Archived Interviewing for TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I've been with target for over a year now, was approached by one of my etls a month ago about working on my development. He told me he saw me as a really strong team member, pictured me starting out as GSA. Since then I've done both cashier and sales floor shifts. Watching the lanes, vibing, red cards, promoting get appy, a tiny bit of guest service, and splitting myself into a million pieces in order to help all over the store while still completing my own tasks. Recently I felt like my development has slowed down to a snails pace so I approached my senior etl and let her know I'm interested in moving up, I've been with target for over a year...I'd like to go for team lead. Within a day she had my leadership expectations printed out for me. I've been working on what my strengths are and my opportunity. I discussed them with her in weds, she also spoke with me about what the interview process is like. We finished out conversation with her telling me that there is an opening and an interview could be "sooner than I think".... She's going to speak with me again when I close with her this coming weds. Any advice? Insight? I have a handful of team leads and etls backing me but I'm curious as to what you awesome people here think.

Last edited:
Being approached is a good sign. They usually know who they want to promote before there's even any openings. Keep up the good work.

Hi all!

I've been with target for over a year now, was approached by one of my etls a month ago about working on my development. He told me he saw me as a really strong team member, pictured me starting out as GSA. Since then I've done both cashier and sales floor shifts. Watching the lanes, vibing, red cards, promoting get appy, a tiny bit of guest service, and splitting myself into a million pieces in order to help all over the store while still completing my own tasks. Recently I felt like my development has slowed down to a snails pace so I approached my senior etl and let her know I'm interested in moving up, I've been with target for over a year...I'd like to go for team lead. Within a day she had my leadership expectations printed out for me. I've been working on what my strengths are and my opportunity. I discussed them with her in weds, she also spoke with me about what the interview process is like. We finished out conversation with her telling me that there is an opening and an interview could be "sooner than I think".... She's going to speak with me again when I close with her this coming weds. Any advice? Insight? I have a handful of team leads and etls backing me but I'm curious as to what you awesome people here think.

They really aren't kidding about the sooner than you think part. I was told about an interview the day before the interview with no idea what area I'd be assigned to. Things will start moving very quickly with black friday and these last two months of the year. Be prepared for that to happen. Ask your etl to give you an interview and if you can ask your stl for one as well. There are going to be a lot of questions and the more of those from the packet that you can answer confidently the better. They want high level thinking. In this they are looking for what you are doing that is already TL. They want answers that have you working with multiple work centers and multiple levels of management. They want details but they don't want you to ramble on. Basically if you can get those interviews from your etl and stl, and then get feedback from what they think are your best answers along with suggestions. You'll be good to go. Have fun, be confident, knowledgeable and don't worry, the DTLs don't bite.

I've never really been afraid, whenever out stl is in the store everyone is always running around...freaking out and I feel like one of the only ones who remain calm. I've even walked straight up to him, shook his hand, and started a short conversation. I doubt I'll even be afraid of the dtl, I hope. Lol. I haven't practiced interviewing yet, just been reading through my core roles, and leadership expectations. One of the gstl I'm close with suggested I get a notebook and write in it, write my strengths, weaknesses, answers to questions I've been told I'll be asked, etc...so I can already have an idea as to what I'm going to say.

I'm confident in my abilities just a bit nervous because I don't know when an interview will happen or what it'll be like...

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Take a breath, smile and be yourself.
If that's not good enough, frell them.

I'm always myself and I always give 110% is just not knowing when the interview process will begin. I have confidence in my abilities to be a TL though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back