Archived i'm growing to despise the front end....

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a sales floor team member, i am growing to hate the front end. i'm trying not too, but it's getting really hard. i use to have no problem backing up the lanes, but that was when cashiers would come out and help us zone at night. or cashiers would help work stray. or whatever. now it's just the sales floor backing up the lanes over and over again. And when we are not doing that, it's bringing an item up to the service desk/checklane. or coming to get an item from a check lane/service desk. it's insane.

Odds are that's a situation caused by shorting of hours up at the front leaving them with less cashiers than needed to keep things running smoothly at X hour of the day. I know this because my front end hasn't been shorted in months. Every time someone has to take a break or a lunch things go to hell, not to even mention taking away people to take the stupid BTS or reviews.

Back in the day (wayyy back in 2008) we used to help out tons, but the most I've done recently has been zoning jewelry one night 4 weeks ago... Trust me, we'd rather be helping y'all do little things that you may not have time to worry about. But when you have 1 at the SD and 1 on a checklane from 7-close, there's not an option. We (or I, at least) appreciate the sales floor help we get every day, so I'm sure your front end does as well :)
All the cut hours the sales floor team has experienced has impacted the front as well, but the problem is that traffic hasn't decreased (just like your workload), so even getting by during a slower period of time is harder than normal. It's rare that we get a chance to zone the checklanes, let alone zone one spot and x9 along with stocking registers, closing SD, and general cleaning. It's rough

im sure our front end team appreciate when we come up, i just don't think any of the people at the front end understand what it's like to be on the floor, same with our gstl's. i feel like the front end leaders minus the etl-ge, have this missunderstanding that the sales floor is overstaffed, and able to send up 4-5 people at any time we can.

When I was a cashier, I always offered to help with re-shop and whatnot whenever it was quiet at the lanes. Our DTL decided that cashiers shouldn't leave the lanes anymore, so now the whole team thing is one-sided. There have been days when I've spent more than half of a hardlines shift back-up cashing.

The thing I hate is when the people paid to watch the front, don't. We are called up so many times when we aren't needed.

Yes! I cant tell you how many times Ive come up from the back of the store or something and there is seriously no one in line. Its a huge waste of my time. Whenever they call for backup, and I am close, I will usually peak my head around if I am able to see the lanes before I respond. If i can clearly see there is no one up there, I wont respond. It seems sometimes too though the cashiers get a little out of line with the additional assistance button. One cashier will push it every time there is more than one person in his line, seriously chill out!!

I agree with @Triscuit!! Lately I've been in chems which is literally at the back of the store, when they call for back ups by the time I get there my GSTL tells me I'm not needed!! And when I do go to the front lanes I spend at least 30 mins up there. I can't get the zoning done because I'm at the front most of the time.

This is why the GSA/GSTL should get on walkie and say "Cancel" or "Can I get X number up here?" when the additional assistance is pushed. I know I've pushed it accidentally. I also think that there should be more walkies available to use for the cashiers. I am no idiot and I am perfectly capable of using a walkie to ask for DCPI, a carry out, ect. instead of waiting for the GSA/GSTL for 2+ minutes.

It's not surprising when no one from the backroom wants to respond to additional assistance calls. Other day I was on softlines and had 3 sections to do. I spent 1 1/2 hours doing backups throughout the shift. My sections all looked like hell at the end of the night. I guess to Target it is not worth paying a measly $8.00/hr (we all know thats what they like to pay) for a few extra cashiers. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

The thing I hate is when the people paid to watch the front, don't. We are called up so many times when we aren't needed.

Yes! I cant tell you how many times Ive come up from the back of the store or something and there is seriously no one in line. Its a huge waste of my time. Whenever they call for backup, and I am close, I will usually peak my head around if I am able to see the lanes before I respond. If i can clearly see there is no one up there, I wont respond. It seems sometimes too though the cashiers get a little out of line with the additional assistance button. One cashier will push it every time there is more than one person in his line, seriously chill out!!

It's because the GSTL/GSA isn't paying attention - either they're stuck at Guest Service or they're just a lazy [insert insult here]. The rule for the front lanes is 1+1. If the GSTL can't keep the lanes from exceeding 1+1 by speedweaving, they need to call for a back-up.

When I was a cashier, I would use the button often because my line would exceed 1+1 and a couple of our GSAs would be chatting at Guest Service instead of watching the lanes and speedweaving. One of our ETLs started asking if they needed back-up instead of immediately demanding a response from the sales floor.

Most of the time when that happens it's because I'm already on a lane, call for backup, and then get mobbed by people responding from out of the woodwork. I usually try and estimate what I'll need but it's pretty unusual for me not to be on a lane for half my shift because at best I'll have 2 cashiers during the busiest times of day :(

Most of the time when that happens it's because I'm already on a lane, call for backup, and then get mobbed by people responding from out of the woodwork. I usually try and estimate what I'll need but it's pretty unusual for me not to be on a lane for half my shift because at best I'll have 2 cashiers during the busiest times of day :(

Reason #86,429,387 why I'm glad I don't work in a ULV. At least you have a good excuse though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back