Archived If you had to list the most important job to the least in your store, how would it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're all a "team" but if you had to rank positions in the store from most to least (not district/dc) in order of importance, how would you do it?

I'd say

Flow (cant make money if nothing gets to the floor)
Cashiers (gotta take that cash)
Backroom (gotta keep the stock nice and neat)
Guess Service
Pricing/Signing
Sales Floors
Market/Pharm/Starbucks (store by store basis)
Softlines
Cart Attendant

no gonna include TL's and such.

This is why some stores suck as much as they do. Positions aren't ranked. Each position has an equal responsibility in ensuring that guests have a good experience. Flow team is just as valuable and important as guest services, who is just as important as plano, who is equally as important as the cashiers, similarly for the ETL's, STL, AP, etc.

You had it right at first. It's a TEAM. Don't you notice that when one tiny part of the team is slacking in their duties, the entire store suffers? You're only as strong as the weakest link.

Pricing can't do their job without flow first doing theirs..CA has to do their job to allow guests to actually get product out of the store.

And RX? At my store, at least, RX does between 15-20% of the store's daily sales. They're pretty important, I think.

:mad: Sorry, but this post makes me really upset.

Don't let it get to you.
We've had countless threads talking about which areas are the most difficult/easiest/important/fill in with your favorite adjective.
But you're right.....it's a TEAM.

Difficult or easier I could deal with, even though it's subjective - but to rank different positions on importance is absolutely idiotic. Let's see the store run without the operator or guest services or the cart attendant. That store wouldn't be open for very long.

I can get by being down a cashier...it isn't pleasant, but we figure it out. But being without a cart attendant right now makes for a very miserable day as a GSA. It makes me look forward to 4th quarter when we get those hours back....seriously.

Sorry! My rude comment was in responce to the OP. I hope I've deleted it. The attitude of, "This position is more important than that one" more than upsets me. It makes me really angry.

As others have said, those positions constitute a team, not a hierarchy. The hierarchy consists of TLs, ETLs, STL, etc.

I think if you opened a store and left the positions you ranked on the bottom, the "nonessentials," you'd have a disaster area on your hands..

Also, I thought SL TMs were technically sales floor TMs? I don't get why you separated them... Though I don't get why you made the list to begin with.

Sorry! My rude comment was in responce to the OP. I hope I've deleted it. The attitude of, "This position is more important than that one" more than upsets me. It makes me really angry.
Whoops, didn't mean to make you guys mad. I really didn't people would so upset over this. I'm really saying. I was expecting posts along the lines of "Well, we work hard too such as" or "Well in my store, X team is given more help to make sure they finish"

When I used to work at Six Flags as a Cleaning supervisor, we never really got respect like the food/ride/games workers. Our manger would then tell us that no matter how cheap the games were, how good the food is, or how fun the rides no one would come at all if the park was dirty. It kinda showed where the backbone of the store was.

My brother works at another Target, but they only get like 2 trucks a week, all they do is unload it. Sales Floor will then push it later in the day. In that store Sales Floor would be "more" important to the store due to putting the product out in addition to their other duties.

I think if you opened a store and left the positions you ranked on the bottom, the "nonessentials," you'd have a disaster area on your hands..

Also, I thought SL TMs were technically sales floor TMs? I don't get why you separated them... Though I don't get why you made the list to begin with.
That's how it is im my store for some reason. You can literately apply online for "Softlines TM." You pretty much stay there the whole shift and fold, dressing room and such. I haven't been with Target too long so I don't know all the Lingo

Sales floor is so general.. I'm a Perishables Assistant and fall under sales floor, yet if I am terrible at my job, there is a chance people can get sick, or worse die.

Obviously Greg is number one! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Only at being an a$$....

A little off-topic: It was once said the 3 most important jobs in society were doctors, teachers & sanitation workers.
Many could see the logic of the first 2 but you had to remember the herds of vermin during the NY garbage workers' strike to understand the 3rd.

Your list is backwards because cart attendants (or anyone who can perform as such) is supremely important for preventing your GSAs from wanting to hang themselves.

There's room for argument on difficulty/complexity/level of training required and a bunch of other things, but there's nobody on my team I would term non-essential based on their role. Their work ethic or attitude or performance sometimes, yeah, but every role is important.

This is the time of year where that becomes especially clear as holes aren't filled and the store is running on a skeleton crew to begin with. Hell I was the only salesfloor TM on the floor today in my store except for FRO & electronics until..1 or 2 PM? I had PA stuff to do and you better believe I wished I had others on the floor so I wasn't having to run from the produce cooler to home improvement to clear call buttons.

Last edited:
As someone who has worked in almost every part of the store, I can safely say that no one particular role is more important than the next. As someone who once was a cart attendant, it is amazing to see how things start to fall apart without one. During the holiday, many days, we went without an opening cart attendant. We were usually running out of carts before noon. Other team members and leads (and even etls sometimes) had to rush out to get carts. Same with carry-outs. And getting abandons/baskets/hanger. And the trash over-flowing. This in turn screws up what those team members have to do as well. And all of these problems that can arise if a CA isn't there can and will negatively impact the customer's experience.

After seeing your reply, op, I'm thinking you were wondering which roles leadership seems to view as more important in our stores. I think people outside of SL in my store underestimate the importance of our fitting room attendant. And tsc/hr, cart attendants, and oddly cashiers are low on the totem pole. I'm basing this on how much their hours have dropped. Based on the schedules, flow, instocks (or whatever it's actually called) and price change are favored. I think they drop cashiers' hours just because they get all "we can always call backup." On the weekends, if I continue basing this on the schedules, we're all important again.

We get a truck every morning. So there's a pretty good chance at some point in time sales floor people will be doing push.

Blame any mistakes or typos on my phone.

Sales floor is so general.. I'm a Perishables Assistant and fall under sales floor, yet if I am terrible at my job, there is a chance people can get sick, or worse die.

Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

How is it most of you rate a cart attendant so low? Maybe it's just me. I obviously bring carts in, but I also:

-Empty hanger bins at the lanes
-Build new hanger boxes in the back room
-Check restrooms
-Cover GSTL/GSA breaks
-Cover Food Ave breaks
-Cover Guest Service Breaks
-Do carryout's and carry in's for returns
-Backup as a first responder to the lanes, guest services, and food avenue as needed
-Clear all tubs, flats, and 3 tiers from the check lanes
-Manage Garbage
-Take all of Guest Services Salvage/CRC's/Food/Pet/Paper Donations/and Vendor Pickups to the backroom and sort them throughout the day
-AND I just instinctively do reshop or help with pulls without being asked if I'm all caught up (not that often, but when I can I do to help out).

I'm not trying to gloat about it. I just get angered a tad when LOD's wonder why you weren't able to stay on top of restroom checkups when you're doing all this other work. I will say I'm the only CA that seems to balance all of these when I'm scheduled as a CA.

I dunno if I'd say most of us, all the GSAs love our cart attendants when we have them available (since several of us are ULV, that means 4Q and maybe weekends :( ). I will say though my CAs only generally do these of what you listed:

-Empty hanger bins at the lanes
-Do carryout's and carry in's for returns
-Backup as a first responder to the lanes, guest services, and food avenue as needed
-Clear all tubs, flats, and 3 tiers from the check lanes (maybe occasionally)
-Manage Garbage

Want to transfer to my store? :D

Your list is backwards because cart attendants (or anyone who can perform as such) is supremely important for preventing your GSAs from wanting to hang themselves.

There's room for argument on difficulty/complexity/level of training required and a bunch of other things, but there's nobody on my team I would term non-essential based on their role. Their work ethic or attitude or performance sometimes, yeah, but every role is important.

This is the time of year where that becomes especially clear as holes aren't filled and the store is running on a skeleton crew to begin with. Hell I was the only salesfloor TM on the floor today in my store except for FRO & electronics until..1 or 2 PM? I had PA stuff to do and you better believe I wished I had others on the floor so I wasn't having to run from the produce cooler to home improvement to clear call buttons.
im not trying to say that any one position is better then any other however, at least in my store, the cart attendants, (when we have them cough cough never hack hack) are the powerhouses because we are expected to do everything. from reshop to zone to cover front end breaks to electronics to bathrooms and trash and still have all the carts in by close. At least to us we are the life blood because any night we don't have one scheduled were there substantially longer then when we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back