Is the receiving job still considered a job?

Our receiver does all of the above and also works all of the PIPO pallets off the truck. I do what I can to help her out- organize the repacks when I am putting some away, loading the bale straight on to the truck after I make it, asked her to show me how to take care of my own defects so I don't pile them onto her desk, clean up the salvage pallet. Hell, I've even stacked, shrinked, and loaded extra pallets onto the sweep truck too. Tossed plastic recycling bags in on top.

Our receiver does all of the above and also works all of the PIPO pallets off the truck. I do what I can to help her out- organize the repacks when I am putting some away, loading the bale straight on to the truck after I make it, asked her to show me how to take care of my own defects so I don't pile them onto her desk, clean up the salvage pallet. Hell, I've even stacked, shrinked, and loaded extra pallets onto the sweep truck too. Tossed plastic recycling bags in on top.

We would share our chocolate stash with you.. 😊

The receiver job is still a real job at my store. Given a large enough work force, it's likely there will be at least one or two slackers. At your store, it happens to be the receiver, according to you.
However, I'd point out that schmoozing is part of the job for some people. I used to work in a different industry where schmoozing was an art form. Those who were good at it were much more successful. Our receiver schmoozes a bit with the UPS drivers, vendors, those who pick up our donate-able product, etc. She maintains good relationships with all those folks and it benefits the store.
She does a ton of other stuff too; lemme tell ya, we all notice when she takes a vacation and we're all glad when she's back again.

I get to clean up all the broken crap under the line. Today it was a case of bleach. My nose is still burning from that.
I get to push the line out of the trailer if the unload peeps are behind or forget.
That’s on inbound to do no excuses . Spills should be cleaned immediately even if it means to stop the unload . Once truck is done skate should be put away by the unloader and a inbound Tl.
Three times a week, move those cardboard bales, hanger bins, empty pallets, CRC, plastic recycle, metal recycle, and repacks, load that on the sweep trailer going back while doing everything else on this list.
You can fix this by calling transportation and adding a sweep everyday . Much easier than having your receiving full with pallets .
And good job .

That’s on inbound to do no excuses . Spills should be cleaned immediately even if it means to stop the unload . Once truck is done skate should be put away by the unloader and a inbound Tl.

You can fix this by calling transportation and adding a sweep everyday . Much easier than having your receiving full with pallets .
And good job .

When she is the only leader in the store, I take the hit for the clean up. She is pulled in to many directions. Let it sit for a couple hours stinking away until she could get to it or clean it up? I cleaned it up. Let's just say that the unload team is a long term project of getting it right. Spills on the line is not the battle she has picked right now.. Getting the line out of the trailer was a battle she picked and that has gotten better in the last few months. Along with spills in the trailer being cleaned up. What she is doing is working so I am not about to mess with her methods.

Three sweeps a week seems to work when transport doesn't change what days they want. Cause we normally have a sweep the day after C&S delivery which when we are really heavy on pallets.. And SFS has been shipping wrapped pallets out to UPS since the pandemic started so that helps to keep them flowing out as well.

And Thank you!

Last edited:
Spills on the line is not the battle she has picked right now..
No disrespect by any means , but spills are non-negociable. It’s a safety problem and should be addressed immediately. You would clean a spill on the floor right away so guests wouldn’t injured . Well on the line you have a team that need to know that safety is a priority over speed .Stop the truck and addressed the issue would be my advice.
Again no disrespect to your leader .

Since Modernization, the receiver in my store has been labeled a GMTL. Same with the Backroom ETL, he is now the GM ETL. They pretty much do the same jobs but the titles are different.

Is this not the same in other stores?

Since Modernization, the receiver in my store has been labeled a GMTL. Same with the Backroom ETL, he is now the GM ETL. They pretty much do the same jobs but the titles are different.

Is this not the same in other stores?
Varies on each store and their volume. Our backroom TL became fulfillment TL and receiver is still a regular receiver. Backroom ETL merged with the GM ETL that oversees fufillment and more-over GM inbound. We still have our Inbound ETL.

No disrespect by any means , but spills are non-negociable. It’s a safety problem and should be addressed immediately. You would clean a spill on the floor right away so guests wouldn’t injured . Well on the line you have a team that need to know that safety is a priority over speed .Stop the truck and addressed the issue would be my advice.
Again no disrespect to your leader .

That should tell you how fucked up inbound is that is a battle she had to let go for the moment. They can't be bothered to do a lot of things and she is picking battles of when to crack the whip. I have the same TM that has worked here longer than I have come to me every few days wanting me to do their defectives, I have to show her how to do them every time.. No issues she just doesn't want to do them. She has to do them.

Back