Archived I think they want me to become a TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently work has been treating me really well. I got a DEO and a nice raise on my review. I got the whole employee of the month thing quite recently. I'm now always being offered tons of hours unlike a lot of people. My store never treated me badly, but how well they treat me has increased a LOT in a fairly short amount of time. I'm always being asked to lead which I'm assuming is to test me. During my review it was mentioned that they want to start mentoring me to become a TL if that's something I want. I was told I can "become anything I want". I was flattered I guess. I do want to become a TL but I don't feel ready just quite yet for all the responsibility. I haven't worked for Target that long, I'm still pretty young and feel like I am still learning. Regardless of the job, I always work hard and am scared of underperforming even if ~it's just Target~.
Anyways, we have two TLs in my department. My fav TL has been upset and also underperforming recently. It's obvious that they are unhappy with the TLs work performance. The TL told me today that they want a different job and they have been acting weird towards me. I'm starting to wonder if they're preparing me to take the TLs place. I don't want to take TLs place (honestly love them to pieces, such a great person). I don't really know what to do at this point. I want to start my mentoring but I'm both nervous about how I can perform (I get nervous when put on the spot) and I really don't want the TL to know that I'm receiving training. But yeah, just venting I guess. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
You get trained after being signed off and put into position. What they are looking for is the traits of being a leader, and if you are able to handle being challenged. I have two TMs that tell me they want to be a TL, so I’m giving them a lot more responsibility within the work center. One of them arguably isn’t cut out for being a leader, but as I told them, if they want to go through the process, I’m willing to develop and guide them through it.

Basically you shouldn’t be too worried about the situation. If you want to be a TL, let them develop you. Usually being given a DEO is a positive sign.

Just be frank with your ETL and say “if you want me to be a TL, what are we doing to achieve that goal? Am I going to be put on the bench?” Stuff like that I guess. Just try to get some transparency, it seems like you are worrying a lot because you don’t really know what’s going on.

My fav TL has been upset and also underperforming recently. It's obvious that they are unhappy with her work performance. She told me today she wants a different job and she has been acting weird towards me. I'm starting to wonder if they're preparing me to take her place. I don't want to take HER place (honestly love her to pieces. she's a great person). I don't really know what to do at this point.
I wouldn’t put it past them to be lining you up to take your TL’s place. Just bear in mind that if they will do that to her, they will do it to you. It’s always good to know the type of people you are dealing with before you commit to anything.

I wouldn’t put it past them to be lining you up to take your TL’s place. Just bear in mind that if they will do that to her, they will do it to you. It’s always good to know the type of people you are dealing with before you commit to anything.
That is a very good point. This would be the second TL that my ETL has more or less pushed out the door since I started. First one they forced out was definetly cruel and unfair of them but then this TL honestly isn't doing great. I watched them stare at freight for a set for 2 hours before touching it, while being on the phone for a chunk of it. Don't know what made the TL start being like this cause they did not start out that way. At least it makes more sense with this one, though. But yeah, leadership at my store is very... cliquey.

Last edited:
Just be frank with your ETL and say “if you want me to be a TL, what are we doing to achieve that goal? Am I going to be put on the bench?” Stuff like that I guess. Just try to get some transparency, it seems like you are worrying a lot because you don’t really know what’s going on.
Don’t worry about “the bench”. I don’t k ow why that is such an issue here. You may interview and be placed immediately. Depends on openings and seems like there will be a lot in the future.

You get trained after being signed off and put into position. What they are looking for is the traits of being a leader, and if you are able to handle being challenged. I have two TMs that tell me they want to be a TL, so I’m giving them a lot more responsibility within the work center. One of them arguably isn’t cut out for being a leader, but as I told them, if they want to go through the process, I’m willing to develop and guide them through it.

Basically you shouldn’t be too worried about the situation. If you want to be a TL, let them develop you. Usually being given a DEO is a positive sign.
I see you got hunger games going on ..

Don’t worry about “the bench”. I don’t k ow why that is such an issue here. You may interview and be placed immediately. Depends on openings and seems like there will be a lot in the future.
Wait, are they going to fire all the current TLs😳😮?
What do you know? Please share.

If they are overtly offering to develop you, and you want to be a TL, take them up on it. ETLs have been known to change their minds, so the offer might not be on the table later. Also, at the risk of sounding cold, I would not take the other TL into your consideration on whether to take the development opportunity. They might be preparing you to take their place, they might not. Advancement in Target is, unfortunately, a zero-sum game. In order to advance, someone above you has to go.

Some stores really do care about that whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back