Archived I covered GSA today and I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theweather

Coupon Cop
I've worked at target for about 8 months now and really love it when I get to switch it up a bit from the monotony of cashiering and do something different for a change. I started working at guest service about a month ago and LOVE that, too. My store is fairly large and has huge red card goals and I love my gsas/gstls/lods. I'm a full time college student but usually work 20-37 hours per week!

Today, I was called in, and towards the end of my shift, the gstl asked me if I've ever covered/been trained for GSA. I replied no, and they thought that I had been already! Short story short, I ended up covering the lanes for almost an hour. I know it was just a small thing, but it was so much fun! I have a ton of leadership experience, but cashiering has been my only job. We hired a new GSA a few months ago, but she's barely been in in the last few months due to personal issues.

How do I subtly drop hints that I'd be interested in a GSA position?

Eh I enjoyed GSA too. But I always strived for more, which ended up manifesting itself into GSTL but I didn't expect it to. Good for you that you've found a passion for a particular role, it is what you make of it.

Tips for making it to GSA:
-Express interest to the GSTL and ETL-GE.
-Get good with the GSAs
-Seek feedback
-Learn the POS to the point of perfection.
-Most importantly, trick your leadership into believing you're "long term target". As in, you want to develop into GSA, then GSTL, then be an ETL when you get your degree. People are more likely to invest in you if they believe they're going to see a good return on their investment.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, that helps a lot- especially the part about the degree. My target has given managerial level jobs to people who have a degree, but no prior retail experience (no offense to them, though, they're great). Awesome!

Target's hiring culture is structured to by and large to support those coming straight out of college with a bachelors and no prior experience. Plenty of ETLs and even some STLs have been hired like that, you just have to be able to interview well. So if ETL is an actual goal if yours I'd say if you can get to TL then its well within your reach soon as you get the degree. (Skip Sr.TL, if the endgame is ETL then its a waste of time...some advice I was given by an ETL-HR.)

Aim for GSTL if you can. GSA doesn't pay very much more for triple the stress than cashier, and it's such a pointless step in my opinion, you might get stuck there too. It's easy to do now, with the holidays being over, but it seems so not worth it when it gets busy. I don't understand why it pays so little. I won't ever do it because they can't offer the pay it should have, for what's basically a management position.

Luckily during the holiday season I got about 15 a week, so at least I can humble-brag about that if the time comes.. But yeah, my target is hiking our already outrageous limit, anyways.. They've started placing red card quotas and if you don't get a certain amount, you'll get written up, and if you're written up enough... Luckily they haven't said anything to me about that, but they've had that talk with coworkers who have been there 10+ years

Luckily during the holiday season I got about 15 a week, so at least I can humble-brag about that if the time comes.. But yeah, my target is hiking our already outrageous limit, anyways.. They've started placing red card quotas and if you don't get a certain amount, you'll get written up, and if you're written up enough... Luckily they haven't said anything to me about that, but they've had that talk with coworkers who have been there 10+ years

It's more than you getting them. It's coming up with ways to get the team to get them.

Very true. I think a lot of the issue is that the younger kids working there with no prior leadership/trained interpersonal communication experience, I've seen stuff here along the lines of paring cashiers to get better ways of selling the red cards, and that seems like a pretty cool idea

Today, after talking to one of the part time GSAS, I decided to talk to my GSTL about training for GSA. She said yes! She just has to talk to the LOD.. Fingers crossed!

unless you want to move up, there's no reason to be gsa. you're basically a cashier with the responsibility of a gstl. now as a cashier/service desk, this is a good way for leadership to easily see you have what it takes.

when it comes to the interviews, zoning a shelf is nice. figuring out what happens when all your registers goes down is a lot different.

make sure you come up with ideas of how to motivate the cashiers to get Redcards. When I applied for GSA my idea was "Redcard hero of the month" it was a good idea and people liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back