I wish I could visit a $85 mil + volume store.

My store would be one. We topped $85m last year, and will definitely exceed that this year.

We don't have slow days anymore. Not since COVID.

It seems to me the extra help wouldn't offset the extra freight and work, give me low volume anyday
It does though. Well, what I should say is... the higher the volume, the stronger the magnification of the leadership effectiveness as a collective.

Really high volume stores are typically disaster zones or really well run.

Be careful what you wish for......

We are the highest volume store in our group (not $85 mil, more like ~65 pushing 70). Unless you have a stellar leadership team, it is very easy to get behind and almost impossible to catch up without support from other stores, mainly due to the constant influx of freight. Yes, you have more TMs and more payroll, but not always in proportion to the increased workload (at least in my experience). ASANTS though.

It seems to me the extra help wouldn't offset the extra freight and work, give me low volume anyday
I’ve worked in both and once you get to like 80-90 M it gets easier. The payroll and resources are unreal. Even on the worst days you have so many people to just throw at the problem is easy to pick up. The mid volume stores I’ve worked in have been the hardest and they’re a lot more fragile.

I'm in a HV store. It's busy, especially during holidays or inclimate weather, but tbh, I honestly don't notice it since I became my store's main line buster. The biggest problem our store has is Call outs / NCNS, which on a bad day can be absolutely miserable because the SETLs are basically begging for backup all day. I like it though. I've been to a few other Spots in my area that are low to mid volume and have discovered that I'm happy with my current store, even if it can go into super clusterfuck mode at times.

I'm in a HV store. It's busy, especially during holidays or inclimate weather, but tbh, I honestly don't notice it since I became my store's main line buster. The biggest problem our store has is Call outs / NCNS, which on a bad day can be absolutely miserable because the SETLs are basically begging for backup all day. I like it though. I've been to a few other Spots in my area that are low to mid volume and have discovered that I'm happy with my current store, even if it can go into super clusterfuck mode at times.
HOW MANY REGISTERS AND SCOS DO YOU HAVE?

The largest Target store in the United States as of 2021 is located in Annapolis, Maryland. This store is listed as being over 200,000 square feet in area, compared to the typically sized Target store which is usually averaged at around 130,000 square feet.

If you want to learn more about the difference between a normal Target and a SuperTarget, which city and state have the most Target stores, and much more, keep on reading!

How Big Is The Biggest Target Store?​

The largest Target store is just over 200,000 square feet whereas the largest SuperTarget is located in Hoover, Alabama, and measures at around 191,000 square feet, with almost 4.5 acres under one roof.

In addition to that, the Target store located in The Valley Forge Shopping Center in King of Prussia (Pennsylvania) is measured at approximately 165,000 square feet.

The largest Target store in the United States as of 2021 is located in Annapolis, Maryland. This store is listed as being over 200,000 square feet in area, compared to the typically sized Target store which is usually averaged at around 130,000 square feet.

If you want to learn more about the difference between a normal Target and a SuperTarget, which city and state have the most Target stores, and much more, keep on reading!

How Big Is The Biggest Target Store?​

The largest Target store is just over 200,000 square feet whereas the largest SuperTarget is located in Hoover, Alabama, and measures at around 191,000 square feet, with almost 4.5 acres under one roof.

In addition to that, the Target store located in The Valley Forge Shopping Center in King of Prussia (Pennsylvania) is measured at approximately 165,000 square feet.
Both of these stores are local to me and I can tell you the Annapolis store is insane.

One thing I can tell you after working in a UHV store and ULV stores is that they both present unique challenges.

One major MAJOR challenge is the physical size and design of the backroom.

A much larger backroom that is well designed can make your freight process much easier, and in reverse a small, poorly designed backroom can truly screw you.

I had a ULV store that struggled with 5 trucks a week because it was just impossible to stay organized, there was so little space.

What exactly do you want to compare? I work in the busiest Chicago store, which is one of the busiest Targets in the country. For a while, we were always in competition with Brooklyn in NY for the #1 spot, but I'm sure other stores have overtaken the top spots, though not certain.
As far as registers, we have 20 registers and 20 self-checkouts. We get two trucks and a p-fresh truck every single night. Some days we get a 3rd truck with the p-fresh. During the holiday season, triples are the norm, and four trucks are not rare. So we have a pretty giant overnight team. Sometimes we get 3 trucks overnight and another two trucks will show up during the day LOL those early Covid days were rough! We have about 230-240 TM's, and we're still hiring, LOL. I don't know the exact number, but we have around 25 team leaders and about 12 ETL's.

What exactly do you want to compare? I work in the busiest Chicago store, which is one of the busiest Targets in the country. For a while, we were always in competition with Brooklyn in NY for the #1 spot, but I'm sure other stores have overtaken the top spots, though not certain.
As far as registers, we have 20 registers and 20 self-checkouts. We get two trucks and a p-fresh truck every single night. Some days we get a 3rd truck with the p-fresh. During the holiday season, triples are the norm, and four trucks are not rare. So we have a pretty giant overnight team. Sometimes we get 3 trucks overnight and another two trucks will show up during the day LOL those early Covid days were rough! We have about 230-240 TM's, and we're still hiring, LOL. I don't know the exact number, but we have around 25 team leaders and about 12 ETL's.
Holy smokes!

green/blue? we have we have 10 checklanes, 4 scos nd we're ulv to lowvlume.
Green and Blue refer to old nomenclature from the Greatland/Early Super days, pre 2006, when the Grocery Doors were Green and the GM doors were Blue. All stores with colored doors should have/will get them recolored in the current remodel that has been going on in stores since 2017.

I don’t know what some of these people are talking about but I’ve worked in 100+m, 85+m, and a small format store where your team members have to do multiple departments.

Small format is incredibly easy in comparison to me. People saying you have plenty of resources to toss at problems in a big store is news to me. You never have what you really need. The difference is I noticed huge stores make leaders resilient. They’re better at quickly putting out fires and adapting because every day is a battle.

When I was at a small format store it was so easy. I’ll take that over unloading 4 trucks in one day, dawn of the dead lines, guest fighting, picking 6000+ units of ship, trying to maintain metrics with so much freight beating you in the head, etc. Low Volume store do have their own challenges though. Don’t think it’ll be all sweet. I just didn’t find any of the challenges that difficult because of my experience in bigger stores

One thing is for sure though, it’s not boring at least.

Fully remodeling a $90m store is what I just did and Jesus Christ…BRUTALITY!

Last edited:
That Brooklyn store is my original store.

I don’t know what some of these people are talking about but I’ve worked in 100+m, 85+m, and a small format store where your team members have to do multiple departments.

Small format is incredibly easy in comparison to me. People saying you have plenty of resources to toss at problems in a big store is news to me. You never have what you really need. The difference is I noticed huge stores make leaders resilient. They’re better at quickly putting out fires and adapting because every day is a battle.

When I was at a small format store it was so easy. I’ll take that over unloading 4 trucks in one day, dawn of the dead lines, guest fighting, picking 6000+ units of ship, trying to maintain metrics with so much freight beating you in the head, etc. Low Volume store do have their own challenges though. Don’t think it’ll be all sweet. I just didn’t find any of the challenges that difficult because of my experience in bigger stores

One thing is for sure though, it’s not boring at least.

Fully remodeling a $90m store is what I just did and Jesus Christ…BRUTALITY!

Did you have issues with shortage of fixtures (assuming it was around COVID time)? That had to be rough

Did you have issues with shortage of fixtures (assuming it was around COVID time)? That had to be rough

Yeah a lot of missing fixtures but luckily for me ours wasn’t as bad as others in that regard. We’re missing stuff but nothing that greatly hindered things. Some stores in this flight got hit hard with missing fixtures and delays on orders. The big issue I encountered was the type of job we were doing. Polished concrete flooring in a store with possibly the worst underlayment. Every single thing in the store had to be touched and time tables were all over the place because of the flooring. On top of that going to the topic, the store is 90+m so we were taking in a ton of freight during this time.

I’m hearing some Flight 5 remodels might get delayed because of COVID’s affect on fixtures.

I’m hearing some Flight 5 remodels might get delayed because of COVID’s affect on fixtures.
I hope so cause current stores can't order anything we need. Target expects us to magically have everything. I'm hoping they send us some sticky dividers for HBA transition. We are completely out.

7x11 signs are currently being taped on shelves because Target is being stingy with holders. I think we only got one box this year. It could be due to shortage but still sucks.

Last edited:
Back