Archived I don't want to be "that" Team Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshana

TM/Food Ave
Hello all!

So I've been on the register three times now. The first time was for an hour after orientation, and the next two were yesterday and today, for seven hours each.

I don't know if it was blind luck or whatever, but I've been doing quite well with the redcards. I won our little contest both yesterday and today.

My issue is that I want everyone to like me, or, at the very least, get along with me. Two days ago, on another Team Members birthday, the supervisor pointed out how I was getting cards and that she should be doing better. Today she was teasing me about my strategy when we were talking about it, and I could tell she was whispering to another worker about me.

I just...I want to do well and keep impressing the higher-ups, but at the same time I don't want to be the kid who requests more homework. How do you balance this?

Maybe I'm just always doomed to be the goody two-shoes.

Honestly, if you have a good day with REDcards, that's nothing to feel guilty about. You will likely have some bad days as well, so remember to appreciate the good!

Don't worry too much about "showing up" your fellow TMs. Being brand new doesn't mean that you can't perform well. As long as you're not bragging about it or trying to give them advice, then keep doing what you're doing.

You can also earn respect by being strong team-player in all aspects of your workcenter (besides just REDcards). Don't be the cashier who just stands around when it's slow. Be sure you are using those periods to step out of your lane and zone your endcaps, sidecaps, and coolers. At close, you can help fill bags, receipt tape, etc. Volunteer to help out the sales floor with reshop, if your store lets cashiers stay after close. The TMs that matter are going to see this and appreciate your work ethic.

Just don't talk about redcards and cashier stuff with other cashiers at breaks. Be social away from your post (at breaks) and people will like you.

I mean, this other TM asked me what I was doing to push the cards, and I told her something I learned in a marketing class and she burst out laughing at me. I think this is what she was telling everyone. On my break two of the other TMs in the breakroom just gave me a weird look. Actually, at this point I've had a lot more non-work related conversations with the people above me than at my level.

Yep, on break no matter how tempted you might be don't talk about work.
And like they said, if someone asks for advice do your best but otherwise just smile be humble.
Some people are naturals at selling and can do it under the harshest of conditions.
The problem is the company likes to use those people as the standard.

The contests don't really matter. Its just a motivation tactic. All Target is concerned about is conversion rates.

Ask every eligible guest about the RedCard, and use whatever speech as a tool. Thats all you can do.

Do not concern yourself with the other TMs' attitudes or whispers. You will learn quick that Target is a soap opera or high school, and you do not want to get dragged into that drama. You will have people who will be your friends, who will fight you, and others will be friends at moment and then talk about you behind your back.

Just be concerned with your performance and take feedback from your TL, and what you can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back