Archived Is there a form to file for harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronixRockstar

Elec/MMB Trainer
I have talked to my ETL of HR, and I have a serious case against another TM. Does anyone know if there is a specific form I need to sign? My leaders seem to want me to look the other way, but it violates four harassment policies and one zero tolerance policy from the handbook. I just want to know if there is a form that I should have seen by now.

Thanks!

the new team member handbooks were handed out just recently at my store (1) and 2. there is the the integrity hotline 800-541-6838

I have talked to my ETL of HR, and I have a serious case against another TM. Does anyone know if there is a specific form I need to sign? My leaders seem to want me to look the other way, but it violates four harassment policies and one zero tolerance policy from the handbook. I just want to know if there is a form that I should have seen by now.

Thanks!

If that's legit that leaders want you to "look the other way" and have in as many words said that to you, you can add a second zero tolerance policy. That's despicable on their part.

Thanks, I do already have the new handbook. Plan is to talk to my STL then hotline if necessary.

Without divulging too much, a TM made discriminatory remarks to me and to others about me, after punching a large toy ball right in front of me in anger. I am a minority that is legally protected in my state. In my sit down, my ETL HR made it clear she wants to just talk through this and have the two of us be able to work together again. I havent put anything in writing or signed anything yet; I fear she didnt want me to make my complaint official.

Another ETL in the room made an offensive statement that included the suggestion that I should get used to those comments because I will hear it for the rest if my life. What he said broke state law and extremely upset me. But he is near retirement and has worked for target 20+ years. I feel like such a second class citizen with no respect in my store from my leaders. I just don't know what to do.

Document those events with who, when & where. Your hr maybe reviewing your info with the other parties involved. It is suggested to talk to your stl, without delay. Because when you call the hotline, they are going talk to your stl & etl-hr.

Make sure you write everything down, in detail, times dates and word for word as best you remember it.
Don't let this slide.
You don't have to put up with this.
For what it's worth we have your back.

I just want to add a slightly different perspective here that hasn't been mentioned.

Make sure, for your own sake, before you turn them in, file a report, etc., that you think about what the repercussions for the other people will be. Make sure that you're okay with getting them fired. Yes, they loaded that gun and pointed it at their heads by making their comments, but it'll still be you pulling the trigger. I'm not saying you'd be wrong to do so--I'd probably do so myself in your situation. But you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat two months later and think, "Wow, that guy is unemployed now because I got him fired. What did he tell his kids? Did this affect his marriage?" etc. Again, all of that stuff is 99% his fault, not yours--but at some point, you're probably going to forget that, and blame yourself for it, at least temporarily.

Now for all I know, the TM in question is 17 and there won't be any real repercussions for you to worry about. I'm just saying, think it through before you make any moves--even if it's the right move to make, you need to know that you're okay with all of the results. It may be better for your mental health to take a different approach, if it's possible and safe to do so. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
I just want to add a slightly different perspective here that hasn't been mentioned.

Make sure, for your own sake, before you turn them in, file a report, etc., that you think about what the repercussions for the other people will be. Make sure that you're okay with getting them fired. Yes, they loaded that gun and pointed it at their heads by making their comments, but it'll still be you pulling the trigger. I'm not saying you'd be wrong to do so--I'd probably do so myself in your situation. But you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat two months later and think, "Wow, that guy is unemployed now because I got him fired. What did he tell his kids? Did this affect his marriage?" etc. Again, all of that stuff is 99% his fault, not yours--but at some point, you're probably going to forget that, and blame yourself for it, at least temporarily.

Now for all I know, the TM in question is 17 and there won't be any real repercussions for you to worry about. I'm just saying, think it through before you make any moves--even if it's the right move to make, you need to know that you're okay with all of the results. It may be better for your mental health to take a different approach, if it's possible and safe to do so. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the support guys and this perspective. Fortunately, he's early 20's and is leaving in a couple of months to another state either way. He isn't a very good team member anyway. He calls off almost once a week, and he isn't very friendly. It isn't a big loss, even before the comments.

You shouldn't ever have to consider the repercussions for someone else when they are the one harassing you. Silly thing to post to someone asking for help on harassment.

Op I really hope you call integrity. They will drop the hammer on that tm and etl, and make your workplace less discriminatory. You are protected from retaliation too.

Last edited by a moderator:

You shouldn't ever have to consider the repercussions for someone else when they are the one harassing you. Silly thing to post to someone asking for help on harassment.

Op I really hope you call integrity. They will drop the hammer on that tm and etl, and make your workplace less discriminatory. You are protected from retaliation too.

Sigh. It should be clear if you read the post that I am only concerned with the repercussions for the person being harassed, not the people responsible for the harassment.

Sigh. It should be clear if you read the post that I am only concerned with the repercussions for the person being harassed, not the people responsible for the harassment.

The OP said that they are the person being harassed, so it doesn't work in that context sorry. Also, retaliation is a fireable offense.

And the ETL needs to be retrained, to suggest you might as well get used to it is offensive and wrong.

The OP said that they are the person being harassed, so it doesn't work in that context sorry. Also, retaliation is a fireable offense.

If you don't think I'm entirely on OP's side in this, you aren't reading what I wrote. My point was that even when you do the absolutely, undeniably right thing, you might end up coming to regret it later. That's an unavoidable consequence of being a compassionate person. I just wanted the OP to make sure he didn't do something that he might later feel he hadn't actually needed to do. And, in fact, I explicitly pointed out that if it was a safety concern, he needed to report it. I even said explicitly that in OP's situation, I would report the person. Again, I'm only looking out for the OP's well-being here.

If you don't think I'm entirely on OP's side in this, you aren't reading what I wrote. My point was that even when you do the absolutely, undeniably right thing, you might end up coming to regret it later. That's an unavoidable consequence of being a compassionate person. I just wanted the OP to make sure he didn't do something that he might later feel he hadn't actually needed to do. And, in fact, I explicitly pointed out that if it was a safety concern, he needed to report it. I even said explicitly that in OP's situation, I would report the person. Again, I'm only looking out for the OP's well-being here.

Sometimes the right things to do is also the hardest thing to do. Actions have consequences. That ETL, not matter where they are in their career, needs to be held accountable. I don't care if he/she's fresh out of college without a responsibility in the world or a parent with 6 mouths to feed. It's that "well, they could lose their job and it could ruin their life" mentality that allows things like this to continue.

OP, best of luck to you.

There is no formal form for you to fill out. But document those events. And gather any witnesses to confirm your story.

You will have to go to your STL, ETL-HR, your area ETL or Integrity Hotline.

Consider repercussions??? If a team member feels like they are being harassed. They should report it. Does not matter what will happen after that if the harasser gets coached, fired, or spouse leaves them. The harasser made the wrong choice.

Just to let you know harassment is very hard to prove and has to met certain guidelines such as sex, religion, orientation, and race. Thats why you have to document incidents and have witnesses. Which you probably have a case. I had ETLs that just plain didn't like me because I stood up against them and their backstabbing. I could not do the same in this case.

Last edited:
Im wondering what a legally protected minority is? Not to be rude but sounds like the endangered species list, least concern, threatened, protected minority, maybe im weird,

Get all your thoughts, memories of events, and dates written down and call the HOTLINE. You do not have to wait on your HR to come back to you. Report it NOW.

Sure you might feel a tug at your heart when you find out someone lost their job over this but it was not and will not be your fault.

Hotline is going to ask you who in leadership you spoke to about this. Tell them everything.

BTW I know that feeling, the tug on the heart. I called the Hotline and someone was fired. It is not a great feeling to know you had a hand in the termination but no matter what it would never have happened if that person did not do what they did. Calling is the right thing to do.

I would definitely call the hotline and report this incident! Not at Target-- since I am new, but I was in a similar harassment situation with opposite sex co-workers in another job and I remember being afraid and worried to tell anybody for fear or being fired or even repercussions, so I refused to do anything about it. I regret that choice and I personally think you should look into it...especially when higher ups are becoming involved in such hurtful comments. It's unprofessional and not what I would expect from part of a solid team.

Im wondering what a legally protected minority is? Not to be rude but sounds like the endangered species list, least concern, threatened, protected minority, maybe im weird,

It's means that I have special rights that protect me from harassment and discrimination. Examples being orientation, religion, race, etc.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Tomorrow I am meeting with an advocate who a team member recommended. He knows my state laws well as well as state representatives. Then, I am going to talk to my STL on Wednesday. Depending on how my meeting goes, I will be calling the integrity hotline either way. The STL and the ETL who made the offensive remark are really good friends, and I'm afraid my STL won't act in the way he should.

Again, if anyone else has advice, I'm all ears. I've been really upset and anxious about this, and your support has helped.

Glad you made the decision to make the call. It is the best way to get action.

OFF TOPIC but everyone deserves the same rights as far as being discriminated against. Because I may not be a minority does not mean I get less special rights. No one deserves to be discriminated again no one no matter how many or few people of this group their might be. Bugs the crap out of me that people think they deserve or should get special treatment because they are of some other race, gender or religion than the majority of people.

OFF TOPIC but everyone deserves the same rights as far as being discriminated against. Because I may not be a minority does not mean I get less special rights. No one deserves to be discriminated again no one no matter how many or few people of this group their might be. Bugs the crap out of me that people think they deserve or should get special treatment because they are of some other race, gender or religion than the majority of people.

Well, maybe my wording was a little off. Minority groups realisticly have extended rights by being part if the EEOC umbrella. This is only to allow instances of discrimination to be classified as a discrimination instead of just harassment. For example, saying a gay joke to a straight person may be harassment, but saying it to a gay person is discrimination. Same instance if you apply the same joke between races. Being a minority isn't easy, and it's hard to achieve social justice. These extended rights don't take away from the majority, just help protect the minorities.

Calling the hotline will do you no good because it just circles back to your etl hr and stl to investigate. My suggestion to you is to get your hrbp's phone number and talk to them!
Not if you are reporting on their actions also. In my situation the DTL came in and asked me questions, he knew who I was because I shared my name on the hotline call. I do agree that the more higher ups that know the more likely it is something will be done.

Calling the hotline will do you no good because it just circles back to your etl hr and stl to investigate. My suggestion to you is to get your hrbp's phone number and talk to them!
Not if you are reporting on their actions also. In my situation the DTL came in and asked me questions, he knew who I was because I shared my name on the hotline call. I do agree that the more higher ups that know the more likely it is something will be done.

This comment was particularly helpful. I was worried about the hotline not being overly effective.

Well, maybe my wording was a little off. Minority groups realisticly have extended rights by being part if the EEOC umbrella. This is only to allow instances of discrimination to be classified as a discrimination instead of just harassment. For example, saying a gay joke to a straight person may be harassment, but saying it to a gay person is discrimination. Same instance if you apply the same joke between races. Being a minority isn't easy, and it's hard to achieve social justice. These extended rights don't take away from the majority, just help protect the minorities.

My ETL has made disparaging remarks about gay people in front of me. She has said that "people have a right to have their own opinion and dislike a lifestyle." I was the only one in the room at the time. The comment was in reference to a restaurant chain whose founder is anti-gay. The ETL mentioned going to the restaurant and seeing protestors outside. It didn't feel very good to hear her talk like that, but I never told anyone. Not harassment, but definitely not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back