I was fired for breaking the team member purchase policy. What are the factors that are going to be stopping me from getting rehired?

So about 3 months ago I was terminated for purchasing a "fast-selling" item. This was against the team member purchase policy. Ever since then I've been trying to get my job back. I really liked the people I worked with and the environment of the store.
I've spoken with the store director who said that he would love to have me back as long as there were no technicalities. My team lead and ETL said similar things to me. I also spoke with the HR ETL but she told me that there was nothing that she is able to do in order to re-hire me.
From the research that I've done, I believe that the non-rehirable status is something that the HR ETL can easily overturn. I also heard that the background check is more of a criminal background check and not an employee screening. Other than that I don't really know too much about the hiring process. Is there anything else that would be preventing me from getting hired at my location again? If there is can you let me know so that I can make an effort to get that changed?

Thanks

I've heard TLs and ETLs at my store tell a former TM "sure, we'd love to have you back again!" when they really meant no such thing. Not saying that's for sure what you're experiencing, but Target leaders seem to be unable to just say some things plainly, especially if they think someone's feelings will be hurt.
The "technicality" standing in the way of you being rehired could very well be the policy violation. You didn't say how long you'd worked at Target before this happened or if there were any other violations or borderline stuff. I can see it possibly being allowed to slide if you'd been a long-term, otherwise excellent TM. Even then, I'd be surprised. But if you were still in your probationary period or there'd been other doubtful behaviors, that'd be a hard no, imo.

I've heard TLs and ETLs at my store tell a former TM "sure, we'd love to have you back again!" when they really meant no such thing. Not saying that's for sure what you're experiencing, but Target leaders seem to be unable to just say some things plainly, especially if they think someone's feelings will be hurt.
The "technicality" standing in the way of you being rehired could very well be the policy violation. You didn't say how long you'd worked at Target before this happened or if there were any other violations or borderline stuff. I can see it possibly being allowed to slide if you'd been a long-term, otherwise excellent TM. Even then, I'd be surprised. But if you were still in your probationary period or there'd been other doubtful behaviors, that'd be a hard no, imo.
I've worked at this Target for 1 and a half years idk if that is considered long-term in the target world but I've had no prior issues with anything. I had good attendance and was known and liked by all the team leads. I had a very good reputation at my store.

What will prevent you is that you broke a non-rehirable policy, period. You're in the system as one. HR-ETLs have a boss to answer to as well and why would they try to vouch for someone who broke policy just because they had a good reputation? Okay, now lets re-hire everyone else that broke policy and give them another chance too because that's only fair, right? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Sometimes the best way to learn a lesson is the hardest way. Take this as that and move on from Target. Sure it can be overturned if it was some sort of mistake, but it wasn't.

Too many people come on here with the same stories about breaking policy and wondering if they can be re-hired but you must know that because you said you have done your research. Did your research show any of them getting rehired? If not I think you have your answer.

I’ve heard the same at my store. More than once.

My advice find another job. I have heard of former Target folks getting rehired after termination but, it was after a long wait. Wait at least 6 months if, you still want to work for Target apply and see what happens. Pestering store leaders is not going to get your job back. Leaders have made up their minds give up for now. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.

I've worked at this Target for 1 and a half years idk if that is considered long-term in the target world but I've had no prior issues with anything. I had good attendance and was known and liked by all the team leads. I had a very good reputation at my store.
I'd call 1 1/2 years semi-long-term, given how many TMs last only a few months. Not long-term though, that's more like 5+ years imo.

Here's the thing about good reputations: they take a long time to build and a very short time to destroy. You destroyed yours by acting against clear company policy., which, after 1 1/2 years, you should have been very well aware of, especially since you've worked at least one Christmas season when a lot of those hot sellers are available. While I don't know it to be a fact, I'd be surprised if this wasn't a typical policy across the retail industry. The policy you admit to violating isn't a gray area like dress code can be or not showing up for a shift once because you made a mistake with your schedule. Buying a hot seller outside the guidelines for doing so is a major thing for someone working retail.

I used to work HR in a different industry; if a fired employee kept bugging me or other office staff for another chance, it wouldn't make me look more favorably upon them. Giving the fired person another chance would put ME on the spot if they violated ANY other policy, no matter how minor. Nope, I wouldn't take that chance. Take this as a lesson learned and move on.

I'd call 1 1/2 years semi-long-term, given how many TMs last only a few months. Not long-term though, that's more like 5+ years imo.

Here's the thing about good reputations: they take a long time to build and a very short time to destroy. You destroyed yours by acting against clear company policy., which, after 1 1/2 years, you should have been very well aware of, especially since you've worked at least one Christmas season when a lot of those hot sellers are available. While I don't know it to be a fact, I'd be surprised if this wasn't a typical policy across the retail industry. The policy you admit to violating isn't a gray area like dress code can be or not showing up for a shift once because you made a mistake with your schedule. Buying a hot seller outside the guidelines for doing so is a major thing for someone working retail.

I used to work HR in a different industry; if a fired employee kept bugging me or other office staff for another chance, it wouldn't make me look more favorably upon them. Giving the fired person another chance would put ME on the spot if they violated ANY other policy, no matter how minor. Nope, I wouldn't take that chance. Take this as a lesson learned and move on.
Well said.

the first time i asked if it was possible to get rehired and the second time i asked what was blocking me from getting rehired
The fact that you bought something they didn’t think you had the right to buy. They’re not going to rehire someone they fired.
They don’t trust you now. If they thought you could learn from it, they wouldn’t have fired you.
They fired you, they don’t care if you learn from it.

You’re done.

you can find better. a lot of the people on this site are a little too ride or die for a company that doesnt actually care about them 💀

Oh well! Learning experience. It's best to move on from target.

I'm assuming you worked Starbucks since Barista is in your name. If you liked your job, apply to a local standalone Starbucks store. You're likely to get more tips anyway. Sure, they don't have the Stanley cups (;)), but there's more important things in life.

Last edited:
Genuinely curious, you say that you've spoken with leadership from your old store. Did you speak to them by phone or in-person?

I also have to wonder if non-rehireable status is something that is "easy to overturn". I would think that it shouldn't be because it should be reserved for team members who are caught doing something really bad or dangerous (theft, repeated compliance, not using equipment safely, etc.).

I would try to move on and apply to other retail stores in your area since I think it's unlikely that your status would be overturned.

I hesitate to chime in, but barista232 I suggest you apply at other businesses for employment. Theoretically, five or ten years from now, if you have a satisfactory or even good work history, then there's a chance Target might re-hire you under the right circumstances. That kind of scenario can happen. But not now. Consider you have many good employment options, many of which may pay better or offer better benefits.

Back