Archived I guess empty shelves mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember during Christmas when risers were located and that's where they put big toys and stuff.
It took some of the pressure off the steel and made the store look pretty.
Of course it was a total pain in the ass to get anything down from there which may have been why they stopped doing it.

Located risers were such a pain. Good idea in theory, but not in practice. We still get to do risers during 4th quarter, but all the signing in toys really cut down on riser space.

Does anyone remember when plastic storage pogs used to have a top shelf? Those tubs got stacked halfway to the ceiling!

Last edited:
Located risers were such a pain. Good idea in theory, but not in practice. We still get to do risers during 4th quarter, but all the signing in toys really cute down on the riser space.

Does anyone remember when plastic storage pogs used to have a top shelf? Those tubs got stacked halfway to the ceiling!

Risers are the worst. Last year, our riser product wasn't located, so the instocks for those items were royally fucked.

My POG team rarely works their outs pulls. It just gets a yellow clip and goes with the rest of the pulls. If its an excessive amount I have no reservation to call the Plano TL out.

My POG team rarely works their outs pulls. It just gets a yellow clip and goes with the rest of the pulls. If its an excessive amount I have no reservation to call the Plano TL out.

Yeah no.. In-Stocks doesn't hours to push stuff other than our own, Plano pushes their own crap, more times than not they try to clip it as research or CAF pulls but that gets stopped in a hurry.

Risers used only in 4th quarter and its located.

I don't believe that my store has ever used risers. During Q4 or not.

I miss risers during 4th qu. However, one year the etl/log made us locate the risers ( made a label for each aisle and made us locate them just like in the backroom) what a pain in the butt...while pulling the autofills and cafs to have to go out on the floor and scan products on the risers. I miss the risers but having them located not so much.

Yeah no.. In-Stocks doesn't hours to push stuff other than our own, Plano pushes their own crap, more times than not they try to clip it as research or CAF pulls but that gets stopped in a hurry.
Today, I was the dedicated puller for Plano. Before I left for the day, there was a 3-tier of consumables for a revision fill left. I placed it on the line with the CAF pulls and clocked out. :oops:

Technically I don't think we're supposed to be using risers unless you are a riser strategy approved store. My store isn't, but we have such a small backroom that we would have nowhere to put that stuff otherwise.

We only really had riser product right before Black Friday. Most everything we had on risers was being used to fill holes in aisle or blown endcaps.

Today, I was the dedicated puller for Plano. Before I left for the day, there was a 3-tier of consumables for a revision fill left. I placed it on the line with the CAF pulls and clocked out. :oops:

We use the green pull clips and a paper tag in big bold letters "POG" and leave it there. As of now most of the time Plano is still there when we are leaving. So it stays on them.

And no risers for us unless its 4th quarter, we use them for black Friday stock and fill, then to hold clearance we have enough down below until we can pull more down. The risers comes down as that department sells down to more normal levels.

Risers used only in 4th quarter and its located.

So what do you do when plano finishes a set and doesn't do a POG fill so that it comes out when Instocks shoots it the next day?

Really, it's neither a plano or flow team issue. The direct responsibility lies on the shoulders of the PPTL, who should have planned for this in advance. Here's why.

Your PPTL knows when the candy comes in, because it comes at the same time on the same day every week. They also know that candy is a direct ship, and when you are setting your revision pog.

Knowing these things, they should have gotten with whomever is responsible for pushing candy, and ensured that it was pushed, and all transition sorted from the backstock, and staged in a place where you could quickly retrieve it to finish your work efficiently.

Doing this ensures your workload is completed smoothly, and also protects their team (you) by ensuring that if you aren't able to complete your work because the pallet wasn't broken down, that the blame isn't falling on your shoulders.

So ultimately, it's your team lead's issue to deal with, mainly his/her poor planning and foresight.

Seriously? Have you ever been a PPTL? much less a Sr PPTL? Do you think Plano/pricing team leads have that kind of time to plan setting a REVISION around the candy delivery day? I sure as heck don't!! I have improved in planning workload but I don't see myself taking that amount of time to plan for a single 2 hour revision.

Like others have said, flow or whoever should have pushed the product and backstocked whatever didn't have a sales floor location so it would come out on the revision fill. That's exactly what happened when we set those revisions last week and it worked out just fine.
It's more of a hazard in my store to leave a small amount of product un-located because it's likely going to be forgotten about. (Not to say we don't stage product but no way would they stage like 10-12 boxes of candy.)

So what do you do when plano finishes a set and doesn't do a POG fill so that it comes out when Instocks shoots it the next day?

We have a chat with their TL, and find out what happened. Sometimes they drop a batch and no product is in the building, or sometimes it crosses and gets missed. POG drops a batch and it comes in on that nights truck and its not set yet so - to back stock it goes. So when their batch gets pulled their stuff is sitting on a back stock tub from the truck - this is what usually happens. We come through the next day and get a lot of hits too many hits so we start looking at when stuff came in.

We also are still having issues where they drop batches and almost nothing pulls, we come through and everything comes out.. Though with the Port issues neither of us are pulling a lot product. Some places are pretty bare right now..

Seriously? Have you ever been a PPTL? much less a Sr PPTL? Do you think Plano/pricing team leads have that kind of time to plan setting a REVISION around the candy delivery day? I sure as heck don't!! I have improved in planning workload but I don't see myself taking that amount of time to plan for a single 2 hour revision.

Like others have said, flow or whoever should have pushed the product and backstocked whatever didn't have a sales floor location so it would come out on the revision fill. That's exactly what happened when we set those revisions last week and it worked out just fine.
It's more of a hazard in my store to leave a small amount of product un-located because it's likely going to be forgotten about. (Not to say we don't stage product but no way would they stage like 10-12 boxes of candy.)

I was a very successful St Pptl for a very long time (years). Yes, I did plan to that level of detail, and took the time to preempt possible barriers like my candy order not being pushed. If you don't take the time to plan for others to help you be successful, you will never be successful. "I don't have time" is never a valid reason, you just have to find time.

I was a very successful St Pptl for a very long time (years). Yes, I did plan to that level of detail, and took the time to preempt possible barriers like my candy order not being pushed. If you don't take the time to plan for others to help you be successful, you will never be successful. "I don't have time" is never a valid reason, you just have to find time.

I appreciate the way you imply that just because I don't plan like you means I am a worse leader. Thanks! That kind of planning would require that I never set with my team and in effect, lose all respect from them. Times have changed.

Last edited:

How long has it been since you've been a PPTL? Surely you realize that not all stores are run the same way, and with the same amount of payroll?

Not to mention the amount of work teams are expected to do in addition to their normal work on POG.

I appreciate the way you imply that just because I don't plan like you means I am a worse leader. Thanks! That kind of planning would require that I never set with my team and in effect, lose all respect from them. Times have changed.

I didn't imply you were a bad leader, I said you would ultimately not be as successful. I can see how you would gather that from my post though.

How long has it been since you've been a PPTL? Surely you realize that not all stores are run the same way, and with the same amount of payroll?

Not to mention the amount of work teams are expected to do in addition to their normal work on POG.

It's been less than a year. I left target because I was a Sr. TL running PPTL + Flow and BR. The job was not worth the money. I was with Target for 13 years, I'm well aware of what has changed.

It's not about you not planning. You're obviously already planning the work. If you weren't how would they know what they're doing. In this instance, all that would be needed would be to say "hey, you know most of that candy will be on the candy pallet. I should send an email saying it needs to be sorted before we set it, or it won't be pushed." It's literally 60 seconds of your time, to save yourself a headache.

When you're planning, think about what else will impact that planogram set, whose job it is to mitigate (clearance in aisle, product being staged, etc) and send them an email saying "do abc or I can't do xyz"

Your job is to protect your team, and remove the things that prevent them from doing their job smoothly. If your team feels like you have their back, and you do everything in your power to keep them happy and ensure they have a smooth day, then they will respect you. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be boots-on-the-ground with your team when needed. But if you're doing that every day then there's a problem. Either you aren't planning efficiently or you aren't being given the time you need to be successful. If you plan effectively and aren't being given the time to execute, or your team is being overtasked with other things, then your planning will be hard evidence to take to your ETL/STL to prove to them you need more payroll, or that extra things need to be removed from your plate. If they don't go for it, then ultimately it isn't your problem when things get heavy and you can't execute.

Planning effectively will save you a huge amount of time. Instead of backstocking that candy revision, why not have it staged? You already know when it's being set, you know when the candy is coming in. Why waste time backstocking AND pulling it, again. It's one revision, but when you add this mindset throughout all of your planning it adds up quickly. Now more than ever, with shit like 4x4's, brand duties, and plano back up cashiering in some stores, it's really very important to plan this way.

Again, I'm not saying you're bad at your job, or ineffective, I'm genuinely trying to help you, because I've been there and I understand it's a colossal pain in the ass.

I didn't imply you were a bad leader, I said you would ultimately not be as successful. I can see how you would gather that from my post though.

It's been less than a year. I left target because I was a Sr. TL running PPTL + Flow and BR. The job was not worth the money. I was with Target for 13 years, I'm well aware of what has changed.

It's not about you not planning. You're obviously already planning the work. If you weren't how would they know what they're doing. In this instance, all that would be needed would be to say "hey, you know most of that candy will be on the candy pallet. I should send an email saying it needs to be sorted before we set it, or it won't be pushed." It's literally 60 seconds of your time, to save yourself a headache.

Sure. But then you are assuming that the candy order will be worked. I have seen it left in the backroom for a few days before being worked to the floor.

And I am sure some stores work their candy order out the exact same day it comes in, each and every time.

All stores are not the same.

Sure. But then you are assuming that the candy order will be worked. I have seen it left in the backroom for a few days before being worked to the floor.

And I am sure some stores work their candy order out the exact same day it comes in, each and every time.

All stores are not the same.

Talk to your ETL and have them do it as a smart huddle.

Transition product should be sorted from normal backstock, but.....

With the way hours are cut as of late, corners get cut also. Only so many hours to go around, not enough to get everything done. Sorting pallets of transition is not a priority at some stores compared to others.

I'm late to the party but wow... risers... I do think we used them for Christmas '13 for the trees but haven't seen them in a long time. It also reminds me when cards, small appliances, domestics, and first aid/meds were full height gondolas. I still know a couple of stores in my area with the old card fixtures.

Ahhh..... I miss the old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back