Archived How would I go about becoming a TPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie

lydianmodeee
Any tips on how to get in if all you have done is salesfloor? What are they looking for? How hard is it to get in?

It really depends on your work ethic and how they perceive you. I know I require my TPS' to be both professional and confident. I shouldn't have to worry about them escalating a situation or that they might break confidentiality and get themselves termed. You should also be ready to do the scut work and assist in apprehensions should the situation arise.

I'd talk to your AP-TL/ETL-AP and see if they need a TPS or are willing to help you get into the role. It can be hard to get into but there may be an opportunity for you, you never know.

One of our TPS guys went from Cashier to Hardlines to TPS and is becoming a TL this summer. It could happen.

Thanks. I feel like in the situation of an app, the thief would start laughing in my face because of my appearance. I'm like the least intimidating looking person ever. Could that be a potential deterrent from getting in?

We look for trustworthy people who aren't too close with other team members. People who can handle constant routines and have a high sense of integrity are a plus when it comes to AP.

Looking intimidating helps, but it's all about the confidence. Most people won't know what you can or cannot do and during apprehensions, it's mostly numbers that matter. If they fight, more fun for you.

You need to be very driven and able to work independently in order to achieve results. I love it because the only person I am held accountable to is my ETL. While I still try to help out with daily store tasks and service, for the most part I really am in control of my day. No random sales floor projects, no zoning, no backups, no worrying about REDs... and I'm never really tied down to an area. It was a nice change of pace from being GSA for 2 years.

Also, my schedule is pretty flexible. If I'm scheduled 12-8:30 on a Saturday, for instance, I can choose at the last minute to bump that up and work 10-6:30 or come in late and work 2-10:30, based on theft trends. As long as we're not working over 40 and getting recoveries, my ETL doesn't care when we work and basically lets us write our own schedules. Of course, that's my situation and isn't necessarily the same store to store.

Some days you'll be flying high on adrenaline and other days you'll be bored out of your mind. Also, be ready for a lot of mid and closing shifts. I'm rarely in the store before 10:00.

But yeah, talk to the ETL-AP or APTL and gauge what the need is in your store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back