Archived I am wanting to climb up the Target ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I have been at Target for two years. I turn 21 a couple weeks. Target is the only job I've ever had. I'm currently in college but cannot figure out what I want to do as a career. I would like to move up in Target, even though I have read that it is not worth it from numerous sites. I actually like working and like working at Target. I was originally just a cashier, moved to flow. I have been doing that and many other things in the store for a year now. I'm currently both Flow and In-Stocks. I have worked almost every area in the store. From Hardlines to Softlines. I've done Operator, Pricing, Presentation, Guest Services. Anything my leaders will ask me to do. But I know I still have a lot to learn.. Right now, I feel like I am my ETL's side kick. I do everything she asks me to. I am even 'captain' of something that we do weeky. She often comes to me with other tasks to do. She's become like my mentor. I love it. We have talked once about starting a career in Target but it had to be short because of the hecticness of the Flow team.

Does anyone have any tips that will help me advance?

Well, uh, talking to your ETL about becoming a TL sounds like a first good step.

Okay. I have been at Target for two years. I turn 21 a couple weeks. Target is the only job I've ever had. I'm currently in college but cannot figure out what I want to do as a career. I would like to move up in Target, even though I have read that it is not worth it from numerous sites. I actually like working and like working at Target. I was originally just a cashier, moved to flow. I have been doing that and many other things in the store for a year now. I'm currently both Flow and In-Stocks. I have worked almost every area in the store. From Hardlines to Softlines. I've done Operator, Pricing, Presentation, Guest Services. Anything my leaders will ask me to do. But I know I still have a lot to learn.. Right now, I feel like I am my ETL's side kick. I do everything she asks me to. I am even 'captain' of something that we do weeky. She often comes to me with other tasks to do. She's become like my mentor. I love it. We have talked once about starting a career in Target but it had to be short because of the hecticness of the Flow team.

You are on the right track... the best advice I can give is to keep that relationship positive with your ETL and be honest, let her know what you are thinking! She will get you there! It will look good for her for you to promote if everything you say is true :)

How far are you in school? Ask your STL and HR about internship possibilities. Target has been my only Job and I love it. Ive been with them for almost 8 years, Im a sr Tl now, i started as a hardlines tm. Ive been a Team lead for almost every department for the past 6years. Im currently working on my degree!! I would definitely recommend the internship program If you are good, when you graduate you basically have an ETL position. I do not regret not finishing school when I had the chance, but it would have made it easier for me to be an ETL or even something else bu now. You make your Job experience at the target what you want it to be.

Anything my leaders will ask me to do. But I know I still have a lot to learn.. Right now, I feel like I am my ETL's side kick. I do everything she asks me to. I am even 'captain' of something that we do weeky. She often comes to me with other tasks to do. She's become like my mentor. I love it. We have talked once about starting a career in Target but it had to be short because of the hecticness of the Flow team.

It also sounds like you've got the classic carrot-on-a-stick in front of you...been there, done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back