Archived I need a mentor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if there is anyone here that could help me. I'm failing in my role as GSTL. I'm a hard worker and I really want to succeed, but I need help. There is just so much that I need to learn. If you could spare a bit of time please let me know.

We are here to help you. Fear of defeat is not your friend.
A suggestion on training:
On good training:
I completely agree with explaining the big picture and WHY things are done a certain way. Giving a brief overview of the process, or how your role fits in the store is EXTREMELY helpful. Target has a different way of organizing duties within the store, and how teams interact with each other than other retailers. Explaining how this works is a good way to start.

I always recommend using a checklist of some sort. I know Target used to have training brochures, but since 'all stores aren't the same' it may be helpful to create one specific for your store's processes. Doesn't have to anything fancy, but if you're going to be training people a lot, it'll be nice to have so you are consistent from trainee to trainee.

The recommended training at my company is:
-Tell: Tell the trainee what you are doing and why it's important
-Show: Show the trainee the task you want to complete. Explain what you are doing while you are doing it.
-Do: Have the trainee confirm understanding by having them complete the task
-Review: Provide feedback to the trainee.

Most people respond to positive reinforcement more so than negative reinforcement. Be positive, and point things that they are doing well, but be constructive when correcting someone.

Always let the trainee ask questions!

bullseyekindaguy

Bullseyebabe I’m not a GSTL so I can’t really help but I’m sorry that you feel like you’re failing in your role :( just the fact that you are asking for help shows that you are putting in the effort to try and succeed. I know you can!

Not a TL here but I have a fair amount of middle management experience outside of Target, so here's my nickel's worth of advice. Never expect your TMs to do things you aren't willing to do yourself - lead by example. Act the way you want your TMs to act, whether it's in how they relate to guests or work with each other. Always be open to questions; check in frequently during a TM's training period to make sure they understand what they're supposed to do. Be consistent in what your expectations are and how you treat your TMs; don't play favorites.
I think it's great that you're reaching out for help instead of just trying to bluff your way through. Leadership isn't really a place where "fake it till you make it" works all that well, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back