Archived I don't know sh*t !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep have you seen Walmart? Two cashiers and never any backup. Ridiculous. I'm glad Target has the 1+1 policy.
If we followed that policy every time then backup would usually clear by the time salesfloor gets there, wasting time. If it's 1+2 or 1+3 for just one or two lines it will probably be gone by the time anyone actually gets up to help. Of course if it gets worse then help is needed if you care about keeping the lines down. Seriously waiting in line is a part of life, and those that bitch and moan will almost definitely be back, even if they say they will shop elsewhere. Even though walmart has only those two cashiers do you see any reduction in the lines from lack of people shopping? I don't.

The home improvement big box have plenty of cashiers at most times, and get more help if needed.
See I wouldn't have a problem if staffing was OK, but the current situation requires backup very often. If front end had enough cashiers there wouldn't need to be backup more than a few times a day, instead it's a constant "additional cashiers to the front lanes" droning over the walkie.

Reactions: PJ5
If we followed that policy every time then backup would usually clear by the time salesfloor gets there, wasting time. If it's 1+2 or 1+3 for just one or two lines it will probably be gone by the time anyone actually gets up to help. Of course if it gets worse then help is needed if you care about keeping the lines down. Seriously waiting in line is a part of life, and those that bitch and moan will almost definitely be back, even if they say they will shop elsewhere. Even though walmart has only those two cashiers do you see any reduction in the lines from lack of people shopping? I don't.

See I wouldn't have a problem if staffing was OK, but the current situation requires backup very often. If front end had enough cashiers there wouldn't need to be backup more than a few times a day, instead it's a constant "additional cashiers to the front lanes" droning over the walkie.
I agree about Walmart, the place is dirty, the shoppers can be just like the people of walmart site, and the lines insane (self checkout does help) but the place is packed everyday due to the prices that keep people shopping there without all the guest first perks. At my store the LOD and Cart Attendant are the first to go on cashier backup before sales floor are called, ever the HR was cashiering on the insanity that was last Sunday afternoon, they try to call sales floor last.

I agree about Walmart, the place is dirty, the shoppers can be just like the people of walmart site, and the lines insane (self checkout does help) but the place is packed everyday due to the prices that keep people shopping there without all the guest first perks. At my store the LOD and Cart Attendant are the first to go on cashier backup before sales floor are called, ever the HR was cashiering on the insanity that was last Sunday afternoon, they try to call sales floor last.
For some insanely idiotic reason backup calls at my store go like this:
  • GSA: Team I need backup
  • *crickets*
  • LOD: TEAM WHO'S RESPONDING TO BACKUP
  • Someone responds, if not then more crickets
  • LOD: MARKET TEAM CAN ONE OF YOU HEAD UP FOR BACKUP?
  • Helpful Market: sure give me a sec
I have no idea why they always go to market first after no one responds. Softlines seems like they never help with backup, it's always hardlines if someone responds, and market if no one voluntarily heads up. Also their team lead likes to text in the fitting room sorting area.

Sometimes what happens is that the LOD or a team lead will say: GSA hop on I'll watch lights. What I'm wondering is why they didn't hop on themselves...and usually when the GSA (sometimes me when I cover for their breaks) gets back they left a long time ago...FML

Sometimes what happens is that the LOD or a team lead will say: GSA hop on I'll watch lights. What I'm wondering is why they didn't hop on themselves...and usually when the GSA (sometimes me when I cover for their breaks) gets back they left a long time ago...FML

As leaders they should not tie themselves to a lane. If there is a LOD call they need to be available to get that. Or a ESIM spill. Code yellow/green/red.... Vendors at the back door. As sucky as it seems, its best for the GSA to be on the lane and have assistance watching for the lights.

While the PDA is a very useful tool, if you're around a team member, it might be better to ask them. You'll help the guest a lot faster. I never have a problem with helping new fellow team members.

I've been getting less help when asking where certain items are, to the point that 50% of my requests for an items location either take more than 20 seconds for someone to respond (guest has walked away) or get no response at all. It's sad. Then 95% of the store ignores backup requests, at least I can understand that, there is no way to get work done if you're constantly running up to the lanes.
Yeah, at my store that would never fly. We stress responding to walkie calls everyday. It's second nature now. You just kinda do it. If you aren't with a guest and you are right next to check out you better respond within a few seconds. Provided a team lead doesn't first (they are pretty good about back ups).

I can't understand that, though. If you are not with a guest, I need you at the lanes. I'm not calling for backup just to distract you from your duties. It's because I have Ms. Entitled screeching about how she's fourth in line and her husband with cancer is dying because of me, because I can't get the lines down.

because payroll.

Tight payroll means that in some stores only specialty teams are on the floor during the day.

Trucks, POGs, pricing, electronics, and the FR don't run themselves. They have daily goals that are supposed to be met. Just like the front end has Redcard and 1+1 goals.

And not every GSTL or GSA is good about calling for backup. Plenty of times I have stopped setting a POG or performing a task, walked up to the front of the store, to see NO lines or ring out one person with 3-4 items. Then I have to head back to my area. Speed weaving or sending guests to alternate areas to check out can usually solve the problem.

Or - maybe - you know - that cashier next to me with NO line can pull someone from my line so I can get back out to the floor. Or - perhaps - the GSA/GSTL can actually make an effort to shut down my lane on the times I do ring.

I can't understand that, though. If you are not with a guest, I need you at the lanes. I'm not calling for backup just to distract you from your duties. It's because I have Ms. Entitled screeching about how she's fourth in line and her husband with cancer is dying because of me, because I can't get the lines down.

I usually dont respond because im the only person in market and on the opposite side of the store and allready doing 2-3 other workcenters workloads on any given day (Backroom, Plano, Flow(C&S push) Half the time I get up there there isnt much of a line since most of the time im coming from about as far away as I can in the store

I DO however help grab carts whenever needed as that lets the cashiers stay on the lanes and everything running how it should.

For some insanely idiotic reason backup calls at my store go like this:
  • GSA: Team I need backup
  • *crickets*
  • LOD: TEAM WHO'S RESPONDING TO BACKUP
  • Someone responds, if not then more crickets
  • LOD: MARKET TEAM CAN ONE OF YOU HEAD UP FOR BACKUP?
  • Helpful Market: sure give me a sec
I have no idea why they always go to market first after no one responds. Softlines seems like they never help with backup, it's always hardlines if someone responds, and market if no one voluntarily heads up. Also their team lead likes to text in the fitting room sorting area.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Theres been several times Ive backed up and there was pricing right across from the lanes in girls or someone in apparel way closer than I was...pissed me off

@pfreshdude The proximity doesn't really matter, though. Unless you're in the backroom, everyone in the store can make it to the checklanes in about 30 seconds or less. It's not about how long it takes you to get to the registers, it's how long you spend up there. I may work close to the registers, but I still have a ton of work to do like everybody else!

Only hardlines, softlines and consumables respond in my store. Everyone else is exempt.

The thing with backup is that you have to anticipate it. When I cover a lunch or break, I watch the lights, speedweave, watch the redwire alerts, watch the main aisle, and watch the door. If I see a load of people come in within about 5 to 10 minutes of each other, I know that I'll be backed up in about 15 minutes for about 10-15 minutes. When I start to see people coming back down the main aisle I'll call for back up. If I can get the backup there before the lanes get backed up, then everything goes much smoother. If you wait to call for backup until the lines are stretching across the aisle, then you're going to have a bad time. Also, if you have a line of two or three people, and you see that no one else is coming to checkout, don't call for backup. All you're going to do is waste the TM's time walking up to the lanes just to turn right back around. Weave that out, or hop on a lane and take a guest. To be fair, I'm not a GSTL full time and I know there are a million other things to do. But as a TL in any department you must know how to multitask. it's essential to surviving at Target.

Last edited:
Also, if you have a line of two or three people, and you see that no one else is coming to checkout, don't call for backup. All you're going to do is waste the TM's time walking up to the lanes just to turn right back around. Weave that out, or hop on a lane and take a guest.
The LODs at my store do this. One guest standing out and they call for backup. Stupid. Meanwhile I'm just standing there while they walk by wondering why the fuck they just wasted someone's time with that. Then the team member gets there and no one is even standing out anymore.

Closeness does not matter. Everyone needs to take a turn. If how close you are is how it worked. than shut down produce, starbucks, and cafe and just make them cashier.

Closeness does not matter. Everyone needs to take a turn. If how close you are is how it worked, then shut down produce, starbucks, and cafe and just make them cashier.
They have positions they can't leave. I don't think salesfloor should have to take "turns," backup should be so rare that someone is always willing to do it voluntarily.

Obviously it shouldn't go on closeness alone, but if you have process teams right next to the checklanes then market shouldn't have to respond when they're doing a time sensitive pull. Especially if they're at the back of the store.

They have positions they can't leave. I don't think salesfloor should have to take "turns," backup should be so rare that someone is always willing to do it voluntarily.

Obviously it shouldn't go on closeness alone, but if you have process teams right next to the checklanes then market shouldn't have to respond when they're doing a time sensitive pull. Especially if they're at the back of the store.

Produce most certainly can leave their area, as well as SB if they have more than 1 TM there and are have low traffic to do so. That is a BS excuse. As far as pricing/plano/flow.... I agree. Problem with them is many are not cashier trained.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Theres been several times Ive backed up and there was pricing right across from the lanes in girls or someone in apparel way closer than I was...pissed me off

When i am doing pricing and I am in girls or jewelry, I will hop on if I see the lanes getting backed up. But just because Im right there doesn't mean I should be the one to hop on everytime. Sometimes I could be in girls 2-3 hours but If I spend all that time going up for backup I wont get anything done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back