Archived I should be thankful to work at all... but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
I must say that my introduction to working at Target has been nothing short of a clusterfrak.

For starters, my interview did turn out to be an instant job offer, but nobody can tell me what workcenter I am supposed to be in or if I actually work there. I went in last Saturday to train as a cashier and my trainer basically said "Looks like you've got this." Heck, the only time I interacted with anyone other than guests was when I needed bags and when I was on my way out the door.

Fast forward to Monday. Not on the schedule. I went in and said to the HR team (and ETL-HR) "Hi, I was wondering if I could work this week?"

I managed to get a whole 8 hours this week. I have open availability, but since nobody knows me because I have only worked one shift I have no chance of getting called in or picking up shifts off the board.

Any advice?

Greetings and salutations.

I would go in and have a conversation with the HR-ETL.
Get a clear idea of what you are supposed to be doing and if they don't seem to have any idea ask for a learning plan.
When you know what your work center is find out who the TL (team lead) is and have a convo.
Make sure they know you are serious and sober, and want to learn.

Wow.
Talk about being left to your own devices.
As Commie said, go to your HR-ETL for your learning plans so they'll at least know you're in the building & ready to work.

Really odd. At orientation, our new hires are given the first week's schedule. Immediately after orientation, our new hires on SF and cashier go for cashier training to finish the shift. Guess your store does thing differently, but not necessarily better, eh? I'd suggest going to HR also.

I must say that my introduction to working at Target has been nothing short of a clusterfrak.

For starters, my interview did turn out to be an instant job offer, but nobody can tell me what workcenter I am supposed to be in or if I actually work there. I went in last Saturday to train as a cashier and my trainer basically said "Looks like you've got this." Heck, the only time I interacted with anyone other than guests was when I needed bags and when I was on my way out the door.

Fast forward to Monday. Not on the schedule. I went in and said to the HR team (and ETL-HR) "Hi, I was wondering if I could work this week?"
I managed to get a whole 8 hours this week. I have open availability, but since nobody knows me because I have only worked one shift I have no chance of getting called in or picking up shifts off the board.

Any advice?

my equipment certification went like this... "sign here"....

when I was hired, it stated the workcenter on my job offer, as well as who was responsible for training me... and the work center I was working in that day...

Really odd. At orientation, our new hires are given the first week's schedule. Immediately after orientation, our new hires on SF and cashier go for cashier training to finish the shift. Guess your store does thing differently, but not necessarily better, eh? I'd suggest going to HR also.

My orientation was last Tuesday (before Turkey Day). I can understand not wanting to have new hires in full-on panic mode on Black Thursday/Friday, but I must say that I'm going to start going into full-on panic mode if I don't get some hours on the next schedule.

During orientation we were given our first shift, and then when I went in for that shift I asked about hours for next week (this week). I was told that they were going to go figure it out and get an answer by Monday. At the beginning of my first shift I get sent down to the TL office with a cashier training book and some handouts and was told to read them and let HR know when I was done so I could take alcohol training. When I was done with all of that (took me 30 minutes, but I re-read everything to make sure I understood) I went out and was paired with a cashier. I shadowed her for about 15 minutes and then she showed me everything she knew. I've been running cash registers for 15 years, so I had a pretty firm grasp on what was going on.

The GSTL that I talked to when I was leaving seemed impressed (my avg score was about 89%) and asked when I was working again. I said "whenever I get called in".

Here's my kicker, though. I was hired as seasonal, but I really want to stay on. I know what I need to do to make that happen, but it's hard to do when nobody can see you.

If you're a cashier, just get red cards like crazy..... they will drool over themselves trying to keep you then.... I've seen more coached for lack of red cards than speed scores....

At my store, we've got a page and a half of people looking to swap out shifts, but no one taking them because everyone as at their maximum (whether personal or near 40 hours). I can't believe there isn't at least a cashier shift or two on that board. We also can't give enough hours away. If nothing else, a new person should be able to take over someone's cashier shift so the other person can go to a different department (happens fairly often at my store).

As for a learning plan? Good luck. Five months into this gig, 3 work centers trained and a trainer for cashiers, and I haven't actually seen one. My head GSTL said that did not give her a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but one can survive without them, apparently.

Here's my kicker, though. I was hired as seasonal, but I really want to stay on. I know what I need to do to make that happen, but it's hard to do when nobody can see you.

^this, lol.
Are you asked how you like working there by other team members, though? I've been asked many times and they report what you say..

It's been a few weeks since this thread started, so I thought I would provide y'all with an update.

I managed to get some straight answers from HR about what's going on. Apparently when I got keyed into the computer initially I was coded as a cashier. During the interview process that position was never discussed (other than I would be willing to run backup or fill-in). Since I was coded as a cashier, I got scheduled for cashier shifts this week (not a problem). Last week I worked my two training shifts in Softlines (a workcenter that I admit that I have absolutely no business working in). I lack the coordination to fold well, yet... well... whatever.

I have a training plan for hardlines (a real one with my info preprinted on it), yet I haven't worked a single shift in that department.

"I must say that my introduction to working at Target has been nothing short of a clusterfrak. "

It never really gets much better.

It's been a few weeks since this thread started, so I thought I would provide y'all with an update.

I managed to get some straight answers from HR about what's going on. Apparently when I got keyed into the computer initially I was coded as a cashier. During the interview process that position was never discussed (other than I would be willing to run backup or fill-in). Since I was coded as a cashier, I got scheduled for cashier shifts this week (not a problem). Last week I worked my two training shifts in Softlines (a workcenter that I admit that I have absolutely no business working in). I lack the coordination to fold well, yet... well... whatever.

I have a training plan for hardlines (a real one with my info preprinted on it), yet I haven't worked a single shift in that department.

Doesn't sound like things have gotten much better.
All I can say is keep plugging along, ask questions, show interest and do your very best to be invaluable (or as much as they will let you.)

Sometimes, your etl's changed your work center to give you more hours.

Uh huh... I know the day is going to come (I'm thinking Sunday) when I'm going to get asked to do something and I will have no idea what they are talking about. I know, I know...ask questions.

Quick question: What percentage of my time should be spent on zoning softlines? From my experiences so far it is 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back