Archived How to change the Tobacco User status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deli Ninja

Formerly Softlines Ninja (Now in Deli Flavor)!
It's the weekend and I want to take care of this ASAP... but Target help can't be contacted until Monday after 9 central.

How do I change my status on file from Tobacco User to non-user? The "Long Term Disability" line has me paying Target because they assume everybody uses tobacco.

My statement shows the same thing. I'm not even enrolled in anything and I'm still getting charged. What the hell, Target?!

I think you're supposed to be able to do it by phone or online.
Sorry I don't have either of those.

I think that had to be changed during open enrollment. Not sure if you can change it during the year because I don't have Target insurance.

My statement shows the same thing. I'm not even enrolled in anything and I'm still getting charged. What the hell, Target?!

Are you saying you don't have Target health insurance but they still charge you for being a smoker????

Is that even legal?

The smoker charge is under "Long Term Disability" as in disability insurance. The only charge on the entire list of insurance things, etc. is for being a smoker... under long term disability.

Also, thanks HLM. I'll just call on Monday and have it sorted out.

I also got the tobacco charge, the only charge on my paperwork I received. I wasn't enrolling in Target insurance so I didn't think I needed to do anything. Guess I was wrong.

How easy is it to get this changed? The charge is so small per pay period I'm debating if it's even worth the hassle of calling and fighting to get removed.

Let's say the charge is $0.40. If it goes on for 12 months and we get paid 2x a month, that adds up to... $9.60 for the year. From an individual perspective, that's not a lot. Maybe enough for 2 lunches. But from Target's perspective, how many TMs aren't paying attention to the charge? To me, it's worth the hassle just to give Target the finger and you can be sure that I'll be informing people I work with, too.

The smoker charge is under "Long Term Disability" as in disability insurance. The only charge on the entire list of insurance things, etc. is for being a smoker... under long term disability.

This is what I got, too. My ETL-HR said it happened to someone else at my store and that it was probably a mistake.

Let's say the charge is $0.40. If it goes on for 12 months and we get paid 2x a month, that adds up to... $9.60 for the year. From an individual perspective, that's not a lot. Maybe enough for 2 lunches. But from Target's perspective, how many TMs aren't paying attention to the charge? To me, it's worth the hassle just to give Target the finger and you can be sure that I'll be informing people I work with, too.

This. It's not a lot of money, but it's the principle of it.

A lot of team members at Target work paycheck to paycheck so 9.60 can make a difference for a lot of people. To some people, it's not a lot of money. To others, it's being able to buy enough gas to get to work or get a couple of lunches. In my opinion, I think it's illegal for Target to be able to classify you as a smoker. I don't give a crap if it's retail or it's cutthroat or whatever. You are a person and you should be treated like a person, not a number, figure, or numeric value. And another thing, why doesn't Target force you to say if you are a drunk or not? And no, I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs and I'm not an angel but I also don't think people should be charged an arm and a leg for lifestyle choices. Do I think addiction and substance abuse are bad? Yes, but those things are health problems in my opinion.

I was more worried about waiting on hold for a hour and being told nothing could be done. That to me wasn't worth my time.

However made the call earlier and it actually was a easy change once you get through prompts. Just tell them there's a error on your coverage.

I was more worried about waiting on hold for a hour and being told nothing could be done. That to me wasn't worth my time.

However made the call earlier and it actually was a easy change once you get through prompts. Just tell them there's a error on your coverage.
Did you talk to the disability people or go through the open enrollment option?

Deadline for any changes is march 28. @Softlines Ninja , I called the benefits line again, just to make sure the happened. Thank you! Spot was trying to be sneaky on that one for some extra $$$.
Here is what you do when you call the benefits line, say open enrollment, wait a few minutes & for a rep. Then, tell you are a non smoker under long term disability & you are all set.
Everyone needs to call them, even if you have no insurance.

Target being allowed to pick if you smoke or don't smoke and then use it against you against your will is highly illegal in my opinion. Just another way to screw over us minions and peasants. Funny how Target doesn't want to charge you if you are a drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back