Archived Incoming Sr. TL - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hello all - so I recently got promoted to a Sr. TL in a new small format store that will be opening soon. I am not yet out of my old store, don't know where I will be going to train (I really haven't been told much but I am sure as Q4 winds down I will be hearing more).

Here is where I need advice. I have been with the company for 17 years (in the same store, no less). There really isn't anything I don't know procedure wise and work center wise. I want to make sure I make the most of my training, and I don't want to come across to the training store as if I know everything. At the same time I don't want to be bored because it's stuff I already know. Just kind of want to know where to start and how to make the most of the three months I will be in a training store.

3 months or training? Are SrTLs in small format stores required to do business college? If so, you won't be trained on tasky stuff, so it won't be repetitive in that sense.

3 months or training? Are SrTLs in small format stores required to do business college? If so, you won't be trained on tasky stuff, so it won't be repetitive in that sense.

Not sure, as I said I don't know much and I haven't looked to see if there is an actual learning plan on the training site. My current STL said three months. I have known since November that I was moving but there were building issues so the opening of the new store isn't until later this year, so I am really not sure how the process will go. Typically when I went out for regular TL positions I was in a store for a week so this is uncharted territory for me.

I'd look at the learning plan for LOD to see what you need to know

All ETLs have to go through business college before going to ther new store, and since there are no ETLs at small-format stores, I'm betting the seniors of small-format stores need to go to business college. Us seniors at regular stores don't do any training that takes close to 3 months, it's basically "don't forget to lock the doors at night" and that's it for training.

I would try to keep an open mind. A lot of times people have a different way of doing things. It might be a better way and things you could implement.

Maybe they're just sending you out for training for so long since the new store isn't ready, and you'll just be an extra TL helping out after you learn the LOD stuff.

All ETLs have to go through business college before going to ther new store, and since there are no ETLs at small-format stores, I'm betting the seniors of small-format stores need to go to business college. Us seniors at regular stores don't do any training that takes close to 3 months, it's basically "don't forget to lock the doors at night" and that's it for training.
You forgot, "and set the alarms"

You forgot, "and set the alarms"

"Try to make sure nobody is still in the store first"

I would try to keep an open mind. A lot of times people have a different way of doing things.

Or take this as an opportunity to take over the world implement a new set of best practices in a new store based on your skills & experience.

Take in everything they give you. When I promoted from ap to a leadership role I knew most of the stuff already and breezed through training (mainly because it was right before black friday) and it was one of my downfalls. Start off from the start and make sure that you really know the ins and outs of everything they show you. If you weren't a team lead before, make sure that you are really familiar with the coaching/CA process. A majority of what you will be doing at that new store will be focused on day to day operations and talent management. Anyone can learn to run a store but it takes a bit more to learn how to manage the team so that you can accomplish even more together.

I work at a small format store and you’ll be coded as a TargetExpress Team Leader. You get more access than a standard Sr. Team Leader. You can pull up time cards, attendance detailed reports, and clock in whenever you need to without an override. It’s weird. At these stores, you need to focus even more on developing the team so they can execute. It’s so crucial in order for these stores to succeed.

I work at a small format store and you’ll be coded as a TargetExpress Team Leader. You get more access than a standard Sr. Team Leader. You can pull up time cards, attendance detailed reports, and clock in whenever you need to without an override. It’s weird. At these stores, you need to focus even more on developing the team so they can execute. It’s so crucial in order for these stores to succeed.

Thank you!! One of the other new small format stores that is opening soon is having their plan-o-rama next month and the leadership team of my new store has been asked to participate. It will be the first time I meet all of the other Sr. TLs that will be with me in my new store. Hopefully I will get a chance to talk to some other people in that situation. None of my current ETLs have any clue about the small format stores so no one can answer any of my (endless) questions. Thanks for shedding some light!

Not sure, as I said I don't know much and I haven't looked to see if there is an actual learning plan on the training site. My current STL said three months. I have known since November that I was moving but there were building issues so the opening of the new store isn't until later this year, so I am really not sure how the process will go. Typically when I went out for regular TL positions I was in a store for a week so this is uncharted territory for me.

We have a small format store that got pushed back an entire year too!

Thank you!! One of the other new small format stores that is opening soon is having their plan-o-rama next month and the leadership team of my new store has been asked to participate. It will be the first time I meet all of the other Sr. TLs that will be with me in my new store. Hopefully I will get a chance to talk to some other people in that situation. None of my current ETLs have any clue about the small format stores so no one can answer any of my (endless) questions. Thanks for shedding some light!

Hey thought I would chime in since I’m currently in the process of switching over from a long time (8+yrs) Gstl at a high volume store to a new flex format sr-tl (store isn’t open yet but it’s close ) ... so I went to train at an existing target express/small format for the past 2-3 weeks and I used the time to train on everything not front end related .. you need the training on receiving (transfers,vendors,akwknowleding the truck etc ) you will most likely have a large food area in your flex store most do you so you will need to get your basic food training and leading a team to push a p fresh truck and or a general merchandise truck as you will be the lod in every sense of the word at the small format store and most of your team (non leadership ) will be brand new so you have to teach them every single process you can and you will have to be more global in every sense of the word .. it’s a culture shock You take for granted what vast resources the large stores have When you have to execute every phase of the store on a day to day

Let me start off by saying Small Format stores are much much better to work in than a normal store. I am currently a SrTL at a small format store and I've previously worked in high volume supers, low volume supers and mid-low volume pfresh stores (as well as support-helped through remodels and normal workload at many other types of stores). By far super targets (especially high volume ones) are the hardest stores to work/lead at. I have also trained and worked with many express team leads; as our group probably has seen more flex stores than any other group. Be prepared for small back rooms and weird things that are specific to store use. Oh and you get a cool different mysupport options that get responded faster and in my opinion by better people.

The biggest bummer is yes you do have a smaller team, but the workload is incredibly less as well. Our GM trucks are less than 500 pieces, food trucks are usually less than 200. Its not like your getting 3k gm trucks or anything.

The some of the daily processes are much different and if your opening a new store make sure you reach out to other small formats for advice on those processes that differ (Like logistics and front end).

I love working at a small format store and I don't want to go back to a big store. Best part: you only report to an STL, so much better than having 3-7 ETLs.

Edited for some grammar mistakes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back