Archived HR Team Member Interview: What to Expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetlady101

Beauty TM Trainer
Hi all,

I'm interviewing for the hr team member position soon and I was just wondering, what should I expect? Anything in particular I should prepare for? Thanks in advance!

If you get the job, after 6 months of experience apply everywhere else (literally every other company, in the country). As their HR TM equivalents are probably compensated much better.

Only advice I have for new HR TMs. (I have no experience as an HR TM)

Interview shouldn’t be too hard. Just stay calm and make sure you have an example for each of your answers. Like the above stated, the pay for HR tm is very low. Anywhere else you get paid a lot more. Depending on your store be prepared to do a lot of work for little recognition and get blamed for a lot of minor mistakes and oversights in communication. That just comes with the territory so I hope you have thick skin. Be prepared to work independently and know how to balance your workload. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What everyone else said. Low crappy pay, Lots of work. Hope you have a nice HR leader.

You'll spend a lot of time in the office, using computers and answering calls from guests, team members, etc, so... in the interview, talk about your interpersonal and communication skills. Highlight your ability to organize and disseminate information. Things like that. The interview will have questions like, "Tell me about a time when you challenged your manager, and what was the result?" Situational-type questions like that. Your answer for each question should include:

1. Your initial plan for the situation
2. Your implementation of that plan (good or bad)
3. The results

Try to talk about how even when your initial plan failed in the situation, you were able to adapt to the circumstances and come to a workable, effective solution to the problem.

Stuff like that.

If you get the job, after 6 months of experience apply everywhere else (literally every other company, in the country). As their HR TM equivalents are probably compensated much better.

So OP, you can ignore this guy/girl, completely. The poster has no idea what they are talking about. The poster has no hr experience. The only advise they gave you is that you “probably” will get paid more at some fictional company.

Now,
To succeed at any interview, be your self, your good self. Make eye contact. Be factual. Think I got this, I deserve this.
At last, ask questions of the interviewer when you are given the chance to do so, even if you are not, say , I have a few questions. Ask questions about what the job entails, how many others have the same position as you, also ask a little about the company as well.

For HR, answer in a way that shows your ability to organize and prioritize tasks. Show that you are detailed oriented, and dont mind sitting on your butt for long periods of time. Speak in manner that is clear and concise, and your ability to scold people ,from to time. Like children.

So OP, you can ignore this guy/girl, completely. The poster has no idea what they are talking about. The poster has no hr experience. The only advise they gave you is that you “probably” will get paid more at some fictional company.

Now,
To succeed at any interview, be your self, your good self. Make eye contact. Be factual. Think I got this, I deserve this.
At last, ask questions of the interviewer when you are given the chance to do so, even if you are not, say , I have a few questions. Ask questions about what the job entails, how many others have the same position as you, also ask a little about the company as well.

For HR, answer in a way that shows your ability to organize and prioritize tasks. Show that you are detailed oriented, and dont mind sitting on your butt for long periods of time. Speak in manner that is clear and concise, and your ability to scold people ,from to time. Like children.

Thank you! Their comment threw me off, but I ignored it. I'm pretty good at interviewing, but I've never applied for an hr position before so I don't really know what to expect. Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm also going to speak on my past work experience and how it relates to the position.

You'll spend a lot of time in the office, using computers and answering calls from guests, team members, etc, so... in the interview, talk about your interpersonal and communication skills. Highlight your ability to organize and disseminate information. Things like that. The interview will have questions like, "Tell me about a time when you challenged your manager, and what was the result?" Situational-type questions like that. Your answer for each question should include:

1. Your initial plan for the situation
2. Your implementation of that plan (good or bad)
3. The results

Try to talk about how even when your initial plan failed in the situation, you were able to adapt to the circumstances and come to a workable, effective solution to the problem.

Stuff like that.

Thank you. I try to follow the STAR method when I interview, which is basically the same as your three steps (Situation, Task, Action, Results).

People keep bringing up pay but it's not all bad.

The three best things about hr in no order are

A) a set schedule

B) most consistent hours in the store after AP and receiver.

C) mentally exhausting but physically it's pretty simple compared to hardlines

Two things to bring up are your ability to multi task, keep things confidential, and support other team members.

Like how an AP interview you shouldn't say how you want to catch bad guys. You shouldn't talk about only helping the team in an HR interview. You should also speak to supporting the lod and other leaders, maintain a clean area, organizing volunteer events etc.

I continued on the topic of pay because my ETL HR told me that any new HR team members brought on would not get the pay incentive, company is really focusing on FACE work centers. This was after her meeting with the HR BP. I’ve been to other stores where the HR team member hours have been slashed to about only 10 hours and the ETL HR handles the majority of the workload. Sorry if I sounded like a negative Nancy for continuing the topic!

Hopefully that’s not the case for your store in the future. Everyone has pretty much covered what you need for the interview. Just be yourself and if you’re good at interviewing you should be good.

HR is all about routines and it’s very independent. If you’re not good at those things you will constantly be backed up in your workload. Be ready to stay positive even if at times you will run into rude ETL’s and team members. It’s rewarding and you will get to know most people in your store. Always communicate everything and send lots of emails. If you excel in HR it’s a good stepping stone to move up in the company. Good luck!

Make it clear that you can accomplish major projects with constant (and I do mean constant) interruptions and be able to give examples.
Think of examples where you able to fix a major project on the fly when everything went pearwise (dealing with a major storm, power outage, sudden loss of staff, etc) and how you were able to fix it.
Be able to show how you are detail orientated and precise even when you are under a lot of stress (and have constant interruptions).
Be able to give examples of how you keep good records and are organized to a fault in your own life and job.

While it is true that a lot of other employers pay more, many job postings that I have seen for HR Assistants want at least 1 or 2 years of similar/related experience. Only lasting 6 months before seeking another job would most likely raise a red flag during resume screening.

@targetlady101 , a lot of Break Room TMs gave good advice here. I have quoted some parts of their posts to highlight very important skills to succeeding in HR:

Be prepared to work independently and know how to balance your workload.

For HR, answer in a way that shows your ability to organize and prioritize tasks.

things to bring up are your ability to multi task, keep things confidential, and support other team members.

You shouldn't talk about only helping the team in an HR interview. You should also speak to supporting the lod and other leaders, maintain a clean area, organizing volunteer events etc.

Make it clear that you can accomplish major projects with constant (and I do mean constant) interruptions and be able to give examples.

Letting your interviewer know that you have these skills can improve your chances of landing the position.

Also, remember to be confident. Make eye contact and smile. Believe in what you are saying. If you are unsure in what you say, it makes the interviewer feel the same way. Make them believe that you are a good fit in HR.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi Everyone,

The interview went well. I followed all of your advice. I find out if I got the position this week. The ETL HR commented on how great I am at interviewing and that he can see me in a TL role and beyond.
Sending good vibes your way. HR tm is a good stepping stone to do bigger and better things with the company. If you move up afterwards the HR will always stay with you. Good luck!

Bummer! Movin' on up, though, so that's something.

Hi everyone, so I didn't get the position, but I got moved to Beauty and put on the TL bench. Not quite what i expected, but I'm still happy about it.

Sounds like a successful interview.

My store had a tm turned down for sltl but put on bench. She starts at her new store next week. Sometimes those "failed interviews" are setting you up for the future.

I am sorry you didn't get the HR position but it sounds like your interview went great if you got benched. A lot of times Target has Team Members already selected for certain positions but they still interview everyone who applies. Our Beauty Team Members seem to enjoy the position.

How long do people normally wait on the Bench just wondering?

It really depends on how fast a position opens up. At my store they typically don't even interview people unless they know for certain a position in the store is opening. I have been on the bench for 2 months now and I believe I will be on it for at least a few more months. I only even got interviewed because a position was opening but they gave it to the other person they interviewed instead. At my store I have only seen team lead interviews done when a team lead puts in their two weeks, or is fired. So basically no waiting here.

Anywhere from 1 week to multiple years. I kid you not. Depends on if your district or store is over head count and how long it takes for a position to open up.

Stores have what's called a succession plan. Ideally 2 on the bench ready should a team lead move on, promote or transfer and atleast 2 in the pipeline being prepped to go on the bench.

This number can be really fluid depending on circumstances at your store.

In theory a store shouldn't panic when a tl leaves. People should be shifted to keep the business running.

I am sorry you didn't get the HR position but it sounds like your interview went great if you got benched. A lot of times Target has Team Members already selected for certain positions but they still interview everyone who applies. Our Beauty Team Members seem to enjoy the position.

Thank you. I believe someone was hired externally, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back