Archived I don't know sh*t !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I don't know shit in the store. This has been my fifth day working as a sales floor team member. Each time a guest comes up to me, most of the time I'm not too sure where the item they're asking for is located. I may know the general area, thou I don't know the specific isle. I'll either lead them to the area (as I'm not too good on giving directions), or if I have no clue as to where the item is located, I'll ask a fellow team member.

With me going back and forth between isles in the pets and chemicals section today (re-shopping), I feel like I should know where most of the items in that section is located isles by isle by now, thou I don't. I feel like I should already start applying for more jobs because I know I'll fail in this one

Give yourself some time. I've been at my store for 6 months, and I still only know a few specific aisle numbers off the top of my head. As long as you know the general area, that's usually good enough. Guests understand that you can't have a catalog of every item and location in your head, so as long as you point them in the right direction, you're being helpful.

Five days is suh a short amount of time. Just relax and focus on helping the guests. The rest will come later.

General locations is good. If they ask for microwaves point them toward small appliances and they will find it. If they are looking for valentines day gifts point to seasonal. If they want motor oil point to automotive. I've never been specific about locations (as a cashier/SDTM I don't get out on the floor much) but I'm usually able to help by knowing which departments are where and what general items go into those departments. Day 5 is a little soon to be looking for another job because you couldn't point a guest toward something.

Give yourself some time. Even I don't know where everything is and I've been there 3 years. You start to remember the most asked items over time. Soon you will at least start remembering the blocks. And as always you can look on the my device or ask on the walkie

I don't know where most of the product is. -I work on the front end, but I can probably tell you the price of most item and when deals they have with them. If you put me on the floor I would have to walk around a lot to find something I was looking for. There have been times when a guest or two has asked me where a specific item is. If I have coverage, I will walk them through the store and say - let's look together.. In the conversation I usually get them to open up a redcard also! That usually stops mgmt about wanting to talk to me about leaving the front end.. Geez, you would think they didn't 'I know when to hold 'em and know when to fold them..

Give yourself some time. Spot is constantly changing things around ( ie resets etc) so even the most seasoned team member can sometimes have an issue. Just hang in there and it will get better .

Use your PDA and tools to search for items. If you don't know what the guest is asking for. Ask them questions.

You can probably get to the general area. The rest might be just looking for specific spots.

Have your trainer also go over Planogram numbers.

I've been with Spot for a little over 3 years and I still don't know where half of the stuff in the store is located. So don't feel for bad for only 5 days. :D

I suppose that's what PDAs and MyDevices are for, eh?

@verblichen Don't worry about it. Nobody has the whole store memorized. Hell, by the time I start to remember where things are without asking or searching on the MyDevice, the department gets reset and everything moves around.
This.
Ill-timed quote over the walkie: "Where the @#$! did they move the toilet paper THIS time?!"

I don't know specific aisle locations on very many items but can walk a guest to where something is located easily. I've been at my store 2.5 years and still don't know where everything is.

I feel like I don't know shit in the store. This has been my fifth day working as a sales floor team member. Each time a guest comes up to me, most of the time I'm not too sure where the item they're asking for is located. I may know the general area, thou I don't know the specific isle. I'll either lead them to the area (as I'm not too good on giving directions), or if I have no clue as to where the item is located, I'll ask a fellow team member.

With me going back and forth between isles in the pets and chemicals section today (re-shopping), I feel like I should know where most of the items in that section is located isles by isle by now, thou I don't. I feel like I should already start applying for more jobs because I know I'll fail in this one
At my store it is perfectly acceptable to say "Hey team does anybody know what aisle the *insert item here* are in?" Your team is there to help, hence team...unless your store sucks.

At my store it is perfectly acceptable to say "Hey team does anybody know what aisle the *insert item here* are in?" Your team is there to help, hence team...unless your store sucks.
I've been getting less help when asking where certain items are, to the point that 50% of my requests for an items location either take more than 20 seconds for someone to respond (guest has walked away) or get no response at all. It's sad. Then 95% of the store ignores backup requests, at least I can understand that, there is no way to get work done if you're constantly running up to the lanes.

Then 95% of the store ignores backup requests, at least I can understand that, there is no way to get work done if you're constantly running up to the lanes.

I can't understand that, though. If you are not with a guest, I need you at the lanes. I'm not calling for backup just to distract you from your duties. It's because I have Ms. Entitled screeching about how she's fourth in line and her husband with cancer is dying because of me, because I can't get the lines down.

Even with my years I still lose track of things. I'll go to where it was only to find that the latest reset moved it. Every year someone at HQ has the idea to move furnace filters from automotive to home improvement. Flashlights and locks too. For me, I read about the moves in the transition manual, but its instinct to take the guest to X after its been moved to Y.

I have a list in all the call boxes with common asked for items. Light bulbs, air filters, travel sized, common grocery items. Ask your store leadership if this can be done for you. Should not take too long for each TL to make some suggestions and for your TMSC person or anyone else to type it up on one sheet and dispense copies around.

I can't understand that, though. If you are not with a guest, I need you at the lanes. I'm not calling for backup just to distract you from your duties. It's because I have Ms. Entitled screeching about how she's fourth in line and her husband with cancer is dying because of me, because I can't get the lines down.
I think we should do away with that. Just let them line up. It won't be the end of the world. Are there any other retailers that focus on this as much as target does? If a team member is doing something, it's more efficient to let them finish whatever that is than make them waste time walking to and from the lanes. Stocking product, salesplanners, zoning, etc are not more or less important than ringing up guests.

Reactions: PJ5
I think we should do away with that. Just let them line up. It won't be the end of the world. Are there any other retailers that focus on this as much as target does? If a team member is doing something, it's more efficient to let them finish whatever that is than make them waste time walking to and from the lanes. Stocking product, salesplanners, zoning, etc are not more or less important than ringing up guests.

This is why Target is above the rest. Because we do take care of the guest. The only other retailers that call up more people to cashier is Hobby Lobby. The home improvement big box have plenty of cashiers at most times, and get more help if needed. If I have to go to Wal Mart for something I'll go at a lower volume time or use the self checkout due to the lack of staffing.

Yep have you seen Walmart? Two cashiers and never any backup. Ridiculous. I'm glad Target has the 1+1 policy.

Reactions: PJ5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back