Archived Irregularities in the annual review

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayDots

Instocks TM
Been absent from the forum for a while. Forgive me if this has been discussed already and I should look back at previous threads.

Talking with other team members at my store, I've noticed some irregularities with the 2015 annual reviews at our store.

At first I thought it might be just my work center. I and the other instocks team members each got an IE, citing our failure to finish the research tasks consistently. This may have been understandable, had it not come after we spent months being told not to research anything because deliveries were not fully pushed and backstocked. I think there was actually a whole month where we weren't allowed to research at all for this reason, and we mostly spent our shifts pushing merchandise that had been bowled out into the aisles before our shifts began, then backstocking whatever couldn't be pushed out. Lately we've been allowed to spend the first few hours of our shifts actually researching, but that only started again after our reviews were written, so it seems our negative scores were based mostly on factors out of our control.

But I started to hear that team members in other work centers had similar reviews. One hardlines team member who has been at the store for ages, who has never (as far as I know) had any real conflict with anyone else at the store, who is always the first person to respond to guest calls and register backup calls even when he is not nearby, who covers all of electronics' breaks and holds doors for everyone and is generally indispensible, got a really negative review for reasons I can't even imagine. The whole backroom team reportedly received reviews that reprimanded them for failing to sign up any guests for red cards, which struck me as very strange because they hardly have any opportunities to walk out onto the sales floor while they're on the clock.

One team member I know, who was a TL before the store was reorganized a while back and used to get EX reviews, said she asked why her work was now considered to be of IE quality, and was told that the store can't afford to give out a lot of EX reviews and that if she continued as she was doing she may receive a better review next year. Could this be connected to a payroll issue? The store leadership has for a while now been pretty clear that they are finding it difficult to "make payroll." What is the likelyhood that this could bring down the store's average annual review scores for team members?

Been absent from the forum for a while. Forgive me if this has been discussed already and I should look back at previous threads.

Talking with other team members at my store, I've noticed some irregularities with the 2015 annual reviews at our store.

At first I thought it might be just my work center. I and the other instocks team members each got an IE, citing our failure to finish the research tasks consistently. This may have been understandable, had it not come after we spent months being told not to research anything because deliveries were not fully pushed and backstocked. I think there was actually a whole month where we weren't allowed to research at all for this reason, and we mostly spent our shifts pushing merchandise that had been bowled out into the aisles before our shifts began, then backstocking whatever couldn't be pushed out. Lately we've been allowed to spend the first few hours of our shifts actually researching, but that only started again after our reviews were written, so it seems our negative scores were based mostly on factors out of our control.

But I started to hear that team members in other work centers had similar reviews. One hardlines team member who has been at the store for ages, who has never (as far as I know) had any real conflict with anyone else at the store, who is always the first person to respond to guest calls and register backup calls even when he is not nearby, who covers all of electronics' breaks and holds doors for everyone and is generally indispensible, got a really negative review for reasons I can't even imagine. The whole backroom team reportedly received reviews that reprimanded them for failing to sign up any guests for red cards, which struck me as very strange because they hardly have any opportunities to walk out onto the sales floor while they're on the clock.

One team member I know, who was a TL before the store was reorganized a while back and used to get EX reviews, said she asked why her work was now considered to be of IE quality, and was told that the store can't afford to give out a lot of EX reviews and that if she continued as she was doing she may receive a better review next year. Could this be connected to a payroll issue? The store leadership has for a while now been pretty clear that they are finding it difficult to "make payroll." What is the likelyhood that this could bring down the store's average annual review scores for team members?
This is absolutely a payroll thing. Reviews at spot usually don't reflect your performance, but what the store's payroll can afford. And , in some instances it can be an ass kissing game, depending on your store.

Yes, you should get your review before you receive your raise. However, that same thing happened to me too. I decided to wait rather than say something. So last Friday, we got paid; I asked, "when do we get reviews?" I got a shocked look from HR and they hastily found someone to administer it. I hope the TL who dropped the ball gets their butt chewed for this.

Your store fitted reviews based on payroll not performance.

Yes. As others have said, absolutely a payroll thing. My ETL told me as much. She apologized for what little she was able to give me and said she had to fight to even be able to give me that. I heard another pharm TM talking about what he got and it was more than me. In his case, it's DEFINITELY not based on performance....

I was told I could only have 1 TL EX and 1 TM EX and that was a few years ago. Same went for the number to Es.

Yep, this is the way of things. Your review in most cases in no way reflects your performance at Target. It was one of the most frustrating things at Target to have to give a review to a team remember that was lower than it should be for no reason other than Target does not want to give out raises. Hey, you are doing great at everything, thanks for all your hard work and always stepping up to go above and beyond. Here is your E or IE score because Target is a terrible company. Have a great day.

And if your store overall is struggling in sales, comp over last year, Redcards, etc, then the scores will be lower across the board, with the thinking being that if everyone were really worthy of higher raises, then the store overall would have been doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back