Archived Is everyone getting their breaks? General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd estimate that Target probably owes me something like $200 for the breaks that I have forgotten to take/they refused to cover in the last decade or so.

I am a single track mind kind of guy. I once worked 9 hours straight without a break because nobody told me to, it's not that I was trying to do that, I just completely forgot to take a break. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people like that.

Everybody here knows I am the first person to support unions and organizing for peoples rights.
That said, if I make the choice to skip a break because I want to get something done, I'm an adult; as long as the company isn't using coercion to get me to do it everything should be fine.

I think there are various interests that would have use for this info, not necessarily related to labor organizing or litigation. That said, union folks would initially be interested in finding problem/vulnerable stores, I think. Litigation "prospectors", on the other hand, would be interested in problems that could arguably be rooted in general, company practices or policies. BTW, I'm not making any value judgments here. Target knows the risks, and they must operate accordingly, like every other major corporation. What role do TMs play in all of this? ... We're the pawns.

I get all my breaks (as a cart att. and gsa)
When I cart attend, I always skip my second break when I close.

Come in at 4, take 1st break at 6, then take lunch at 8, so my 2nd break would be around 10 but if I take that, then I probably could fall behind in filling the cart well.
I can't take my break earlier either because with the 9:30 restroom check and our safety walk, by the time I'm done it's already 10 and I'm already behind.

Juan, You are correct. Pawns in a bigger game. Mrice. At my store, the ca would what's a safety walk? Go get'em red!

Juan, You are correct. Pawns in a bigger game. Mrice. At my store, the ca would what's a safety walk? Go get'em red!
Safety walk is when I walk around the entire store with a broom and dustpan, picking up merchandise off the floor, sweeping any trash, looking for spills, and helping guests. CAs at my store have to do it after every restroom check so 30-45mins of the hour is spent on restrooms/safety walk.

It's actually ridiculous how we have to do all that AND keep carts filled or else we get chewed out for not having carts. Then we get asked for 1+1 and it makes all the CAs rage.

When I worked on the sales floor, I almost always got all of my breaks. There were a few exceptions though. Occasionally, I'd be scheduled Monday mornings during the TL meeting. A couple of times, they lasted so long, that I would miss my break because I had to cover the floor. As soon as the TL's got out, they all took thier breaks. By then, it was time for my lunch. I hated that. Or, if I was working a shift in Electronics, either as an opener or a mid, I'd often have to skip one of my breaks because the TL couldn't or wouldn't relieve me, and there were no other TM's around.

Now that I work AP, I'm (for the most part) on my own schedule, so I always get my breaks. Granted, there has been an occasion or two where I had to skip it because I was in the middle of a recovery or something, but that was really my own fault then.

Safety walk is when I walk around the entire store with a broom and dustpan, picking up merchandise off the floor, sweeping any trash, looking for spills, and helping guests. CAs at my store have to do it after every restroom check so 30-45mins of the hour is spent on restrooms/safety walk.

It's actually ridiculous how we have to do all that AND keep carts filled or else we get chewed out for not having carts. Then we get asked for 1+1 and it makes all the CAs rage.

if your store is LV or ULV that shouldn't be really hard though :)

Our store is kinda big. We have pfresh and are expected to walk into every corner and check every aisle which makes us backtrack as we have to go down the middle aisles.

After every restroom check, we have to call the gstl over to check it before we go to the next restroom. This can suck if the gstl is doing change requests or if they are on a lane. So by the time we do restrooms, wait for gstl to check, then do a safety walk, that's a good 30mins.

Then if we actually find a spill, or have to do 1+1, we have little time for carts. I wish we had a brand attendant or atleast got paid like one.

Last edited:
I guess its easy for most people to take breaks, but for me its like pulling teeth. I've actually been coached for "unnecessary tones" over the walkie while asking for my lunch (took 2 hours to take my lunch, which just so happened to be 5 minutes before going into compliance). I've also been told "No" while trying to take my 15. And i frequently get told to "wait a little bit longer till XXXX gets in so they can cover for you" when trying to take a 15, only to end my shift before they arrive.

Man i wish i could transfer >.<

FiFo, I got "coached" for that same thing when they tried to muscle me in to shutting up about my breaks. I reacted by started to EXCESSIVELY FLAMBOYANTLY ask in the CHEERIEST MANNER HUMANLY FAKEABLE for my breaks. They started giving them to me because I had obviously won the war, because if they refused to the point of me MISSING 15's, HR would side with me.

Hi, by way of introduction, I am John A. I am new to forums and this site – stumbling my way along lol. So I have a question that the administrator said would be best to be posted in the forums vs individual PMs.

While we know Target is a good place to work, just like any business, there are going to be issues that come up. I guess I have always been a person to do the right thing and make my home, work, and environment a better place. I am not a “sh..t” disturber – but I do believe we need to be heard when there are problems. Please be nice and don’t attack me for asking.

A couple of employees have voiced a concern that our breaks are not always honored, whether on time, or the length, or even being asked from time to time to help finish things up. One of my friends was not happy because she already clocked and was leaving and she was asked to help with a few things as she was leaving. It wasn’t a big deal, but still somewhat frusterating.

I have been around the block a few times, and we all know that we can go to our supervisor or their supervisor, but I think you and I know that doesn’t foster good relationship and definitely won’t put us in the front of the line for a promotion.

So I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? I was somewhat disappointed when I asked someone on the board that they harped on me like I was saying a curse word in church. If there is a problem that needs to be dealt with, then we as employees, should address those. Asking is not a sin.

So I can just say nothing or ask to see if others are experiencing any such problems. If so, maybe someone could help me write a letter or contact someone at Target to address the concern. It would be more effective if a group of people experiencing the same thing co-authored a letter than letting a single employee have to deal with this individually, right?

I am sorry if some feel offended just by the fact that I ask. But the bottom line is the reason companies offer good working conditions is because of the employees that ask questions right?

Thanks for any feedback. Good or bad, I am happy to read your responses. If you are concerned about privacy, feel free to PM me. Thanks for reading my post :)

sometimes i am asked to skip my break to finish up work

I am a GSA and when I make the breakout for our cashiers/food ave/service desk I always leave a little room for things to be pushed back. I am a stickler for breaks. I want mine on time, so I will make sure you get yours on time. Occasionally things will get pushed back when I am on my break (the LOD forgets to send people) so there is a lot of catch up, but I will get on a lane before I make someone skip a break.

There are so many things wrong with this "article" that it boggles the mind. I'm on my phone, or I'd go in to more detail, but let's use this gem as an example:

The guy who wanted to get to his all important party... So you knew that store policy was to hold you for, gasp, a maximum of a half an hour while making sure all was well for the next day, but your party was so important as to merit violation of said policy? Furthermore, when has using the intercom been ok? So you violated store policy twice, because they were inconveniencing you? You know there are only like 5 states where they have to let you out of the store for your breaks? You then proceeded to "cuss out" your boss, presumably in front of other employees, and you didn't expect to be fired? You're an idiot.

There are so many things wrong with this "article" that it boggles the mind. I'm on my phone, or I'd go in to more detail, but let's use this gem as an example:

The guy who wanted to get to his all important party... So you knew that store policy was to hold you for, gasp, a maximum of a half an hour while making sure all was well for the next day, but your party was so important as to merit violation of said policy? Furthermore, when has using the intercom been ok? So you violated store policy twice, because they were inconveniencing you? You know there are only like 5 states where they have to let you out of the store for your breaks? You then proceeded to "cuss out" your boss, presumably in front of other employees, and you didn't expect to be fired? You're an idiot.

While I agree that the person telling the story was a tool, if I am off the clock I'm out the door. Either we are walking out or I'm punching back in. It's my time Mr. Hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back