Archived I got asked today if I thought about applying to be an SFTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Master Thread Maker
I'm on the fence. I mean the pay increase would be great but I'm nervous about the responsibility that comes with it. I have plenty of prior retail experience and pretty much right now I may as well be the SFTL but I just wonder how hard it really can be. Any advice?

I think you should go for it. You would not have been approached if the ETL didn't think you could do it! if there are any TLs you are friendly with you could always ask them what it is like. just my two cents.

SFT is a pretty sweet gig, no nights or weekends or holidays. Plus more money. All the things a new dad could really use. Are you some what handy? If so I'd try it out. You could always ask your SFT if you think it would be a good fit too.

SFT is a pretty sweet gig, no nights or weekends or holidays. Plus more money. All the things a new dad could really use. Are you some what handy? If so I'd try it out. You could always ask your SFT if you think it would be a good fit too.
The op was asked about SFTL.

It entirely depends on the store you're in, and without knowing if it'll be for Hardlines or Softlines it'll be hard to gauge because they're two separate beasts (and two separate teams.) Ask a current SFTL at your store what they think. It has a lot to do with the strength of your team and leadership which, though you might have an idea of, isn't really clear until you're directly delegating things to them or taking direction from them, respectively. Also, would you be comfortable coaching team members, and/or consistently coaching them to ensure they're termed?

I'm a SFTL and I thoroughly enjoy it. It's absolutely stressful at times, but I don't take the stress home or let it get to me throughout the day, which is a trait you definitely need to have to be a successful team lead.

I at least applied for it I mean it can't hurt and I agree the money is a plus cause I'm going to need it. Hopefully I can get a good school schedule going so I won't be spread too thin but I'm totally going to go for it. I think it could be a good change and who knows...maybe I'm one step closer to making a career out of Target (not)

You're in school? At my store, leadership - TLs and ETLs - require completely open availability. If you're chosen for development, I would double check to see if your availability could be accommodated.

As others have suggested, have some candid discussions with any TL that you may be close to.
Also try to visualize how you will balance parenting, being a full time TL and going to school (full time?) Is your college degree compatible with a career in retail, or is Target a paycheck until you get your degree in your chosen field. Lots of things to consider.

You're in school? At my store, leadership - TLs and ETLs - require completely open availability. If you're chosen for development, I would double check to see if your availability could be accommodated.
I've had tls in college. Only basic tls though, nothing higher. And with the understanding that if they weren't in class they were available.

When I was in school both my stores worked with my school schedule. I made my closing night a night when I wasn't in class and then my day off and closing night I would go to class in the morning. Luckily both stores were more then accommodating, I know sometimes stores don't care about your life outside of Target.

When I was in school both my stores worked with my school schedule. I made my closing night a night when I wasn't in class and then my day off and closing night I would go to class in the morning. Luckily both stores were more then accommodating, I know sometimes stores don't care about your life outside of Target.
Well given that I live in a city with a major university it's pretty much a given that a good majority of the TM's in our store are students. My availability is pretty open even with classes and they're willing to work with me to accommodate my schooling. I know other TL's who are in school as well so it's not uncommon where I work.

Not gonna lie, its pretty challenging at times. Some weeks tougher than others, depending on the resets you have in your areas. If you can delegate and train your team well, you can stay ahead of the game. You have to always maximize on a minimal schedule. Im saying its not easy, but it gets easier as it goes. Go for it, its good to challenge yourself, plus the pay is okay

Not gonna lie, its pretty challenging at times. Some weeks tougher than others, depending on the resets you have in your areas. If you can delegate and train your team well, you can stay ahead of the game. You have to always maximize on a minimal schedule. Im saying its not easy, but it gets easier as it goes. Go for it, its good to challenge yourself, plus the pay is okay
I like a good challenge and I think it will be a nice change. The girlfriend wants me to go for it and not going to lie I could use the raise! They haven't scheduled me for an interview yet so fingers crossed.

SFTL is one of the easiest and hardest TL spots in the store, just like every other one. You have to performance manage your team. You get the most face time with ETLs as SFTL, so it's easier to make yourself stand out as well. Just know that your teams will often be stretched thin and they will be the first cuts when your execs are trimming hours to make payroll.

SFTL is one of the easiest and hardest TL spots in the store, just like every other one. You have to performance manage your team. You get the most face time with ETLs as SFTL, so it's easier to make yourself stand out as well. Just know that your teams will often be stretched thin and they will be the first cuts when your execs are trimming hours to make payroll.
Yeah I know they trim hours quite often around here. After reading everything I'm feeling a bit more confident that I can do a great job as an SFTL but it's not up to me. All I can do is try my best during the interview and then it's out of my hands.

If you sense that the interview isn't going well, say "Oh, I thought you said SFT. Never mind."

If you sense that the interview isn't going well, say "Oh, I thought you said SFT. Never mind."
Ha! Im going to just go for it. I'm pretty friendly with everyone at the store (some people just irk me but I put on a smile and tolerate them) so I'm pretty chill about being interviewed by someone I have a good relationship with.

All stores are not the same, but at my store, the first two interviews (ETL and STL) are merely a formality. They didn't even really happen for me; they were just used as feedback sessions for the answers I gave.

If they want you for the position, you'll pass your first two interviews. It's the third, with your District Team Lead, that will be the deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back