Archived Is a pocket knife a weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course who the hell needs a pocket knife at work or even bring one to work .... there is box cutters!

It really depends on how large the knife is. If it's a small Swiss Army Multitool, I'd say it's fine. If it's a 4.5" Bowie automatic knife, then I'd say it's a weapon.
But as always ASANTS and all leaders are not the same.

Pretty much this. If it's small, on your keychain, or a multi-tool, it's probably okay.

If it's a folding knife or larger blade, maybe leave it at home.

People that want a guaranteed method to cut boxes, sometimes the public boxcutters are all taken.

For what it's worth; if I don't have a knife, I use keys on my keyring to cut boxes open.

When I'm off I wear a esee 3. Under state law I can legally conceal carry it. To me, it is a tool I use along with my multitool and flashlight I carry in a open top pouch on my opposite side.
One day I forgot to take it off and leave it in the car. Halfway through the day my ETL AP approached me and asked me what was on my belt. I explained that I forgot to take it off and exposed it to him. He asked why I was carrying a weapon? No matter what my explaination was of personal reasons or the law, he did not accept it and told me he wouldn't say anything if I immediately took it off and put it away. I even asked him what the difference was with my PMT carrying a folding knife of the extact same size, no logical response came to fruition.
PMTs are allowed to and are typically purchased by spot.

I carry a twin blade knife/boxcutter combo (switchblade) with me at work and have never had an issue, I just use the boxcutter part. Started bringing it cause I could never find a box cutter to use. I just don’t use it in front of ETLs or whatever, but I don’t think they would have a problem.

I just use my name badge edge as a boxcutter, and then borrow someone’s if absolutely necessary. I don’t know why, but it’s nice to not have to return another piece of equipment at the end of shifts aside from the walkie and rare MyDevies, because of where our boxcutters are stored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back