• Thread starter CrimsonRaven712
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrimsonRaven712

I just started working at Target, and I was wondering if once you get trained in one area do you automatically get scheduled to learn another? Since I am currently working back room in the AM I was considering looking for another part-time job to fill up my days, but I didn't want to do that if all of a sudden I was scheduled to cross train on another area that would alter my availability.

Currently I have my availability open until 4pm, but since I am back room I was told that we usually get done by 12:30 at the latest. I guess my question is mostly if cross training is optional? Since I can't officially change my availability for 90 days, would it be too risky to go by the typical hours a back room tm would usually work and just open up the hours available for another job. Sorry if this is kinda a stupid question, but it wasn't something that was really touched upon during orientation.

Cross-training is initiated by either a TM who wants to learn another area (cashier who is sick of cashing and wants to learn the sales floor) or a TL who wants one of their TMs to learn another area (GSTL wants cashier to learn Guest Service so they can help cover breaks and whatnot). If your leadership wants you to learn another workcenter, they'll let you know in one way or another. It doesn't happen automatically due to lack of training hours throughout most of the year, so it's usually discussed between the TM and their TL.

If you are interested in cross-training but don't want to change your availability, talk to your leadership about being trained in flow, plano, pricing, instocks, or receiving/reverse (someone has to cover their breaks). Those are all early morning workcenters.

When I was on a 4am truck process, most of the flow team had another job. As long as a) they don't interfere with Target scheduling and b) you're getting enough sleep to peform at Target well, go ahead and get another job, just let your team lead know. As long as Target is the priority job, there should be no problems.

Learning to work other areas than your primary workcenter are a core role.

Any time anyone offers you training in another area, take it!
It's a good way to pick up hrs when needed, you become more of an asset to the store & it shows a willingness to learn/grow.

Take any training you can get.
If nothing else it will help you understand the position you usually work better.

If you are interested in cross-training but don't want to change your availability, talk to your leadership about being trained in flow, plano, pricing, instocks, or receiving/reverse (someone has to cover their breaks). Those are all early morning workcenters.

No one ever covers my breaks. :sorry:

*me gives BrokenPDA a hug & one of TargetAnnie's cookies while covering rec/rev*

No one ever covers my breaks. :sorry:

What happens if a vendor comes while you're on lunch?

They have to wait! I know everyone in the world has a job to do but its funny when the vendors get mad when they show up during times in which we do not tell them to show up... Get here when we say we can take you and we will!

They have to wait! I know everyone in the world has a job to do but its funny when the vendors get mad when they show up during times in which we do not tell them to show up... Get here when we say we can take you and we will!

For that matter they have to wait to leave if they time it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back