Archived Is There A Limit To Price Match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
Today I saw a guest price match like 3 video games and a couple of plushies using Walmart and amazon, I think. The TM and I were kind of just standing there looking at each other when we realized the guest had price matches for all the stuff. I didn't ring her up but, from what I remember, she price matched 3 Switch games and a Mario plushie. She saved about $40 bucks. After this happened, I just kind of wondered if we have a limit to how many items can get price matched. No one has ever told me if there was. No team lead or etl. Actually, now that I think about it, only guest services team members have told me about price match. I didn't even know we did that until they told me when I bought a router for my computer.

Last edited:
Our policy is one price match. But if it is a price match from Target.com, we usually let that slide and do more. My reason? If the app is showing the target.com price while the guest is in the store looking at the item, why not? It’s a design flaw on Targets end.

At my store, we will let you price match multiple items, but only one of each specific item. So, if you have 3 of the same Tide laundry soap that you want to price match, you can only price match one of them.

What's the big idea behind capping the number of price matches, unless it's an egregious discount ($19 to $7, for example)?
Target gets the money instead of the competitor, so... no comprende.

We do 2 identical items per household per day. Was per guest but some guy was trying to say his 3 year old son would be paying for the other 2 he wanted so now it’s household. Lol

What's the big idea behind capping the number of price matches, unless it's an egregious discount ($19 to $7, for example)?
I feel like maybe because our prices are the way they are for a reason and if we sell like multiple of a product way below selling price we won’t even be making a profit off it

At my store we get a lot of couponers who try to match prices to things that are hard to verify and then try to use target and manufacturer coupons on top of that (which is technically still valid) to bring things down to a very low price. This is why we limit it to one of each item. And if someone is trying to price match 3 of the same electronics or video game or whatever you just know there’s something weird going on

Our policy is one price match. But if it is a price match from Target.com, we usually let that slide and do more. My reason? If the app is showing the target.com price while the guest is in the store looking at the item, why not? It’s a design flaw on Targets end.
I just wish they'd fix the issue where the app shows future, unactivated price changes. My store finally stopped honoring those prices per the DTL so it's been causing a lot of arguments.

I just wish they'd fix the issue where the app shows future, unactivated price changes. My store finally stopped honoring those prices per the DTL so it's been causing a lot of arguments.
THIS!!! It'll say "$10.48 at STORENAME" but the clearance hasn't actually been activated yet, plus it doesn't show up in the price match app.
@tmap98 @mobilelady

I wanted to match nail polish that was 7.99 somewhere else vs 8.99 at target and I wanted 2 colors but they would only let me match 1. I thought that was kind of ridiculous. This was with the GSTL that doesn't particularly like me. I do respect that she is one of the few that won't give the store away but there is a happy medium.

THIS!!! It'll say "$10.48 at STORENAME" but the clearance hasn't actually been activated yet, plus it doesn't show up in the price match app.
@tmap98 @mobilelady
I'm not sure how it hasn't been fixed since guests complain about it on social media CONSTANTLY since most stores don't match obvious error prices.

I wanted to match nail polish that was 7.99 somewhere else vs 8.99 at target and I wanted 2 colors but they would only let me match 1. I thought that was kind of ridiculous. This was with the GSTL that doesn't particularly like me. I do respect that she is one of the few that won't give the store away but there is a happy medium.

Yeah that’s a little unreasonable of her. It’s only 2 bucks

At my store, we will let you price match multiple items, but only one of each specific item. So, if you have 3 of the same Tide laundry soap that you want to price match, you can only price match one of them.
That makes sense. For more expensive things like home improvement, furniture, games, consoles etc. I can see why only 1 item would be allowed. I'm not trained for cashier so, maybe this is why no one tells me this stuff.

Yeah. I think if its reasonable price, it should be allowed. If we're looking at giving up $10 per item though, then I think the cap is more reasonable than matching all the items so the guest can be happy.

We do 2 identical items per household per day. Was per guest but some guy was trying to say his 3 year old son would be paying for the other 2 he wanted so now it’s household. Lol
LOL! I wish I was cashier sometimes to witness these kind of moments.

According to shop with confidence - https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/shop-with-confidence: "We reserve the right to limit price quantities of price matches per identical item per guest for local and/or online competitor matches."

Someone from Corporate Guest Relations said that each store can set their own limit on how many quantities per item that a guest is allowed to price match. Check with your leaders to see if your store set any limits.
Thank you! I'll check the link and talk to my TL.

I feel like maybe because our prices are the way they are for a reason and if we sell like multiple of a product way below selling price we won’t even be making a profit off it
True, that would make sense. But if it's just a few dollars (or better yet, a minor percentage of our competitor's price), we won't lose much. Maybe it should be percentage-based.

Hey all. Question: is anyone getting the Amazon price match for the beer? My store has been denying it because the Zon is out of stock. Just curious if anyone’s store is allowing it.

The price is so cheap because beer is only deliverable in Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, and Virginia. Amazon lowered the price because so few people can actually order it. If you order it anywhere but these states your order will be cancelled.

At my store we get a lot of couponers who try to match prices to things that are hard to verify and then try to use target and manufacturer coupons on top of that (which is technically still valid) to bring things down to a very low price. This is why we limit it to one of each item. And if someone is trying to price match 3 of the same electronics or video game or whatever you just know there’s something weird going on
The policy, at least as it was given to me when it was implemented, was that the item has to be an exact match to the competitor idem (same brand, model, pattern, etc.). If a guest has multiple identical items, only one can be price matched (Though this rule usually gets fudged a bit, as long as the quantity is not unreasonable). A guest can use a manufacturer coupon on the price match item, but not a Target coupon or Cartwheel. The item has to be in-stock online. The item has to be shipped and sold by the retailer, no third-party vendors. And it has to be a price that is available to the general public (For example: no Amazon Prime)

Hey all. Question: is anyone getting the Amazon price match for the beer? My store has been denying it because the Zon is out of stock. Just curious if anyone’s store is allowing it.
My store allows it. Anything to make Karen happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back