Archived I'm not happy anymore as a TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I originally applied to be an ETL, go through the interview process and never end up meeting with the DTL, but another STL instead, who hires me as a TL..I was excited when I first started because it was all a challenge and I want to get promoted. However, anymore it seems as if the leadership expectations of me are constantly moving (I'm a somewhere in hardlines). I know I'm not doing a great job of managing my time, but I don't know exactly how to address what area I'm burning time in......

Just wondering if anyone has gone through any rough patches and if so, how did you correct them?

Theses changes had recently happen to spot, within the last 6 months. Spot is trying streamline everything for once in a blue moon. It has not happened in my district. But reported here via multi threads by others.
If you have a degree, they didn't offer a senior tl job to you? Other non retail jobs, maybe a better option for you.
As a tl, pay less, more responsibility to run the team. It's a bad thing, right now.

Last edited:
It is difficult to promote within Spot, but for good reason. If you are a TL and put into a difficult situation (broken area, broken store etc) and cannot turn it around, they would rather you get weeded out at that level than on the ETL level. At Target, you WILL run into problem stores (quite often actually) and you need to have the chops to fix it. Target only wants people to promote if they have what it takes to go to promote all the way. If you cannot figure out how to fix Hardlines, and then promote to ETL-Log and the store is even more broken, you will fail even harder at that level. The same standard is applied to ETLs. Plenty quit because they hit an area they cannot fix, and then fail. This is actually a good thing, because at the ETL level Target wants people who can become STLs. If an ETL cannot even manage their area, it is better they quit at that point than at the STL level when they hit a store they cannot fix, or at the DTL level when there is a district they cannot fix etc...

If you want to be an ETL, become a great TL... Think on a bigger scope on how to get your work done and own the solution. An ETL is in charge of multiple TLs, and would need to think on an even bigger level... If you want to promote you will need to own the solution.

I'm going through an extremely rough patch right now and have thought of leaving. The only reason I stay most days is because I have a decent support team and need the money. I wish I could give you a positive speech but I can't. This company has gone so far down the hill that I don't relate to it anymore. And this is coming from someone who's been here a long time.

I'm new-in-role as a TL and I've had a very difficult adjustment period. My ETL assures me a lot of it stems from coming into the position as we hit fourth quarter. My plan is just to survive through January 15th with a smile on my face, try to be as positive as possible for my team, and try to reassess and regroup in January when it might be easier and less chaotic to determine my strengths/weaknesses in the role. The recent news this week has not made my job any easier. :)

Same here. Started as a GSTL in September.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Feel free to vent, ask questions, answer questions. or just come by to hang out.

Things could get better you did start at the worst quarter of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back