How to meet the time deadlines in fulfillment?

I am new to Target. I have been at the store for about 2 months now. I am working in fulfillment and am currently struggling with picking, prepping, and stowing carts on time for the online pick-up orders. It usually takes me the entire time limit just to pick the items and I end up scrambling to bag and stow the items in the end. A lot of people have been helping me bag and stow the items, and I feel bad. I feel like people are carrying me through the day sometimes.

I printed out a map of the store and I carry it around with me on a clipboard, which reduces my anxiety a bit, but I still need more visual aids and help. I need a game plan and a strategy I can implement to get the job done successfully.

I walked around the entire store one day and took pictures of every single aisle marker with the number and names of the items there, but I was told I can’t do that anymore. (I didn’t know it wasn’t ok at the time). I still am going to use what pictures I have to write a master list of the entire store that briefly describes the categories of the items on each aisle so I can also answer the questions of people who ask me where stuff is by looking at the papers on the clipboard I carry with me.

Once I write my master list I think I will have more confidence and just some peace of mind knowing I have another written resource with me.

I am curious if there has been anyone else in fulfillment who has struggled with time management in the beginning, but slowly learned how to manage it over time. How did they overcome their problems they had with time management in the past and what tools did they use to succeed?

Sorry for the long post. I just really want to do well at my job. I want to learn and grow every day, become a better person just by doing my best, and not let adversity destroy me, but rather change me. (Sorry that was a bit dramatic, but there is someone at work who puts me down, so that’s why I said that.)

I hope I can do well at my job, and leave a better and stronger person in the end.

I am new to Target. I have been at the store for about 2 months now. I am working in fulfillment and am currently struggling with picking, prepping, and stowing carts on time for the online pick-up orders. It usually takes me the entire time limit just to pick the items and I end up scrambling to bag and stow the items in the end. A lot of people have been helping me bag and stow the items, and I feel bad. I feel like people are carrying me through the day sometimes.

I printed out a map of the store and I carry it around with me on a clipboard, which reduces my anxiety a bit, but I still need more visual aids and help. I need a game plan and a strategy I can implement to get the job done successfully.

I walked around the entire store one day and took pictures of every single aisle marker with the number and names of the items there, but I was told I can’t do that anymore. (I didn’t know it wasn’t ok at the time). I still am going to use what pictures I have to write a master list of the entire store that briefly describes the categories of the items on each aisle so I can also answer the questions of people who ask me where stuff is by looking at the papers on the clipboard I carry with me.

Once I write my master list I think I will have more confidence and just some peace of mind knowing I have another written resource with me.

I am curious if there has been anyone else in fulfillment who has struggled with time management in the beginning, but slowly learned how to manage it over time. How did they overcome their problems they had with time management in the past and what tools did they use to succeed?

Sorry for the long post. I just really want to do well at my job. I want to learn and grow every day, become a better person just by doing my best, and not let adversity destroy me, but rather change me. (Sorry that was a bit dramatic, but there is someone at work who puts me down, so that’s why I said that.)

I hope I can do well at my job, and leave a better and stronger person in the end.
I don't think pictures of aisle numbers is going to help. You're not going to have time to reference that. Maybe a map with the letter blocks, but I don't recommend anything more detailed than that. Before/after your shift, take a slow stroll around the store. Don't try to memorize every specific kind of thing; generalize it a bit: electronics, stationery, sporting goods, toys, bed, bath, home décor, etc. If you can get to the right general area, then you can use the aisle numbers. Also, they usually go alphabetically around the store, so if you're in E and need G, it's probably just a couple sections over.

I know the default pathing isn't always ideal, but keep to that until you learn the store, or you'll waste more time skipping around. Also, the task list has another tab with a map of the store and all the stops you need to make. As you get better, you'll know to check certain things while you're on one side of the store so you don't have to double back at the end.

Do you know how to read a POG? How are you doing with the VMGs in style?

Lastly, move from item to item quickly. I know it sounds stupid, but it can mean an extra couple minutes at the end of a batch if you can shave it off while walking around the store.

You're still new. Some of it will just take time. You'll get the hang of it. Actually wanting to improve is a big part of it. 👍

My guess is that you are spending a lot of time looking for each item. For GM, you should be able to pick everything without pictures. In other words, by reading the full pog location. It takes a little while to master, but you will become faster once you rely on locations rather than looking for the correct item.

Your making it too complicated. You need to learn how to read the locations and go off that and only use the pictures when absolutely necessary. There isn't much to it unfortunately just got to increase your pace. If your anxiety is that bad that you can't do the task in time you should probably try and transfer to a different department and you can always help pick opus when they need backup. I'm not trying to be rude but I just don't think fulfillment is the right job for you if you are struggling after 2 months.

First and foremost, learn to read a schematic - especially how to know which section a POG starts in. Ask if you can do a cart of reshop in beauty, chemicals, and grocery and use the myDevice to locate every single item. That will help you to learn the store. Learn the RFID gun for locating softlines. Walk your store so you can see what is new on endcaps and towers. Use your 3 tier wisely to help facilitate put and stow. I put food only in the top tier to avoid contamination. Eggs and meat go on the bottom when doing grocery carts for the same reason. Try to put the barcodes toward the top.

My guess is that you are spending a lot of time looking for each item. For GM, you should be able to pick everything without pictures. In other words, by reading the full pog location. It takes a little while to master, but you will become faster once you rely on locations rather than looking for the correct item.
Can't tell you how many new Fulfillment TMs I've said this to. They start at the end of an aisle in the first section, not noticing that some aisles have multiple POGs. Those tiny little pictures on the zebra are helpful, but not always to the degree some TMs think they are. So many products can look so similar and the pictures don't always keep up when manufacturers change the packaging.
Pay attention to the POG location and learn how to read shelf labels. It takes half a second or less once you get proficient at it and you can put your hand on exactly the right product the first time. In the Cosmetics aisles, where the sections are very small and so there are a lot of them, just take a peek at a random shelf label to figure out if you're close to where you need to be. Navigate from there. Otherwise, it's super easy and super quick to locate product using the POG location.
Also, I've been told that Fulfillment TMs have the option of using the back room location or the floor location. You can often get several products on your list out of the back room, saving steps in a department by going down one or two back room aisles. (Bonus benefit is that it saves another TM from having to restock the floor location.)

Also, I've been told that Fulfillment TMs have the option of using the back room location or the floor location. You can often get several products on your list out of the back room, saving steps in a department by going down one or two back room aisles. (Bonus benefit is that it saves another TM from having to restock the floor location.)
If the item you need is located in the backroom, the app will send you there before the salesfloor.

I think you're getting in your own way, OP. You remind me of that student who blankets entire pages of the textbook in highlighter or forgets to absorb the lecture material in their frenzy to copy every mark on the board and transcribe the professor's every "um" and "uh." Unless you have some condition that severely impairs memory, navigation, spatial awareness, etc., you just need to do your job and keep your mind present for it. Your brain will integrate all the information literally as you sleep.

Agree with what everyone else has said. How I learnt the store is top-down. First I learnt the general location each department is in. You've got to know if you're going to need a pencil, where is stationary? This is the most important imo. After that, learn how to read the POGs. What does the # in the parentheses mean? What if it says (99) or (0)? What about (98)? Sometimes, it will not be consistent, but partner with your TL and find out! Finally, only with experience and exposure will you be able to go faster. If you're paying attention, you'll slowly but surely start remembering where specific types of items, such as toothbrushes, paper towels, etc are, and you'll be able to use the myDevice to help you. For example, it'll ask for some protein powder, and I'll immediately start walking towards A-block because I already know it'll be there. If I don't remember the specific aisle number, I will consult the myDevice. I'm sure next thing you know, you'll be crushing it.

Oh yeah finally if you're *really* stuck, use that skip item button. Don't spend 30 minutes trying to find an eraser, your TL ought to be helping you with those INFs

Last edited:
Lastly, move from item to item quickly. I know it sounds stupid, but it can mean an extra couple minutes at the end of a batch if you can shave it off while walking around the store.
So much this. If we're spending just 2 seconds at each one, like to zone or to move the cart more than we needed to, that's more than a minute right there.

Like several have said, reading locations is key. Unless you already know exactly where the item is, it will be faster to count sections as you're going down the aisle.

After just a couple days of focusing on navigating by shelf location, you're gonna be more than 10 units per hour faster.

Your making it too complicated. You need to learn how to read the locations and go off that and only use the pictures when absolutely necessary. There isn't much to it unfortunately just got to increase your pace. If your anxiety is that bad that you can't do the task in time you should probably try and transfer to a different department and you can always help pick opus when they need backup. I'm not trying to be rude but I just don't think fulfillment is the right job for you if you are struggling after 2 months.
Maybe not cut out for it, but I think more likely they just weren't trained and need a new perspective and good practice. Almost anybody with a pulse can pick 80 uph.

1) Understand your store layout. General areas as said above.

2) Learn to read the schematic. This is the quickest way to increase efficiency. It should take you no time to grab an item from G3 (4) 1-3-5. Learning this should be priority #1 for you.

3) Understand your backroom locations. This will eliminate time spent roaming the back for items. Also when an item can’t be found and may be unlocated in the back you’ll know where to check to try to protect INF.

4) Continue to ask questions

Back