do we only have XYZ hours this week?" "Well you see the store as a whole only has XYZ hours so our department got cut by X hours otherwise there would be 0 hardlines or softlines people scheduled, and you would be covering them while still being required to do the same work."

QFT

I try to be the same way with my team, and I know they appreciate it but I don't think everyone else in leadership at my store does.
I think honest, transparent communication goes further in earning respect and engagement from my team than sugar coating everything.

i get a lot more of the why. also a lot of the frustration of the leadership. i have a lot of termed friends from time as a team member. great people, but horrible team members.

some of the tl's and etl's are just as incompetent/bad as i thought. they still laugh at how bad some of them were.

one thing that pissed me off was someone yelling at me daily to do something minor until i made sure it was done when i was there. if i do that to someone, i'll make them know why i'm harping on it and just not hearing myself talk.

My view personally is to listen to my teams complaints and then respond accordingly. I always try to communicate why I think Target is making this move and why it's important. Also I tell my team lets do what so and so says be it DTL, group leader or target and if we don't think it'll work out we can modify it. I think the key to most TM complaints is that they do not understand the whys and how it affects the business.

Edit. I meant to put we would do what the Leader said for a few weeks and give it an honest try.

My perspective didn't change all that much when I became a team lead... The only real difference that I've noticed is how much more jaded and exhausted I am all the time. I hear team member complaints all the time about "how big pulls are" or "how messy RTW is" and (although I never share this thought) the only thing that runs through my mind is "I wish worrying about how fast I need to fold tables was the epitome of my position" and it's true. Even though we're still hourly I feel like the constant stress and pressure doesn't get turned off when we punch out, because we'll still have to pick it right back up where we left off when we come back the next day. There isn't another team member in our absence for us to share our work with, the majority of it is longer-term and on our shoulders, and we need to come back to it the next day.

I stepped up to TL and the amount of pressure that's placed on me increased exponentially. Complain about your ETL's? Imagine doing half their workload for them, while also trying to spend enough time working on the floor to lead your team by doing rather than telling. Plus your own workloads that somehow have to get crammed into the non-existant offstage time that we need. Tell me again to spread my entire team way too thin because stray and pulls are so backed up, but I'm glad you have time to decorate the TMSC and spend take a 2 hour "15" every morning to sip coffee and gossip about team members.

Don't take this the wrong way; I really do like my job most days... but that doesn't change the fact that our roles are set up with some pretty far-fetched expectations considering we only make a few dollars more per hour than a bank teller.

Last edited:
I have to agree with PaidToSmile on this, I stepped up as TL late last year and I do find myself just exhausted all the time as well. I get a sigh of relief when I have a reliable team and I have days where everything is just on my shoulders. Especially now with slashed hours, I find myself running around the store non-stop. Some days I am by myself as an opener until a closer comes in at 4.

The workload now is just insane and it feels impossible to do. Certain ETLs help me with cafs and some just sit on their asses with their botched up decorations for TSMC and the breakroom. Whenever the STL is on duty, or is just around, I am just glad that she even helps me out with pushing cafs. Most of the time, I am expected to do it all. Cafs, go backs, running up front for guests first and taking guest calls.

I like my jobs most days as well, but some days are just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back